What Is The Best Colour For Oars?

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
From a fishing viewpoint and also aesthetically.
I have 7 pairs of somewhat scabby looking oars to titivate before next season.
Should they just be varnished wood or painted and should they have red tips or does that frighten the fish?

I know some unskilled boat fishers never pick up an oar from one season to the next relying instead on outboards (both petrol and electric) but there are still some of us keeping the art of rowing alive.

It would be fair to say I'm at a bit of a loose end this morning!

Andy
Same colour as boats, with a bit of hammered copper on oar tips (leading edges) handles coloured to match boats, if you match them, that is!
Bert

D

Deleted member 81051

Aye, well, ghillies use petrol outboards to get them up and down the water, too!

And. if you are fishing, and know the water as well as any ghillie does, and you have the choice between using your nice silent electric to ghillie you, or paying extra for someone who's going to tell you what leader material you should be fishing, and what flies you should have on, and where you should be casting.... and who is going to threaten you with violence if you stand up to play a fish clear of the motor... hmmm... not exactly selling me their services. I'll use my Minn Kota, thanks, very much! ;)

D

Deleted member 81051

Aye, well, ghillies use petrol outboards to get them up and down the water, too!

And. if you are fishing, and know the water as well as any ghillie does, and you have the choice between using your nice silent electric to ghillie you, or paying extra for someone who's going to tell you what leader material you should be fishing, and what flies you should have on, and where you should be casting.... and who is going to threaten you with violence if you stand up to play a fish clear of the motor... hmmm... not exactly selling me their services. I'll use my Minn Kota, thanks, very much! ;)

Charles Jardine writes about guides in consecutive issues of the trade magazine, via the links below.
I think he's a decent enough chap, but these articles give an impression of him "filling up the space for a fee". Scattergun, badly written pish IMHO.

http://www.davidhallpublishing.com/digtialeditions/ttw/ttw202009/#page=59
http://www.davidhallpublishing.com/digtialeditions/ttw/ttw202010/#page=50

Cap'n Fishy

And there is only one captain on any ship.

Is that how you see yourself? A ship's captain, handing out orders to his crew? My mates and I just go fishing in a boat. We don't give orders to each other, so we don't even think about things like 'captaincy'. I appreciate it may be different for 'professionals' taking inexperienced punters out, but in that case you can keep all that sort of talk for your punters.

I have ben wondering.....how do you manage to carry the pile of equipment I see on your boat pictures with you to remote lochs?

I generally fish large lochs that we drive to, including Loch Lomond, Loch Hope, Loch Harray, Loch Shiel, Loch Arkaig, Loch Lochy, Loch Shin, Loch Awe, et al. Plus smaller lochs that are also accessed by car, such as Roag, Fada, Hosta and others on the Uists. We take our gear in the car with us. (y) However, if you are struggling to find a way to carry your gear to a remote loch, I can recommend one of these to you...

Langabhat_Jun14_6697.jpg

It was very useful for getting everything over to Langabhat and Trealabhal, on Lewis. (y)

In my younger days I simply walked into the hills with a rod and a shoulder bag.

Last edited:

Laxdale

Is that how you see yourself? A ship's captain, handing out orders to his crew? My mates and I just go fishing in a boat. We don't give orders to each other, so we don't even think about things like 'captaincy'. I appreciate it may be different for 'professionals' taking inexperienced punters out, but in that case you can keep all that sort of talk for your punters.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune... and all that... ;)"

response was

"And there is only one captain on any ship. "

The response is still valid. Experience does not come in to it.

Laxdale

However, if you are struggling to find a way to carry your gear to a remote loch, I can recommend one of these to you...

Langabhat_Jun14_6697.jpg

It was very useful for getting everything over to Langabhat and Trealabhal, on Lewis. (y)

In my younger days I simply walked into the hills with a rod and a shoulder bag

Been out there in that thing a few times. I think you will agree the mess they make is terrible, and will be visible for 10s of years. I still walk.

Cap'n Fishy

"He who pays the piper calls the tune... and all that... ;)"

response was

"And there is only one captain on any ship. "

The response is still valid. Experience does not come in to it.

So your paying punter is the captain of your ship?

easker1

the captain on Loch Maree was the Gillie, he was supposed to know the reefs and shoals (Oops there's another one) and understand the weather conditions, after 10 years at it it's why I quite enjoy bank fishing at our local lochs, at least I can walk away from the grockles,but back to the Oars, the last pair I made are done with wood seal with red blades , or whatever I have to hand, as long as they are sealed
easker1

Cap'n Fishy

the captain on Loch Maree was the Gillie, he was supposed to know the reefs and shoals (Oops there's another one) and understand the weather condition...

For sure, Derek, that's what I would expect. If I'm going out on a big water for the first time, I'm happy to take a ghillie and happy to let him take the boat where he wants - that's what he's there for. 😜.

It's a completely different situation to 2 mates boat fishing together on waters they know well.

At the same time, a good professional in the service industry knows the importance of a bit of 'customer care', if you catch my drift... ;)

Col

easker1

yes Col, some of my ex customers still keep in touch, ( some Don't) I have a few Gillie jokes that I keep for when the going gets tough, ( bit like chinese fortune cookies)there are some that I wouldn't get in to a boat with Again, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

yes Col, some of my ex customers still keep in touch, ( some Don't) I have a few Gillie jokes that I keep for when the going gets tough, ( bit like chinese fortune cookies)there are some that I wouldn't get in to a boat with Again, easker1

By the way, I would add that, over the years, I have been out with quite a few ghillies and have got on great with all of them. And never at any time has the term 'captain' even entered my head, let alone the need to ask who it is. ;)

Col

easker1

never ever classed my self as captain , its usually taken for granted that the Gillie is in charge, or who would be responsible for the safety of the boat and fishers? we were trusted by the proprietors to do the right thing, But I was skipper of my lobster boat for many years, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

never ever classed my self as captain , its usually taken for granted that the Gillie is in charge, or who would be responsible for the safety of the boat and fishers? we were trusted by the proprietors to do the right thing, But I was skipper of my lobster boat for many years, easker1

Aye, for sure, it is a balancing act. I heard from an acquaintance just recently that he and his boat partner were keen to go out on Loch Hope Middle Bay, and the ghillie they were going out with wasn't keen, due to the wind strength. They thought it looked fine. Diplomacy was required, and the 2 anglers, not knowing the water, bowed to the ghillie's knowledge and they didn't go out. I think another boat that did go out had to be rescued later that day.

Tact and diplomacy are useful skills... ;)

Col

Cap'n Fishy

... its usually taken for granted that the Gillie is in charge, or who would be responsible for the safety of the boat and fishers?

How about this one...

We were booked to go out on a large loch that neither of us were familiar with. We had a ghillie booked from the hotel, which shall remain nameless, but is more associated with the salmon fishing on the nearby river. In fairness, it was under new management, and the new management was looking to promote the trout fishing they had on some of the lochs. So, they provided us with a ghillie. He was a lovely chap, and I'm sure he knew every lie in every pool on the river. Only thing - he wasn't a trout fisher and he wasn't a boat fisher. That much became clear when it was apparent that he didn't actually know how to row a boat! We had to show him how to work oars (back on track, Andy! :)). Obviously, where we fished was purely down to our own intuition - shorelines, features, bays, and so on. But we had a good day and we all got on fine. And we didn't need to have a meeting to discuss who was captain. 😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Been out there in that thing a few times. I think you will agree the mess they make is terrible, and will be visible for 10s of years.

Hmmm... still a lot less mess than a forestry road cutting through the countryside... and there are 100s of those. :unsure:

Latest posts