Fly Fishing Forum banner

What is it with this place?

7K views 105 replies 29 participants last post by  Taffy1 
#1 ·
Every thread I drop in on seems to have the same people haranguing each other over nothing.

God knows what newbies think; probably that they'll get jumped on the moment they open their mouths. If they've got any sense they'll go elsewhere.

Can we PLEASE stop jumping down people's throat just because they say something you disagree with or get a point of trivia wrong. There's a bit of a mob mentality developing that's ugly and toxic.

Just pause a bit before you start a dogpile - fishing is supposed to be fun and talking about it is half of it.

We've only just started the closed season, we've got months to go, calm down.

#2 ·
Earlier, I posted a comment that loosely echoed what another member had previously posted, and we were accused of collusion/conspiring, I'm not even sure to what perceived end!
I thought it quite odd. I'm relatively new, but have been reading the forum for a while and know of the "rough and tumble" of forum life, had I been a real greenhorn however, I'd have been put off for sure.

#12 ·
The very reason I express an opinion and and then leave it to the rest of the forum to express theirs otherwise it would deteriorate into a slanging match. Some opinions expressed on here have to meet the approval of certain members who seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on the forum and consider it their own sounding board.
A personal opinion...

To start a thread with a highly biased personal opinion likely to invoke controversy and argument, and then simply walk away and abandon it to its fate is highly irresponsible. Shame on you for doing it on numerous occasions.:thumbsdown:

#5 ·
This is a 'Forum' so you have to expect some rough and tumble.

However, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just one member debating with another, but when you get a friend continually jumping on board to re enforce that persons view, (and visa versa) it does get a bit tiresome.

Hoddit and Doddit!

Douglas

#7 ·
Can we PLEASE stop jumping down people's throat just because they say something you disagree with or get a point of trivia wrong. There's a bit of a mob mentality developing that's ugly and toxic.
Nobody has jumped down anyone's throat just because they disagree with them. Nobody has jumped down anyone's throat because they have got a point of trivia wrong.

People will however start badgering anyone who repeatedly keeps dismissing the experience of everyone else or who repeatedly gets billy basic things wrong, especially when those billy basic things are central to the subject under discussion.

If you don't know **** ask questions and listen to the answers...

Before anyone accuses me of being a know it all I tend to not ask many questions because I don't know what I don't know. I have however learned a lot from the forum just by reading the valuable contributions from those who's experience shines through.

Andy

#8 ·
Do you feel comfortable with what is happening now, with different people in different threads? Is it ok?

Reading what you've just written and given the context of the thread, do you think that an appropriate response?

#10 ·
Yes.

But if the opinion is aggressively given it's makes for an unpleasant experience. It makes the receiver feel that they need to face it down and respond in a similar nasty manner and it just escalates. It's all very playground and totally unnecessary - it just brings the worst out of everyone.

G
#14 ·
Every thread I drop in on seems to have the same people haranguing each other over nothing.

God knows what newbies think; probably that they'll get jumped on the moment they open their mouths. If they've got any sense they'll go elsewhere.

Just pause a bit before you start a dogpile - fishing is supposed to be fun and talking about it is half of it.

With your **** insult still in place, this doesn't even deserve a comment. Carry on.

#16 ·
It was ever thus. I've been a member on here since 2007 and it hasn't changed significantly. People have come and gone; some regrettably and some thankfully.

I was called a cheat and a liar by one such - now long since banned. To show how petty minded he was he even criticised my choice of headgear!

If people get too upset by some of the comments then don't forget that you have an "ignore" button. That way you don't get to read whatever nastiness they come out with unless someone else highlights it in another post.

It can be quite amusing to make a comment and then to see that they have made an immediate response. It can take quite a while before the penny drops that you are not seeing whatever drivel they are chucking out.

#19 ·
It can be quite amusing to make a comment and then to see that they have made an immediate response. It can take quite a while before the penny drops that you are not seeing whatever drivel they are chucking out.
The penny still doesn't seem to have dropped that we are pointing the bollox out to everyone else. ;)

G
#18 ·

When you started the "Understanding Mono" thread, your opening statement was this:

This is work in progress. All comments and corrections welcome. I'll edit it as better information arrives.
But all comments and corrections weren't so welcome were they?

You stuck your head above the parapet on several occasions, wearing a dunce's cap, and didn't take kindly to the odd cyber skelp on the lug.

And this thread should be in "The Lodge - non fishing chat", not here.

#20 ·
I have been kicking around on here for a couple of years and have found it fine on the whole. I have received some great advice on fishing matters and this year got involved in some of the contentious political threads. With the latter, I have actually learnt a lot and generally been treated with respect. When someone has been a bit rude or aggressive I have generally backed off and not got involved.

Most Forums are the same IMO. It would be interesting to know the demographic of this Forum - obviously almost exclusively male and probably getting on a bit age-wise? Old men can be a bit cantankerous :eek:hno:

#22 ·
#21 ·
I'm a member of several different fora, from business to tech, to motorbikes to science and religion and there are squabbles and bad tempered debates on all of them; it's inevitable where people are anonymous and distant.

