What Is The Best Colour For Oars?

easker1

yes Col I have had words with the odd(?) guest who thought that as he had paid that he could go in all weathers, so I did it once, and the guest complained I had put him in danger, I told the manager it was the only way I could get it home to him that it would be unfishable when we did get out, My self I was in no danger and neither was the guest , but don't argue with the gillie? easker1

Dingbat

How come a discussion on the colour of an oar descends into a debate on maritime command?

Anyway, on a sea-going yacht the captain has the last word - you puddle paddlers need to get your chain-of-command straight

Cap'n Fishy

... you puddle paddlers need to get your chain-of-command straight

Says the self-confessed bank-fisher! :rolleyes:

Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough...

4955.jpg

bobmiddlepoint

How come a discussion on the colour of an oar descends into a debate on maritime command?

Anyway, on a sea-going yacht the captain has the last word - you puddle paddlers need to get your chain-of-command straight

Because it's the close season and we are on the FFF!

Chain of command... while firmly believing the ghillie should have the final say I must say I always tried to approach the whole thing on the basis that we were all equal. The ghillie/rod(s) relationship always works better as a team or partnership. Obviously not everyone is going to get on and some partnerships just aren't going to work ;)

A good day on the oars with rods who are competent and willing to try new stuff (or suggest stuff that is new to you) is as good if not better than fishing yourself. I still miss it but maybe not the some of the weeks on the outer isles when it blew 30mph every day!

I'm leaning towards green oars with white tips although I might do one pink pair.

Andy

Mr Notherone

Only one answer, paint your oars whatever colour makes you happy.

What on earth is “being gHillied” ? Not some unsavoury public school practice one hopes. This forum used to have standards. 🙄

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Only one answer, paint your oars whatever colour makes you happy.

What on earth is “being gillied” ? Not some unsavoury public school practice one hopes. This forum used to have standards. 🙄

Ghillied with an h ;)
What is a ghillie?
A ghillie is someone who knows his home waters well (but is always learning) and will work hard for any rod in his boat who is interested in the fishing and willing to listen (when needed). A ghillie, while not without sympathy and patience, will not stand too much BS and will tell you when your casting is rubbish (but try to help) or when you do something stupid.

Ghillies are not to be confused with guides. Guides are ar5e licking whores who tell you the customer what he wants to hear, often turn up on waters they don't know and try to impress with their knowledge (BS). They also charge more than ghillies. If you put a guide in a boat on the Western Isles in a windy week they wouldn't get past Monday morning.

Andy

Scotty Mitchell

For the life of me I can’t fathom why the colour of oars would matter. The boat is considerably larger than the oar. If you are worried about the oar spooking the fish then you need to start bank fishing or golf.

Last edited:

original cormorant

Ghillied with an h ;)
What is a ghillie?
A ghillie is someone who knows his home waters well (but is always learning) and will work hard for any rod in his boat who is interested in the fishing and willing to listen (when needed). A ghillie, while not without sympathy and patience, will not stand too much BS and will tell you when your casting is rubbish (but try to help) or when you do something stupid.

Ghillies are not to be confused with guides. Guides are ar5e licking whores who tell you the customer what he wants to hear, often turn up on waters they don't know and try to impress with their knowledge (BS). They also charge more than ghillies. If you put a guide in a boat on the Western Isles in a windy week they wouldn't get past Monday morning.

Andy
So what's a boatman?

Laxdale

From a fishing viewpoint and also aesthetically.
I have 7 pairs of somewhat scabby looking oars to titivate before next season.
Should they just be varnished wood or painted and should they have red tips or does that frighten the fish?

I know some unskilled boat fishers never pick up an oar from one season to the next relying instead on outboards (both petrol and electric) but there are still some of us keeping the art of rowing alive.

It would be fair to say I'm at a bit of a loose end this morning!

Andy

Are you a rowlock or pin man?

Cap'n Fishy

A ghillie is someone who knows his home waters well...

... and when he is ghillieing far away from his home waters? (Also see my post above re being sent out on a loch with a salmon ghillie!)

A ghillie, while not without sympathy and patience, will not stand too much BS and will tell you when your casting is rubbish (but try to help) or when you do something stupid.

The ones I have been out with never comment on my casting. Too polite by half. 😜

You missed the one about them telling you they are a guide in every ****ing post they put on the forum! 🤪

Seriously though, I know a guide who fits absolutely none of those criteria. He charges little more than what it would cost you to hire a boat and outboard. He will stay out with you till midnight if you want. He will not hesitate to tell you if you have the wrong stuff on or are holding the rod too high, or too low, or doing anything else wrong. He knows the waters he guides on like the back of his hand. Perhaps he needs to be rebranded as a ghillie? ;)

Col

Dingbat

Because it's the close season and we are on the FFF!

Chain of command... while firmly believing the ghillie should have the final say I must say I always tried to approach the whole thing on the basis that we were all equal. The ghillie/rod(s) relationship always works better as a team or partnership. Obviously not everyone is going to get on and some partnerships just aren't going to work ;)

A good day on the oars with rods who are competent and willing to try new stuff (or suggest stuff that is new to you) is as good if not better than fishing yourself. I still miss it but maybe not the some of the weeks on the outer isles when it blew 30mph every day!

I'm leaning towards green oars with white tips although I might do one pink pair.

Andy

True but at the end of the day somebody is responsible for the crew, especially if one falls overboard. I don't know what the legalities are but in my neck of the woods this is strictly regulated, even on inland waters. The kind of issue that easker reports shouldn't occur - that is there shouldn't be a discussion with the manager and the client shouldn't need "proving" .

as to 30mph winds - I'm not really all that keen on Switzerland, I'm not a mountains person and sometime I long to listen to the rain for a whole night or the wind howling around the house - its much too sedate here. Although at least there are defined seasons and the hush when snow falls is awesome.

bobmiddlepoint

... and when he is ghillieing far away from his home waters? (Also see my post above re being sent out on a loch with a salmon ghillie!)

A chancer!
When I started I knew bog all about the lochs but I at least never claim to, honesty is the best policy along with teamwork.
By the time I left Uist I knew about 25% of bog all!

You missed the one about them telling you they are a guide in every ****ing post they put on the forum! 🤪

Seriously though, I know a guide who fits absolutely none of those criteria. He charges little more than what it would cost you to hire a boat and outboard. He will stay out with you till midnight if you want. He will not hesitate to tell you if you have the wrong stuff on or are holding the rod too high, or too low, or doing anything else wrong. He knows the waters he guides on like the back of his hand. Perhaps he needs to be rebranded as a ghillie? ;)

Col

Definite rebrand required, this idea of guides is an 'orrible Americanism what we don't need here!

Andy

Laxdale

Rowlocks are b******s!
Pins every time.

Andy
(y):unsure:
Years ago when we were having another boat built to stick on Loch Langavat, the subject of pins or rowlocks came up at the committee meeting.
Much discussion ensued until an ex Lomond fisher piped up "Pins, oars for idiots". That ended the discussion. I do not like pins because it can make trimming the boat difficult as I cannot move sideways to compensate for awareness challenged anglers.