What do you carry fly and tippet wise for river trout

Open loop

I use Hardy's co-polymer tippet in 6x-3x, the finer being for dry flies the thicker for streamers. I like Hardy's 9ft tapered leaders, I remove the last 30-45 cm and add a tippet ring and then 5ft of tippet. For small stream fishing I like MrTrout's furled leaders as I find them excellent at close range.

Nymphs - I mostly fish tungsten bead head flies and carry them in 2.5, 3 and 3.5mm. The ones below cover 90% of my needs.

Red tag,
olive nymph,
GRHE
and pheasant tail.

Dries - Probably 80 % of all the fish I catch come on one of the patterns below. I do like a good emerger as a search pattern.

Dirty duster,
f-fly,
IOBO,
klinks,
DHE,
Griffith gnat,
deer hair sedge
and the Greenswell.

Last edited:

rabmax

Been using Konger Steelon for a while.It"s great stuff use it in 0.14mm & 0.12mm.

streamerjunkie

Most of my success on the Wandle has been with straight RIO Fluoroflex Plus or Powerflex Plus in 6X - about 5ft or so... This is with a 6'8" 3wt C. Barclay glass rod as well. Try not to overthink it Tim!

andygrey

Another vote for Stroft GTM. I carry it in 5 spools from 0.08mm to 0.16mm (VERY roughly 2lb, 3lb, 4lb, 5lb and 6lb). The best tippet material I've used (and I've tried a few...). Knot-strength is good but I find you need to tuck a clinch-knot for flies larger that S16.

PaulD

On still waters I generally use Asso fluorocarbon or Rio Powerflex both of which I've found to be very reliable in appropriate diameters.

However, like Andy above, I do have a preference for Stroft GTM on rivers. I carry it from 4X down to 8X, Also, I usually have a spool of Varivas 9X tucked about my person too, because I'm a bit of a 'twerp' for fishing tiny flies.

matt808

Frog hair (fluoro) was all i used last year. I like it but at nearly a tenner for 25m I wish I'd picked up more of the 50p spools of greys tippet while John Norris was selling it off. The frog hair is a bit steep really for what it is.

heathenwoods

I guess it comes down to what suits your knot tying. I've wandered in and out of the Stroft camp. I've never quite trusted it 100% but have used Frog Hair copoly for the past year+ quite happily. I carry 4x, 5x, and 6x. I did try Orvis Superstrong for a very short time. Nope.

So, for me, Frog Hair 4x, 5x, 6x on either Hardy tapered leaders for dries or a bi-colour braided leader for nymphing or duo (with a bit more tippet for duo). And if I'm feeling very lazy or want to minimise what I'm carrying I'll just leave the braided leader spool on and use it for everything - again, adding a little more length of tippet for dry only.

Flies? Bead headed nymphs. Dark with silver heads, light with gold heads. Both with black heads. Typically variations on PTs or GRHEs. Often with some peacock coloured dubbing somewhere in the mix. Sizes 18-12.
Dries. Klinks, parachute Adams, Griffiths, CDC emergers, Nondescript sedge, CDC and elk sedge. A couple of mayfly patterns, May-June.
Spiders. Whichever of the classics I fancy tying. But there's always a waterhen bloa in my selection.

So, ideally, as little as possible: Three spools of tippet that slot together, one box of flies, one reel and (maybe) a spare spool.

matt808

Bought some of the middy fluorocrystal in 2.6lb, thinner for the BS and cheaper than frog hair, be interesting to see if it makes any difference, as I said I like frog hair but am still convinced it's a rip -off.

flyfisher222

Although I have been fly angling for a decade and have caught a wide range of species on the fly, my jack of all trades outlook means that I have not got extremely good at one thing. This year I want to spend more time trout fishing on rivers in the south east (free stretches of mostly shallow chalkstreams etc.).

