What fly was I intending to tie...?

heathenwoods

For a couple of months I've had the ingredients for a fly that I've been meaning to tie: Claret seal's fur, claret hen hackle, claret SLF. Obviously, other stuff is involved but I'm assuming it's stuff I've already got (most generic things). But I have *no* idea what I meant to tie...All I remember is that it was a wet for peaty loch-style waters...

I've been through the pile of magazines that I was certain the pattern was in but haven't found anything likely. I've seen a few bumble patterns but they all require blue cloaks and I've not got anything.

Does this combo of ingredients remind anyone of any fly in particular?
Sorry! o_O

heathenwoods

That could be a real possibility, thanks! I found this short blog post about it and they mention FF&FT (Nov 2014) and I might have a copy of that. I had thought I'd seen it in the last six months of S&T... I'll have a look...
Cheers!

heathenwoods

I'm now not even sure I wasn't thinking of two flies!
A claret Pennell is almost definitely something I was intending to tie. I like the standard pattern so this makes sense. And maybe a dabbler. But I could well tie up a couple of dark mackerel. Thanks for your help guys :)

bobmiddlepoint

For a couple of months I've had the ingredients for a fly that I've been meaning to tie: Claret seal's fur, claret hen hackle, claret SLF. Obviously, other stuff is involved but I'm assuming it's stuff I've already got (most generic things). But I have *no* idea what I meant to tie...All I remember is that it was a wet for peaty loch-style waters...

I've been through the pile of magazines that I was certain the pattern was in but haven't found anything likely. I've seen a few bumble patterns but they all require blue cloaks and I've not got anything.

Does this combo of ingredients remind anyone of any fly in particular?
Sorry! o_O
Grouse and Claret? The palmered version with a wound grouse head hackle not a grouse wing. Give it a yellow wool tail and you have Howard's Grouse & Claret which originated on the islands (Lewis I think) as a peaty water sea trout and salmon fly.

A dark mackerel has a red tinsel body so that won't use the claret seal fur.

Or just do a Claret Bumble but without the blue jay or blue peacock head hackle, just use a long black (or red, or white or red game or hot orange or whatever!) hen hackle at the head to give the life and movement.

Andy