What have you been up to today then? (Fly fishing related)

fishing hobo

Always remember that the fish are often close in to the margins - try a short cast along the daffodils youd be surprised what you might pick up
I am not concerned about casting short to be honest it is easy, longer distance is always more challenging. I do agree with you that you should cast close to you first, preferably without walking up to the water's edge as fish are often close in. If you can cast a good distance it is easier to cast into the wind.

corto maltese

I spent two whole hours trying to tie knots in pheasent tail fibres, what a ball ache that is !
I watched all the how to's on u tube and none of them guys have sausage fingers like me. After two hours I had four legs so I tied Davie McPhails red tag hopper, probably the most difficult fly I've tried to tie so far. It turned out ok'ish but after three hours and only one fly I went off and did something much easier instead ! Painted the front gate and fixed an old chainsaw I got given because it was broken. Only tied one fly today but I've got another chainsaw and for free, result then 😁

colliedog

I spent two whole hours trying to tie knots in pheasent tail fibres, what a ball ache that is !
I watched all the how to's on u tube and none of them guys have sausage fingers like me. After two hours I had four legs so I tied Davie McPhails red tag hopper, probably the most difficult fly I've tried to tie so far. It turned out ok'ish but after three hours and only one fly I went off and did something much easier instead ! Painted the front gate and fixed an old chainsaw I got given because it was broken. Only tied one fly today but I've got another chainsaw and for free, result then 😁
How are you doing these? I have tried various on line methods with and without tools and aids and found them all as you put it a ball ache. Here is how I have done it for the past 35 years or so . Cut the fibres off the quill. Separate them. Hold the tip between thumb and fore finger. Form the loop and pass the cut end through. Draw knot tight adjusting its position to your preferred length as you do so.

Before I posted this I thought I would time how long it would take to cut and knot the six legs I would need for a hopper with a stopwatch...... 01:18.86, and before anyone asks, that's minutes and seconds.

Not bad considering I had left my reading glasses downstairs. Consistency is pretty good. I would take more time if I wanted the knots closer to the tip.

Attachments

Last edited:

sightbob

Walked the dog then got back to some tying , been off it since Wednesday
when i up turned my hook box and spilled nearly 2000 hooks.
Took nearly 3 hrs to sort mess out.

uptomyknee_s

My wife announced she is going to buy an all singing all dancing sewing machine.
I reckon that gives me the green light for the new Rod I've been promising myself :)

corto maltese

How are you doing these? I have tried various on line methods with and without tools and aids and found them all as you put it a ball ache. Here is how I have done it for the past 35 years or so . Cut the fibres off the quill. Separate them. Hold the tip between thumb and fore finger. Form the loop and pass the cut end through. Draw knot tight adjusting its position to your preferred length as you do so.

Before I posted this I thought I would time how long it would take to cut and knot the six legs I would need for a hopper with a stopwatch...... 01:18.86, and before anyone asks, that's minutes and seconds.

Not bad considering I had left my reading glasses downstairs. Consistency is pretty good. I would take more time if I wanted the knots closer to the tip.

Just tried this and it works, so much easier even with my sausage fingers, thanks for that 👍

corto maltese

Thanks to the tip from Colliedog I knotted up a few pheasent tail fibres to use as legs on hoppers. Much easier and quicker, thanks for the tip Sir 👍
Before that I went to work, first time in three weeks !. It was at an empty house so no risk.
It was good to get out and get some money in.
Doing it again on Thursday, I feel a lot less stressed already 😁

easker1

No it's my go to rod when I get out,one I built my self, just checking to see that the whippings are OK, easker1

Jason 70

I was sent this yesterday, I thought it was a nice little video.

Ahh stuff it, it will not play on here for some reason?

easker1

the Last time I bought legs they were still on the Quill about 4 inches of quill with the fibres tied on each side it was better than having them lying about in the box, easker1