What did you tie today?

GraylingFin

Today I tied a few nymphs to top up the box.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_223523.jpg
    IMG_20210512_223523.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 45

BobP

I've been tying gammarus patterns for 50 years and am now on Mk.11 of the basic design I first did in 1971. I have no intention of there being a Mk 12, though I said that about Mks 8, 9, and 10.

The pattern I have settled on uses Thin Skin for a shellback, Clear and durable and saves mucking around with glues, varnishes etc. Also, long experience had shown that fishing with one for a few minutes rapidly fluffs out the body, so no need to spend time picking it out with a needle. I tie them on size 16 FM5065 and use tungsten beads in 2.5 & 3mm. Colours are pink, rainbow, black, copper, silver. Simple and lethally effective.

This morning I knocked up 5 size 16 black Klinks as there are plenty of hawthorn flies around.

boisker

Variations on tried and tested theme.... golden olive stripped peacock quill, over a primrose yellow thread bed, with gaps left between the peacock wraps... very thin covering of a thin uv resin which darkens the yellow thread...

colliedog

Peterson's Pennells

20210515_093634.jpg

Tail: Glo brite 10 (OP on the left)
Butt and Rib: Sybai flat wire, medium silver
Body: black seal fur
Body Hackle: black cock
Head Hackle: dark green peacock

This is a variant, the original having a GP crest tail. As an alternative to peacock you can use the dark green collar off a GP or even a big shiny black hen.

The Sybai flat coated wire has become a staple for me. A cross between. A wire rib and old fashioned flat metal tinsel. Very strong.

A favourite for a dirty day on the lochs. Obviously great on the bob but works very well as a tail fly on a sinker too.

Here is an 18in fish it caught recently on a hill loch.

20210511_202852.jpg

Highly recomended

20210515_095400.jpg

Last edited:

dave b

Last night I tied some Bloodworm epoxy buzzers on a size 12 Fulling Mill black nickel nymph hook. UTC Ultra yellow/olive 70 thread, Hends 0.14 red wire and an antron breather.
They were tied for myself and as part of a box for a friend who has just taken up fly fishing to set him off on the right foot.

20210517_185528.jpg

20210517_193240.jpg

GEK79

Last night I tied some Bloodworm epoxy buzzers on a size 12 Fulling Mill black nickel nymph hook. UTC Ultra yellow/olive 70 thread, Hends 0.14 red wire and an antron breather.
They were tied for myself and as part of a box for a friend who has just taken up fly fishing to set him off on the right foot.

View attachment 39341

View attachment 39339
Fantastic your friend is lucky.. Hope to have an update of their fishing.. Nice buzzers. 👍👍

The Endrick Spider

Phantom Lava. Over the past few nights fishing I have been doing really well but missing dozens and dozens of takes. Because of my age I understand that my reactions to a taking fish will become a lot slower but these takes I am talking about are different. It is not the case of having a take and missing the fish, the take is like a rat, tat, tat, tat, tat and there is nothing there, no resistance whatsoever. It has actually got me thinking that the fish are taking the knot on the cast of the droppers and not the fly at all if that is at all possible for that is what it feels like, a knot being pulled through teeth. Although I managed 3 fish last night I missed dozens without even as much as hooking any of them. I was getting so frustrated I packed in early for it was worse than fishing a heavy caenis hatch which has still to come. I got the fish on a size 14 Teal and black, the other flies I was using was a size 14 Black Pennell and a black midge pupa. We will see what happens when using phantom lava tied on the last remaining size 12 silver Alex Martins outpoints that I purchased back in the 1960's. Olive silk; Body, clear stretched industrial polythene, The hackle is a well marked badger.

Latest posts