What Is The Best Colour For Bailers?

D

Deleted member 81051

Never a milk bottle. They're too flimsy. Has to be a washing machine liquid bottle.

Not only are they bigger and much more substantial, you have more surface area to aim the piss in a wind. ;)

taffy1

A mate of mine had a peculiar preference for Tesco's own bleach bottles, they were a bright yellow & in front of the handle, you had cutting lines to make them usable.

Cap'n Fishy

Never a milk bottle. They're too flimsy.

Agreed. Any time you get in a boat that has a milk bottle for a bailer, it is inevitably lying squashed flat, with all cracks and holes in it.

3L fabric softener bottles are a favourite...

snapshotimagehandler_1313914894.jpeg

Again, leave the top on and cut the base off to make a nice wide aperture for both uses. It comes with a convenient handle and the shape is good for being able to get down into the narrow bilges of rowing boats.

We find all sorts of 5 L and 10 L and even 25 L buckets and drums ex of farm and other supplies pressed into service though. It takes a big piss to fill a 25 L drum. 🤪

The big ones are useful when you find yourself with a bit of extra bailing to do...

Uist-2017_7562.jpg

anzac

B*gger the colour. The REAL question is what should it be made from; metal, plastic, or wood?

Cap'n Fishy

I don't know what Tangles uses but real men (ghillies for example) simply flip the boat over to empty the water out. It's a another reason we aren't keen on tackle tart anglers who fill the boat with excess gear and invalid seats 😛

I'd enjoy watching you 'simply flip' a Loch Leven boat over to empty the water out. 😜 Or some of the Lomond boats...

Lomond02sep2017_9545.jpg

Also, not easy to flip a boat over while motoring up the loch and you are having to bail the water out that is coming in over the sides...

4955.jpg

As for invalid seats - I need mine because I am an invalid these days. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't be able to sit in a boat all day. Auld age doesny come itsel', ye ken! None of the ghillies or guides I have been out with have ever moaned about seats. Maybe they were just showing good customer care? ;) Besides, >90% of boat anglers use some kind of seat these days - the ones I see anyway...

Menteith23Mar19_8943.jpg

I even came across a South Uist ghillie who had made his own boat seats...

Uist-2017_8164.jpg

Get used to them, I say.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

... our Pioners are self bailing...

I mind you saying that before, Derek. So, how does that work? I can't remember there being anything in those ones we used to be forced to go out in having anything in them that would make them bail themselves??? :unsure:

Col

easker1

the club 15fters have a hollow floor and grooves the grooves lead to a None return system and it bails as you run , it's no fun If you drop some thing into one of the Grooves, or if some one decides to block the outlet, but it does work , easker1

Cap'n Fishy

the club 15fters have a hollow floor and grooves the grooves lead to a None return system and it bails as you run , it's no fun If you drop some thing into one of the Grooves, or if some one decides to block the outlet, but it does work , easker1

Ah, right. so, the rocking motion of the boat works the system? Sounds good. Don't think I have ever come across boats with that system. Is there anything visible above floor level, or is the whole thing hidden from view? What if a foot of rain falls during the night?

The Coulams have hand pump mechanisms installed, which work fine until the rubber bellows perish in the sun... then not so well. Also, never drop one of the wee plastic terminal covers from a leisure battery into the bilges, as it is a perfect fit for being sucked inside the hose and bunging the thing solid. 😜

Col

bobmiddlepoint

I'd enjoy watching you 'simply flip' a Loch Leven boat over to empty the water out. 😜 Or some of the Lomond boats...

As I say, real men ;)

Also, not easy to flip a boat over while motoring up the loch and you are having to bail the water out that is coming in over the sides...

4955.jpg

Poor boat handling!

As for invalid seats - I need mine because I am an invalid these days. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't be able to sit in a boat all day. Auld age doesny come itsel', ye ken! None of the ghillies or guides I have been out with have ever moaned about seats. Maybe they were just showing good customer care? ;) Besides, >90% of boat anglers use some kind of seat these days - the ones I see anyway...

Well I'll give you old age.
As for lightweight ghillies afraid to put their rods right... There is also the issue of ghillie care, a good one is worth looking after :cool:

I even came across a South Uist ghillie who had made his own boat seats...

Uist-2017_8164.jpg

Yes and his main reason he made them was to keep fat anglers on the centre line of the boat!

Andy