What is fishing to you?

eddleston123

I'm sure fishing must mean a thousand and one things to all different people.
There is so many aspects of the sport.

I mainly enjoy fishing running waters, and occasionally stocked fisheries, but I probably gain
most pleasure by fishing a modest size stream, flicking a dry fly into all the nooks and crannies
for hours on end. I admit, I am a bit of a one trick pony, but that's what I enjoy.

I'm sure most anglers must have a broader spectrum than that, but if you were to only fish one style
method etc. What would it be?

Douglas

dgp

I mainly enjoy fishing running waters, and occasionally stocked fisheries, but I probably gain
most pleasure by fishing a modest size stream, flicking a dry fly into all the nooks and crannies
for hours on end. I admit, I am a bit of a one trick pony, but that's what I enjoy.

I'm sure most anglers must have a broader spectrum than that, but if you were to only fish one style

Douglas

Another 'one trick pony' here ! Love nothing more than fishing with dry flies for wild browns in beautiful countryside.

jerryrum

Is it cheating to say Klink and dink? The enjoyment of seeing fish rise to the surface, combined with the efficiency of a nymph?

My preference will always be running water, somewhere remote, far from the maddening crowds, and of course the sun is shining, but the fish are still rising.

Interestingly the species of fish is a secondary concern. In my minds eye it is small, wild browns, but I'd be just as happy with Grayling, Chub, Dace etc, so long as they were willing and able.

delray

What Is Fishing To Me? Very important having been holed up with 'er indoors for too long now.
1) Small streams, upstream dry or nymph. 2) Small rivers, the same. Wild fish every time.

diawl bach

Deleted, didn't read the question properly, derrrr
However, could never favour one style over another, it's great to fish tiny dries etc but thoroughly enjoy a Di7 and booby session off the bank if it's working!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 90002

Douglas
I don't really have a style as such but I fish with hope.. Hope that the fly I use whether wet dry nymph buzzer or fly of any description perks our beloved trouts interest.
Hope is my style..
Gary

BobP

What is fishing to me? Apart from sea fishing which has never grabbed my attention, though I quite enjoy watching sea fishing on tv, it is all about catching fish. There's not a lot I haven't done in 65+ years of fishing. I used to love my carp fishing when I was a youngster and for sheer excitement watching a decent carp sidle up to a piece of floating breadcrust, inspect it from no more than 2" away before inhaling it and then the strike and the thrashing fight to stop it from burying itself in the weedbed.

Trotting a float down the Kennet as the light fades on a February evening and you are squinting to see the top of the float disappear as another big dace takes the bait.

Sitting watching for the quiver tip to pull round as another big perch takes a fancy to the lobworm tipped with red maggots.

Pulling wets over Roman Shallows on Chew as a good rainbow homes in on the flies.

Looking for that little surface disturbance as a fish takes the emerger in a wind lane.

Fishing the long leader/deep nymph/indicator method on Farmoor in April when the fish are stuffing buzzer 10' down.

Straightline nymphing on Farmoor later in May when the fish are high in the water and they want you to join them for a swim.

Fishing dries on a wild Austrian stream up in the mountains.

Nymphing for grayling.

Fishing a big mayfly hatch on a chalkstream.

Even a day back dragging boobies on Farmoor in January.

Fishing for steelhead on a big British Columbia river and praying that you'll get lucky.

Watching a near 7' White Sturgeon imitate a Polaris missile on the Fraser River in BC.

Doing something different on a hard day and it works.

All this and more is what fishing means to me.

glosterboy

I'd struggle to pick one method it would have to be the most appropriate for the conditions but it would have to be exploring a small stream or river. Just as happy catching Chub and Dace as WBT and Grayling

wjg

No lochs, nor brown trout here. I do best enjoy upstream wets to brook trout, searun and steelhead. My cousin on the mainland cannot quietly wait until huge browns are taking dries at night on his rivers.

Jason 70

What is fishing for me?

The only time I switch off from the real world, no thoughts of work, bills to pay, family issues. And the general things we all go through in life. My wife always says " When you come home from a days fishing you are so relaxed".

I'm new to fly fishing unlike many of you guys, but a dry fly for whatever. I love to use frogs for Pike over pads, small cranks for Perch and fly fishing for Pike. I'm no good and have not been for around ten years now sitting on my 'arris fishing for Barbel. We had some great years, but just sitting now is not for me personally. I have to be doing something.

I've been asked many times over the years " Why do you fish?" my stock answer is "How can you not?" And then you chuck in the wildlife it's great this fishing lark.

dcb

If I had to choose one last trip, it would be back up to Assynt in mid June to fish the hill lochs. Stunning scenery, beautiful wee brownies and the most relaxing place in the world.

Rob_N

BobP - I was interested to see you have fished the Fraser River in BC. My uncle lived in Chilliwack and I went fishing and hunting in BC with him as a kid. Our local fishing for Salmon on the Fraser was like sea fishing, roe as bait on heavy tackle. Bells on the rod tip for bite indicators. Crude but effective. He had a camper unit which fitted on his pick up truck to go fishing and hunting off the beaten track further north. Great fun!

My favourite fishing is definitely for wild fish. Which for me is fly fishing for chub on my local river Nene backwater, no salmon, steelhead or sturgeon.. But I hope to progress to Barbel this year.

Latest posts