But this is the most toxic I've seen. People are getting into silly fights and being banned our leaving in outrage over silly things. There is outright bullying and dogpiling by a few individuals that's polluting it for others. It's a real shame.

It doesn't take much to improve things; just think the best of the poster - don't immediately assume motive or insult. If someone is being an ar$e don't respond, it never ends well. Don't nit-pick to score points and try not to take things personally.

And please don't think I'm being a snowflake about this and start talking about kitchens and heat. I don't know the poster, I have no reputation to uphold or lose, nothing can be said that is going to bother me. Most of the time I'm just going to ignore the bollox and plough on regardless. I'm never going to report a post to the moderator that's about me though I might about others. Some people really do get upset by bullying and bad behaviour.

This isn't about me, it's about this forum. It should be a friendly place where we can discuss things that interest us, sometimes in nerdy depth sometimes trivially, but it really needs to be at least mostly friendly. Otherwise it'll be abandoned by reasonable people and left to a few squabbling children. And that would be a great shame.

#23 ·
I'm a member of several different fora, from business to tech, to motorbikes to science and religion and there are squabbles and bad tempered debates on all of them; it's inevitable where people are anonymous and distant.

It doesn't take much to improve things; just think the best of the poster - don't immediately assume motive or insult. If someone is being an ar$e don't respond, it never ends well. Don't nit-pick to score points and try not to take things personally.

..... Some people really do get upset by bullying and bad behaviour.

This isn't about me, it's about this forum. It should be a friendly place where we can discuss things that interest us, sometimes in nerdy depth sometimes trivially, but it really needs to be at least mostly friendly. Otherwise it'll be abandoned by reasonable people and left to a few squabbling children. And that would be a great shame.
The above is quite heart warming, but could you please explain your comment and sentiments in your Flouro thread regarding '****'s'? A term I find deeply offensive, particularly when it is aimed at members of this forum!

#37 ·
Someone said this is the worst forum they've ever been on. I've seen one worse, another commercially run site. There are certainly several individuals here who quickly resort to abuse, usually because they don't like the other's opinion, or who are poor at arguing their case, if they have one at all.

Why are the abusers not banned more often? Commerce of course. The more posts, the more ad revenue. Sofa says ignore the 'trolls'. But who are the trolls? Those you don't like? The ignore idea is an interesting one. How many users would we each have to 'ignore' before traffic dwindled to the point that the facility would be withdrawn.

Discussed on my blog. TNFLAOF. One for my admirers.

#38 ·
With the exception of a couple on this thread most haven’t been on this forum for very long.
You should have joined back in 2008, this place was an absolute bear pit back then, you wouldn’t last five minutes if you were easily upset.
From what I see on here some of the so called “insults” are laughable.
It’s school playground stuff in comparison, if you can’t take the heat keep out of the kitchen.
S.

#46 ·
It’s Social media , it’s a forum . It’s full of egotistical idiots and even some nice folk as well . It’s just like society at large it’s got its fair share of bullies , nutcases and even a few smart arses . If you can live with that then fine . But I’m afraid it isn’t going to change . I have been a member on and of for many many years . As Mr Trout says it used to be a lot worst but also much better at the same time .

O M W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#47 ·
not really noticed any difference from life , I have been mocked but no more than I probably deserved, but I haven't noticed any thing more than you would get in any discussion outside of the forum,nothing like the things that Gina Miller and Greta Thunberg are suffering,:eek:mg: easker1

G
#48 ·
Greta is a giant, the flack she's taking as a child should humble us all and will make her an icon, if she lives to see the day. It's the world we live in today that forces me to add the last gruesome words. I pray for Greta.

#52 ·

I think the sentiment here is pretty noble, a bit of self policing or just the reminder is a healthy thing.

#59 ·
My understanding is Greta T started off totally alone sitting outside the Swedish parliament building with a placard? For the life of me, I can't see how this was stage managed.

I think the reason so many feel uncomfortable about her is she is a child with vision uncompromised by the baggage we carry and difficult to argue against.

l'homme is spot on, it's the opposition one needs to worry about. I watched some footage the other day of Trump at a "Trump 4 Coal" rally and I had to turn it off. This is at a time of more forest fires in California and a severe water crisis there, the breadbasket of America. We should be embracing Greta and doing everything in our power to remove these idiots from power.

G
#60 ·
Of course she started on her own, I've been following this girl from the start. She was a perfect example of what I was writing about, a child with a gut feeling that responded to the call within her and stood up. The fact she has Asperger may have even given her the spark that made her feel an emotion that came from within, not from her mind. It's a remarkable child and I'm not surprised it's a she. Over here the girls are standing up too. It's like the female instinct is getting connected again with mother earth, and the boys...well, boys will be boys, after all they are the ones making this world, aren't they? They will be the ones to be convinced.

#63 ·
We're on countdown to.....

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la
'Tis the season to be jolly
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la Don we now our gay apparel Fa-la-la, la-la-la, la-la-la.
Troll the ancient Yule-tide carol
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la.

See the blazing Yule before us.
Strike the harp and join the chorus.

Follow me in merry measure.
While I tell of Yule-tide treasure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.