What flies are catching just now?

ian1104

Thanks for asking, I had 3 fish for the day (6hrs) 1 pulling wets and 2 with nymphs fished of a sink tip.

For all it being a cracking day weather wise I never seen a single fish rise all day, i found that unusual?
View attachment 27119View attachment 27120

Al
Had a similar day yesterday. Very hot, very bright, had one on a damsel nymph in 3 hours. I then switched to a shipman's buzzer and a deer hair hopper, both size 14. The trout only wanted them stripped back at speed (causing a disturbance on the surface). Ended up with 6 to the net.

Ian

GEK79

Had a similar day yesterday. Very hot, very bright, had one on a damsel nymph in 3 hours. I then switched to a shipman's buzzer and a deer hair hopper, both size 14. The trout only wanted them stripped back at speed (causing a disturbance on the surface). Ended up with 6 to the net.

Ian
What speed would you retrieve the damsel nymph please..

speytime

Ian
I was back up yesterday and caught 1 fish for 6 hrs 😔
I thought conditions were ideal with an overcast sky, warm, with a nice breeze and ripple, there was a few fish rising i was pretty optimistic.
I picked a fish within 5 of starting, I thought I was in for a great day..... and never touched another thing all frickin day!!!
I tried everything I could think of but nope not interested.

When I got back to the club house I learned I wasn't the only one not catching, for some reason the fish just weren't playing ball???
I can't make any sense out of it, my last visit was dire conditions but collectively there were far more fish caught than yesterday when conditions were much better 🤔
Anyone any theories???

Al

GEK79

I was back up yesterday and caught 1 fish for 6 hrs 😔
I thought conditions were ideal with an overcast sky, warm, with a nice breeze and ripple, there was a few fish rising i was pretty optimistic.
I picked a fish within 5 of starting, I thought I was in for a great day..... and never touched another thing all frickin day!!!
I tried everything I could think of but nope not interested.

When I got back to the club house I learned I wasn't the only one not catching, for some reason the fish just weren't playing ball???
I can't make any sense out of it, my last visit was dire conditions but collectively there were far more fish caught than yesterday when conditions were much better 🤔
Anyone any theories???

Al
A possible feast previous to your visit.. Damsel hatch perhaps..

lhomme

A weather change coming? Pressure dips after prolonged hot weather tend to put them off for a while. Once it's settled the fishing usually becomes very good.

speytime

Changeable weather/wind direction 👍

I remember now fishing is normally better during periods of settled weather/wind direction, probably a subject that's worthy of its own thread.

I'm not the world's greatest fisher, its not unusual for me not to catch great numbers, however there are a few good fishers at the club that blanked yesterday.

On a positive note 🎉
Fish No 2 to a dry fly 😁
_20200603_151313.JPG

Al

A weather change coming? Pressure dips after prolonged hot weather tend to put them off for a while. Once it's settled the fishing usually becomes very good.

speytime

I've caught fish on damsels with long steady pull and fo8, but to imitate a damsel you want to twitch it back to you pausing every 5/6 twitches.
A live damsel kicks and lifts itself in the water column, when it pauses for a rest it starts to sink, that what you're looking to replicate.

Al
What speed would you retrieve the damsel nymph please..