What constitutes a "blank"

Spider

I nearly blanked on the river tonight, something I never do, and have an aversion to!

But what is a blank? For example, if you have fish on, and they get off, is that a blank... I wud have thought it isn't, because you fooled the fish... He just got off, and good luck to him.

Or is it just that if you don't bring the fish to hand, or touch the leader, then that's a blank?

My take is that a blank means you totally flunk, and don't even hook a fish.

Thoughts?

blue diamond

I nearly blanked on the river tonight, something I never do, and have an aversion to!

But what is a blank? For example, if you have fish on, and they get off, is that a blank... I wud have thought it isn't, because you fooled the fish... He just got off, and good luck to him.

Or is it just that if you don't bring the fish to hand, or touch the leader, then that's a blank?

My take is that a blank means you totally flunk, and don't even hook a fish.

Thoughts?
For me if I don't land a fish regardless of how many I've hooked then I have blanked, as in the ones that got away don't count.

Hardrar

A blank is not a real blank unless it us prefixed by ‘Blankety’.

Regards

CLaG
In some countries they fish the fly with the hook removed at the bend - so purposefully just want to fool the fish and never play it or land it, this is quite common in Scandinavian countries now, to my mind it’s only a blank if you don’t receive an offer. We return 99.99% of fish these days anyway.

BobP

Back in the day when I did a lot of competitions we had a saying. "Lost fish don't count." You could lose 10 fish in a comp and you were still blank.

Once I gave up comps and went totally c & r I decided that if I got a fish to the net and it got off at the last second I would count it caught. It was going back anyway so is it really necessary to actually lift it out of the water? In my view it is not.

Anything that "refuses" to let go and ends up in the net is given as much recovery time as they need before being released.

Tangled

You've got to have it in the net or on the bank or otherwise incapable of escaping to claim you've caught it.

But really, who cares? If you're not in a competition or feeding the family; make up your own rules.

I'm happy when they fall off near the net so long as they're not personal bests - everybody likes the occasional photo.

Hardrar

In Yorkshire a blank day is not a single offer or take, if you get offers and takes but don’t net a fish we say you’ve been “Watta-Likd” 😁 but it’s not a blank- small technical difference.

kingf000

For me if I don't land a fish regardless of how many I've hooked then I have blanked, as in the ones that got away don't count.
Interesting, by this definition I blank most of the time as I very rarely land or handle the fish, but unhook them in the water without touching them. With barbless hooks it is dead easy. The only time I net them is if the fly isn't accessible.

shortcircuit

I have sort of a sliding scale.

An "effing blank" is where I never even hooked a fish.

"I blanked, but . . ." is where I might have hooked a fish or two and then lost them !

eddleston123

The fish has to be in the net to count.

When we start talking about grey areas ie, Got the fish to the rim of the net - Deceived the fish as it rose to my fly - Hooked the fish but it detached itself, were does the definition of catching begin and end?

This is all 'thin edge of the wedge' stuff. What next, 'the fish stirred as my nymph went passed' (so I didn't blank)

Every angler to their own - whatever makes you happy!

Douglas

Cap'n Fishy

If you don't land it you haven't landed it! Like a catch in cricket it has to be totally under your control to count. CR has introduced so much BS in to fishing, as if there wasn't enough before.

A catch in cricket is a great analogy. "I nearly caught the ball, but dropped it at the last second, so I think the batsman should be out anyway." Aye, right! 🤪

No fish landed = a blank for me. Club competitions: only fish netted count.

But if folk want to make up their own private rules, that's fine...

However, if I have had offers and lost a couple, then I have had some 'sport'. At the end of the day, we are looking for sport.

Col

Overmiwadrers

Are we referring to blanks fishing or what gets reported on the club end of season catch report to the secretary?

As someone who has at times collated these for a club for many members you need to take a view .

Reported catch 1 BT , Actual catch Blank
Reported catch 2 BT , Actual catch 2 rose but missed
Reported catch 3 BT including a 2lbr , Actual catch 2 BT including one about 1 1/4
Reported catch 3 BT and 1 Grayling of 2lb Actual catch 2 BT and a grayling of about a pound , maybe one and a quarter maximum.

Sorry but you get my drift .

As for me a blank is exactly that no fish in the net. nearlys or not quites dont count.

O M W

Last edited:

Elwyman

I fished for sea trout on Monday night.
First fish I hooked was a decent one about 2lb, which took the fly near the far bank. It jumped twice and I thought it was going to land in the grass! I got it to midstream and it kept jumping. As I tried to get it close in the hook pulled.
I hooked another which came off after a few seconds, and later on I had 2 good pulls which came off after a few head shakes.

I put a 'nil' in my fishing log but it didn't feel like a 'blank'. I beach quite a few fish....not onto the gravel, keeping them in the water....I'd count a fish which escaped after I'd touched it with my hand.

Latest posts