What have you been up to today then? (Fly fishing related)

richfish1

Always nice to hear what people have been up to. It's often the little things that are the most interesting.
Unfortunately though, this evening's job was a little tedious. After using the £25 off code for Orvis and buying 1000 yds of dacron backing, I've stripped all the flylines from my cassette spools, stretched them out between trees in the gardens (with swivels on the ends to try and get rid of any twists) cleaned them, slicked the floater and midge tip, replaced backing and replaced the loops (that taffy1 kindly sent me last week) on 5 lines.
I'm pleased it's all done now though, the muck that come off the Opti Stillwater floater was unreal! But it's like new again after being cleaned and treated.
Roll on the weekend[emoji846][emoji41]

JohnH

I phoned the lodge at Sutton Bingham. Reservoir fishing quite well with the early season water clarity issues hopefully in the past. Apparently, weekly reports are being filed by the 3 reservoirs, but for whatever reason in the Wessex Water centre their website fishery report has not been updated since 9 April. Could be double fishing for me over the Bank Holiday weekend.

BobP

Tying a few size 1/0 salmon flies for a river keeper friend. Getting the kit sorted for a guiding day tomorrow.

G

guestrd

I am going to have a stroll along the river today , just a laid back kind of day , hopefully a few trout into the bargain .

haggstock

Not done much so far today beyond liquidising a banana , apple and some blueberries , then making a fried egg sandwich and a bowl of porridge . Next job tax my car , then I intend to go shoot a few clays later this morning. This afternoon I’ll put my fishing gear in the car ready for tomorrow, I’ve to be at the dentist at 9:30 , its in Howarth , well on the way to the Wharfe , so might as well take advantage . We’ve just come back from our hols so I just can’t get into all the jobs that need doing around the house ...

iainmortimer

Tied a load of Salmon JW 'nymphs' for a trip to the Test later this year (will finish them tonight)

...what did you use for cleaning/slicking your lines Rich? I'm still trying to find a method that I feel is really doing the job but it sounds like you may have one!

peanut_head75

Not today but over the weekend I once again changed my mind about what bag to use when river fishing. Every other month I seem to switch between no bag - just using my waders front pocket, a sling pack, and a waist pack. Now I'm back to the sling pack.

Next will finally try to crack the 'where to hang the net' problem.

Last edited:

mol

just paid the import duty on an Epic 686 ready to wrap kit that should be here next week.

I'm either tying nymphs this evening or heading to the river.

richfish1

Tied a load of Salmon JW 'nymphs' for a trip to the Test later this year (will finish them tonight)

...what did you use for cleaning/slicking your lines Rich? I'm still trying to find a method that I feel is really doing the job but it sounds like you may have one!
Iain, I just used a clean rag with warm soapy water, then again with just plain water. I slicked it with Airflo Whizz lube.
It was so easy to do with the lines held up between the trees.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

diawl bach

Took a look at a stonefly which landed on the wall of the cottage yesterday. Turned out to be a bit of a crep picture.

stonefly.jpg

Walked the river, only a couple of small fish rising, gave a hand getting the sheep on to the new grass and got on with cutting some plantains and brambles - trying out this Aspen 2 stroke fuel for the first time, so far so good. Shifted a huge flat stone weighing over a quarter ton which the Mrs wants as an outdoor table while the tractor was handy. As the heavens have opened taking a break now.

sheep.jpg

Attachments

Tommy Ruffe

I've been experimenting with 8lb fluorocarbon. I was puzzled as to why I've lost 3 trout and had 3 droppers broken off already this season! It seems that if you get a fish on the dropper fly and the point fly gets snagged the dropper's going to snap like cotton. Temperamental stuff that fluoro even with a figure-of-eight knot!

heathenwoods

I've shaken the dust off my breathable waders and filled them with water to find where the leaks are. The Vision ones are like a bleedin pincushion and I didn't get both legs of the Snowbee ones done. I did one leg but when I tried emptying it out I found that there's an extra layer of material that traps the water. What a palaver! So I'm going to do the other leg in the bath. I know I *could* send them off to Diver Dave to get repaired but where's the fun in that?! ;)

richfish1

I had another sort out of old flies tonight and just delivered them to a young lad that lives down the track from me, that has started to show an interest in fly fishing. He was chuffed as mothballs [emoji846] I'll see if I can find him a rod and reel now.

atr

Tied up a couple of experimental sea trout flees to go with the thousands of flies I already have.:eek:mg:Took delivery of a GR70 Comp #8,a Simms Guide waist coat with snips and some more fly tying materials.:rockon:

ohanzee

Worked from 9 to 11 am, then drove an hour to Glasgow to pick up ladders, picked up ladders and drove an hour back, realised I left my phone in Glasgow, drove an hour back to Glasgow, phone not there, searched the car for the 8th time and..found it, drove an hour back home:(

Lesson learned, next time fishing.

beryl

Our four mile dog walk includes a half mile alongside the river if I can persuade Maggie that her boots or the dogs feet won’t get muddied. I found a monster (12”) hanging midwater under some bushes in the slack water of the lower Cober. Despite gales and rain I trucked off this evening on a half a mile tramp to have a lone target pop at this prize. Despite a lot of creeping about and stealthy approach it wasn’t there anymore. I’m pleased I made the effort though. There was nothing else on offer. This time of the year huge portions of the river are fish free.

Last edited:

dave b

Didn't get to go fishing at the weekend due to the river being up, it being December temps and it blowing a gale. I decided to stay in and tie some Hawthorn's only to find Richfish had been tying a batch for himself and had beat me to posting them on the forum :fish:

Today I've been tying some flies to be auctioned off at the Monnow Social next weekend which I'm really looking forward to.

With the bank holiday coming up this weekend I won't be travelling far as the roads will be grid locked particularly if the weather is decent. May have to spend some time in the garden to earn some brownie points.

tonsils

Picked up an old Intrepid gearfly at an antiques centre in the Clyde valley for a reasonable price, its in pretty good nick.
Spent some time stripping , cleaning and re-greasing it, loaded it with a Wf6 floater and backing, will try it out at the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts