What Is The Best Colour For Bailers?

bobmiddlepoint

Ah, right. so, the rocking motion of the boat works the system? Sounds good. Don't think I have ever come across boats with that system. Is there anything visible above floor level, or is the whole thing hidden from view? What if a foot of rain falls during the night?

The Coulams have hand pump mechanisms installed, which work fine until the rubber bellows perish in the sun... then not so well. Also, never drop one of the wee plastic terminal covers from a leisure battery into the bilges, as it is a perfect fit for being sucked inside the hose and bunging the thing solid. 😜

Col
I think the Pioneer self bailing only works when you are moving forward? That was the impression I got in the two I've been out it. They are so stable there isn't any rocking motion even when standing up trying to cast thirty yards :ROFLMAO:

I hated the Coulam hand pump, the ruddy handle always seemed to be in the way waiting to catch my line.

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

As I say, real men ;)
Gonna need Geoff Capes to ghillie for you then... 😜

Poor boat handling!
Not been many days over the years when we've needed to bail the waves out the boat... but there has been the odd one... and it's not been due to bad boat handling. There have been days when it has rained so hard, the boat has needed bailed every 15 minutes to stop everything floating about in the bottom. Ask John (Colliedog) about the day on Loch Eye in 2012.

Seriously though, who on earth is going to go to all the faff of motoring ashore, pulling the whole thing out the water, taking all the stuff out of it (taking the motor off?)), tipping it over, tipping it back, putting all the stuff back in it (putting the motor back on?) and then relaunching it, when they can just spend 2 minutes bailing it in situ with the bailer? 🤪

Well I'll give you old age.
Given the only alternative to getting older, it is the better option. 😜

As for lightweight ghillies afraid to put their rods right... There is also the issue of ghillie care, a good one is worth looking after :cool:
Given the demographic of anglers these days, particularly the ones who can afford trips away and a ghillie, if I was setting myself up as a ghillie and advertising my services, I'd have a sign saying "Boat Seats Welcome". (And another saying "Selection of bailers provided.")

Yes and his main reason he made them was to keep fat anglers on the centre line of the boat!
Good idea - there's a winter project for you. (y) I sympathise with him. I spend enough time myself pulling my seat forwards to counterbalance my various boat partners who tend to have their seats set towards the back gunwale.

Some are worse than others, mind you...

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Seriously though, who on earth is going to go to all the faff of motoring ashore, pulling the whole thing out the water, taking all the stuff out of it (taking the motor off?)), tipping it over, tipping it back, putting all the stuff back in it (putting the motor back on?) and then relaunching it, then whey can just spend 2 minutes bailing it in situ with the bailer? 🤪
The sort of person who starts a thread about bailer colour!!!!

Good idea - there's a winter project for you. (y) I sympathise with him. I spend enough time myself pulling my seat forwards to counterbalance my various boat partners who tend to have their seats set towards the back gunwale.
My ghillying days are over for now, poachers are easier to deal with!

Andy

scobo

Remind me to tell the story of the French, female person, the word lady would not cover the situation. Let’s just say there was no need to go ashore or even clean the bailer.
She pished herself ?

easker1

The water in the pioner is at loch level and the boat wont sink because of the Double bottom, remind me to mention the Bonny Swedish Girl when I used to take out sea angling parties in my 26 ft creel boat, it was a bucket job but it didn't bother her down with the Keks and that was it , I think her husband was the most embarrassed, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

The water in the pioner is at loch level and the boat wont sink because of the Double bottom.
Aye, well, the Sweeney 'Lomond' boats have a double bottom... they have a hole in the hull that lets the water in to give them weight and ballast and stability and all that... But when it rains, they fill up with water. So, in a Pioner, where does the rain water go?

Col

codyarrow

Would imagine it is like a self draining deck on a sea going boat. Basically a hole slightly above the water line. No experience of pioneers really - which judging from comments about them is a good thing.

Cap'n Fishy

Would imagine it is like a self draining deck on a sea going boat. Basically a hole slightly above the water line. No experience of pioneers really - which judging from comments about them is a good thing.
I've had the ignominy of having been forced to fish in one enough times to know there are no visible holes in them. You would need dynamite to put a hole in one 🤪 - which is why they are popular with some kinds.

I'm still genuinely puzzled by this self-bailing facility and how it all works???

Col

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Got the idea it was a new thing? I can only speak for the sea going boats I have seen it on - basically the whole deck is above the water line by 2-3 inches, every drop of rain or sea water goes into the boat comes out.
Bit vague but found this - https://pionerboat.co.uk/easy-boating/self-draining-boat/
Wowee! Now I'm having a hard job getting my head round how something so dreadful can be so sophisticated! o_O

bluezulu49

Having had to bale more than 350 litres from a boat in Sheelin last year, in my view the best colours for a bailer are red, white, blue and grey as below courtesy of Aliexpress and Screwfix. Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 19.57.02.jpg

scobo

Having had to bale more than 350 litres from a boat in Sheelin last year, in my view the best colours for a bailer are red, white, blue and grey as below courtesy of Aliexpress and Screwfix. View attachment 31778
Got one of those myself.
Hook it up to the battery for the leccy motor and it empties the boat in no time.

colliedog

Wowee! Now I'm having a hard job getting my head round how something so dreadful can be so sophisticated! o_O
I remember coming across this on sailing dinghys 40 years ago. At a good tilt they could sook out a lot of water quickly. I have my doubts a Pioner 13 powered by a 44lb Minn Kota would quite let there (sometimes it never gets there).

Latest posts