What Is The Best Colour For Oars?

bobmiddlepoint

From a fishing viewpoint and also aesthetically.
I have 7 pairs of somewhat scabby looking oars to titivate before next season.
Should they just be varnished wood or painted and should they have red tips or does that frighten the fish?

I know some unskilled boat fishers never pick up an oar from one season to the next relying instead on outboards (both petrol and electric) but there are still some of us keeping the art of rowing alive.

It would be fair to say I'm at a bit of a loose end this morning!

Andy

pipetwister

As far as I know, oars were always varnished. I have never seen them with painted tips. Is it necessary to know where the tip is when using them?

wobbly face

Those I've used have all bean natural, left shabby and prone to snapping as rotted. Difficult to row when one oar only have a half blade. :eek:
Most tend to be just varnished, only ever used the odd set that had the blades painted white and on one occasion, the handle part painted white.

original cormorant

In competitive rowing oars are no longer made of wood - why hasn't this high tech approach spread to fishing boats?

bobmiddlepoint

I'm surprised at the number of replies from folk with no experience of painted oars. On S. Uist many of the oars were painted grey to match the boats. I like the idea of dark green with white tips, I've not seen any like that but they would match the green of our plastic Pioneer tubs!

Or I might go for painting fish tails on the blades, the shape doesn't really lend itself to a salmon tail but it's just right for a big sea trout.

Andy

Laxdale

I assume the oars are off the ferry boats on your river?
Paint them pink to match the pink corduroys of your gentlemen?
Or just a quick rub down and some fresh varnish if you do not want to risk causing offence.

Dingbat

Oddly enough there is a tin of pink paint in the workshop...

Cap'n Fishy

From a fishing viewpoint and also aesthetically.
I have 7 pairs of somewhat scabby looking oars to titivate before next season.
Should they just be varnished wood or painted and should they have red tips or does that frighten the fish?

I know some unskilled boat fishers never pick up an oar from one season to the next relying instead on outboards (both petrol and electric) but there are still some of us keeping the art of rowing alive.

It would be fair to say I'm at a bit of a loose end this morning!

Andy

Aye, well, ghillies use petrol outboards to get them up and down the water, too!

And. if you are fishing, and know the water as well as any ghillie does, and you have the choice between using your nice silent electric to ghillie you, or paying extra for someone who's going to tell you what leader material you should be fishing, and what flies you should have on, and where you should be casting.... and who is going to threaten you with violence if you stand up to play a fish clear of the motor... hmmm... not exactly selling me their services. I'll use my Minn Kota, thanks, very much! ;)

Anyhoo...

Our club water has 6 boats with 6 sets of oars that are varnished every year to keep them in pristine order. However, every pair has the tips painted a different colour to match the boat they are the pair for. The paired boat has the same colour paint on the bow and transom so it can be easily matched up by the arriving angler... red, blue, white, green, black and grey.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Well yes some people don't have the right temperament for being ghillied ;)

There is an old adage.. "The customer is always right."

He who pays the piper calls the tune... and all that... ;)

Or there is the Basil Fawlty school of customer care... 😗