What is the correct way to dapp????

jamescasey

For some time now I have had a lot of rapping floss on my reel a full spool in fact with just some tippet at the end of about 5ft and dance it across the waves. However I have also been told that I don't need so much dapping floss to do this only a big of floss needed??? What do you guys use????

ant77

Buy this month's Trout and Salmon magazine. It boasts an excellent and detailed feature on the subject by one of our finer helmsmen. :D

Mrtrout

An excellent article in last months T&S, by our very own Cap'n fishy if I'm not mistaken. I don't buy it anymore, but a quick glance at the copy in my local library, made me wish I had, for once.
S.

davefish

Interesting post. I just had a thought...modern match fishermen are very good indeedy at catching fish. Ok some/many venues are stuffed with fish but many are not. They are a fairly adaptable bunch and take the whole thing very seriously. I was wondering what would happen if a top pole fisher took to a boat on Corrib...6' blow line?

I have fished the dapp a good few times on several big Irish loughs, out with a couple of Irish mates using a borrowed rod. Not sure if what they showed me was 'correct' so I'll not go into that. Only thing I rem is the longer the rod the easier it is. Hence the thoughts on what a pole fisher would make of it. Oh what a great way to fish, real fun. We made mayfly boxes and went collecting, the anticipation was mega.

Great days with real freinds followed of course by loads of Guinness and few stiff whiskey and red lemonades. Get up in the morning and do it all again. Happy days.

Did I say a few whiskey and reds? :rolleyes:.

P.S. Is that the correct way to dapp?

Last edited:

easker1

Right with the Floss but we used 8 to 10lb line for seatrout on Loch Maree, we also found some of the Floss was breaking at 10lb because of sun damage, a couple of Anglers used 5mm nylon ribbon as it wasn't prone to the damage
easker1

cax

For some time now I have had a lot of rapping floss on my reel a full spool in fact with just some tippet at the end of about 5ft and dance it across the waves. However I have also been told that I don't need so much dapping floss to do this only a big of floss needed??? What do you guys use????
All who dap will have their own set up, but you dont need a full spool of dapping floss on the reel. You only need about a rods length at most. I use 10lb braid as a main line as its very light, attach the floss to the braid. Then attach the co-polymer cast to the floss. The length of cast depends upon wind, but its typically 5-8 feet.
Too much floss would mean that you have to keep the rod low in a good wind to keep the fly down,in my experience keeping the rod low is to be avoided. Keep the floss length short, keep the rod high, let the floss length in and out in accordance with wind levels.

Last edited:

Gerryb

I tried out a 15' Drennan Acolyte Plus for a spot of dapping recently, lines were 20'lb braided backing,to 1.75 Mtr Floss , to 1.75Mtr 6lb mono loaded onto a cheap graphite fly reel , flies were big Scottish Dapping flies tied on low water Salmon hooks. An absolute joy to use , as the flies skipped across the water effortlessly and the combo is as light as you'd ever need. I'd happily use this outfit, with a beefed up leader and reel on any big Irish water. Erm , no fish were harmed in this "dry run" :rolleyes: .

easker1

Greys made Dapping rods for the Loch Maree Hotel. but the early rods there were Whole cane with a built cane top,a lot of the clients used the Shakespear Telescopics,, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

Greys made Dapping rods for the Loch Maree Hotel. but the early rods there were Whole cane with a built cane top,a lot of the clients used the Shakespear Telescopics,, easker1
Whatever you use for dapping, I implore you... please, please, don't, whatever you do, buy a Shakespeare telescopic dapping rod. It is 1 lb 2 oz of crude brutality. :eek:

williegunn

I have a Bruce and Walker 5-7 weight grilse 15 ft it's light enough and long enough, if a bit unwieldy when not in use.

Cap'n Fishy

I have a Bruce and Walker 5-7 weight grilse 15 ft it's light enough and long enough, if a bit unwieldy when not in use.
Still too heavy for my liking, Malcolm. I have a 15 ft trotting rod, designed for barbel. Weighs 7 oz. It's perfect. And yet I hardly ever use it, because in practice, we are spelling wets with the dap, and a 15 ft rod lying along the back of the boat gets in the way... so we use Ron Thomson telescopics...

The 15ft 9in one is 8 oz, and is easy to wield for long periods.

Col

easker1

weren't those Shakeys made for sea fishing?although we had various rods at the hotel the guests took what they liked them selves, even a Hardys favourite fibatube salmon rod,easker1