I would say that I am fairly well polished but

I want to know what tippet and fly selection member's generally carry?
The southern chalkstreams. Yes. It's what I do most.
Mostly the traditional chalkstream flies. Iron blue, Kite's imperial, black gnat, Greenwells, red quill, ginger quill, pale evening or pale watery (you don't need both), hawthorn for the early season, caperer, Lunn's particular, elk hair sedge, G&H sedge preferably orange underneath. If you must you can add a few klinkhamers, they won't do any harm.
All dry, all size 14 but you can complicate it if you want by having a few in size 16. In reality flies don't grow during their life so there is not much point in having different sizes of each one.

Plus the Sawyer pheasant tail nymph tied to his pattern, you don't need any 'ego trip' variations, and a few size 12 mayflies - I like the Mohican though their moulded foam body doesn't last long.

That's yer lot.
Don't buy American variations. Their flies are much the same as ours but just have different names, often that of the tyer.

Leader and tippet. Ordinary mono, don't bother faffing around with anything else, (I use the 9 foot Leeda Profil leaders as they are readily available) in 4X or 5X. Plus 3X for the mayfly. When they shorten due to changing flies I add a bit of Drennan Sub Surface green (again because of its easy availability) and I make it longer to give me more room for changing flies. Leader and tippet about ten foot long overall.

Above all don't overcomplicate stuff and for heaven's sake don't get all 'technical' with French this, Czech that, braided or furled whatever, indicators, brands of leader material you can only find on Mars, and all that bollox.

Last edited:

blithfield2

Tim, have fun, experiment a bit and enjoy discovering what works for you as there are few absolutes. Whatever you do, don’t listen to a closed minded monkey (if one comes along) who tells you precisely what’s what and that everything else is b****x 😉
Worry not, he's just experimenting in extremely strong, mind bending psychedelic drugs. Each time he reaches a crescendo of substance induced hysteria, he has an overwhelming urge to visit this site.......and post.......perceptively distorted bollo

Salmo Trutta

All the streams around where I fish are small and so I use solely 7-7.5ft #3/4 type rods. With these I attach either 3 or 4 ft "Mr trout" furled leaders. Thereafter 4ft of straight Maxima mono. For dries I use 2lb and nymphs or klink and dink 3lb. Tapered leaders are not required as furled leader is more than adequate and casting often has to be improvised on account of trees and bushes. Flies are generally klinkhammer with pure black and adams my main point of attack. As our waters often have white foam I use pink or orange hackle posts which stand out very well. Nymphs tend to be simple pt or grhe variants with and without bead in brass or tungsten. In Summer I find a tups good and when waters are low a deer hair emerger focusing in any fast water. However, by far the most important thing is approach. Stealth is essential for these fish being truly wild can become skittish on any undue movement. Roll on the season

sewinbasher

Bought some of the middy fluorocrystal in 2.6lb, thinner for the BS and cheaper than frog hair, be interesting to see if it makes any difference, as I said I like frog hair but am still convinced it's a rip -off.
You should perhaps consider using the correct diameter of the Middy as it would give you more b.s. than Froghair of the same diameter but obviously still present the fly properly.

geordie41

For Trout
A box of dries , a box of spiders, a couple of spare leaders 1 furled the other tapered ( I use furled mainly when fishing dries but on very slow stretches I change over to a much longer tapered leader ) , 3 lots of tippet 4x 5x and 6x all Grand max and a spare spool loaded with fly line . That does me fine on the rivers and streams I fish

speytime

Maxima and rio for the river my scale test says there good however the same test say stroft is p1ss poor over stated bs and thicker than stated.
Paying 2x the price of maxima I expect it to do what it says on the tin.

Whatever I'm using goes onto one of Mr T,s furlies I wouldn't be without them now.
Also a small box of nymphs/wets and a small box of dries.

Al

rabmax

I bought Some Middy flourocrystal in 0.12mm a while back.Have never used it & wont use it.It snaps fairly easy pulling it by hand.Not sure if it's a bad spool or if the stuff is just shite.I will stick with konger steelon as i find 0.12mm is really strong.

william henry

I carry a leader wallet with 10 number home made leaders .I always use Maxima Nylon with a 3lb point for all but my micro flies where I drop down to a 2lb point .

Latest posts