Fly Fishing Forum banner

What Is The Best Colour For Bailers?

6K views 74 replies 19 participants last post by  Wee Jimmy 
#1 ·
Go on, you know you want to!

#5 ·
I remember when the supply of the Loch Leven boats' traditional metal scoops with a wooden handle were augmented with modern plastic ones in the same design... and they were purple! o_O Just wasn't right, so it wasn't. ?

#36 ·
... our Pioners are self bailing...
I mind you saying that before, Derek. So, how does that work? I can't remember there being anything in those ones we used to be forced to go out in having anything in them that would make them bail themselves??? :unsure:

Col

#38 ·
Ah, right. so, the rocking motion of the boat works the system? Sounds good. Don't think I have ever come across boats with that system. Is there anything visible above floor level, or is the whole thing hidden from view? What if a foot of rain falls during the night?

The Coulams have hand pump mechanisms installed, which work fine until the rubber bellows perish in the sun... then not so well. Also, never drop one of the wee plastic terminal covers from a leisure battery into the bilges, as it is a perfect fit for being sucked inside the hose and bunging the thing solid. ?

Col

#50 ·
The water in the pioner is at loch level and the boat wont sink because of the Double bottom, remind me to mention the Bonny Swedish Girl when I used to take out sea angling parties in my 26 ft creel boat, it was a bucket job but it didn't bother her down with the Keks and that was it , I think her husband was the most embarrassed, easker1

#51 ·
The water in the pioner is at loch level and the boat wont sink because of the Double bottom.
Aye, well, the Sweeney 'Lomond' boats have a double bottom... they have a hole in the hull that lets the water in to give them weight and ballast and stability and all that... But when it rains, they fill up with water. So, in a Pioner, where does the rain water go?

Col

#53 · (Edited)
I've had the ignominy of having been forced to fish in one enough times to know there are no visible holes in them. You would need dynamite to put a hole in one ? - which is why they are popular with some kinds.

I'm still genuinely puzzled by this self-bailing facility and how it all works???

Col

#55 ·
Got the idea it was a new thing? I can only speak for the sea going boats I have seen it on - basically the whole deck is above the water line by 2-3 inches, every drop of rain or sea water goes into the boat comes out.
Bit vague but found this - https://pionerboat.co.uk/easy-boating/self-draining-boat/
Wowee! Now I'm having a hard job getting my head round how something so dreadful can be so sophisticated! o_O

#63 ·
Never used a carrier bag. Have on various occasions used my sandwich box, outboard motor cover (that boat was full), a mug (only to bail mind) and a hat?

In the spirit of cross functionality I landed a 2 1/2 lbs trout in the bailer bucket for my mate on Loch Cherigal. Its colour escapes me ?

#73 ·
We were loading up the boat down at Acreknowe.I had dumped some gear on the grass and went back up to the car to pick up another load.When I got back down to the boat here is this woman letting her ankle biter pish on my piece box. That's my piece box says I......." How was I supposed to know".....she replied.I was lost for words.Anyway I'm still using it......?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.