What is the one most important item you would not change about your tying area?

A. Fluker

One sees lots of fancy vices, one gets to see huge storage systems that would be the envy of Amazon and Tescos. One gets to see magnificent chests (wooden ones) that have been converted to tying stations that would be worthy of Antique road show programmes.

OK quality of tying materials is often of paramount importance and rightly so, so we will leave this aspect out of this light hearted questionnaire.

We sometimes get to glimpse fabulous photographic studios with lighting worthy of taking pictures of page three girls. We can get to see examples of wooden/cane fly boxes (one of my many weaknesses).

But what is the most important item about your fly tying station/area that you would not change - bar materials?

Just interested.

:)

bordertroot

My magnifying/daylight lamp.
A pal sent me one 3 years ago now I cant do without it,having said that my flies are magnificent:joking::joking::joking:
Bob

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
My Thompson Vice ,been a fixture for 40 years ,does all I need .
All the materials and tools are just transitory ,gone are the original Veniard bobin holders for pearsalls spools ,dozens of pairs of scissors ,masses of hackle pliers ,god have had some dogs there ,
Materials well have gone from scrubby Indian Capes ,where three feathers needed for one fly ,to genetics which one feather makes several ,metal tinsels to mylar ,synthetic blind alleys ,the constant of seal ,mole and hare fur .
The hooks from some horrible Mustads through to the glory days of partridge under Alan B ,via some fabulous stuff from Japan and the far east ,including some pre war allcocks ,via the UKs last hook maker Sprite ,with dalliances with VMC .
All the above are passing ,the vice I think will last me !

steve collyer

My Thompson Vice ,been a fixture for 40 years ,does all I need...
I can't resist a chuckle at those who say a Law vice (for instance) costing well over £300 will "last a lifetime". I should bloody-well think so. Mine costing a tenner will! ;)

black knight

Mine is my Contico set of eleven drawers in a tower frame.Its next to my tying station which is a desk. I've got most of my regular tying tools,bits, and materials in it. It's so convenient and tidy. Even the wife finds it hard to complain.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
I can't resist a chuckle at those who say a Law vice (for instance) costing well over £300 will "last a lifetime". I should bloody-well think so. Mine costing a tenner will! ;)
Steve .
I can see why some folks "need " such vices ,but for me My !980s £12 or so vice ,does the job ,sure its now on its second set of jaws ,covered by a real lifetime guarantee .
But for most folks why pay much much more !

MARAZION MIDGE

My coaster to put my mug of tea on. :thumbs:
Would of been my day light bulb! but been waiting so long now for a replacement from GAC that Iv forgoten what an aid it was.

bobby marlene

Highland Park and Stan´s "Trout and Salmon Flies of Scotland" (in this order, sorry, Stan)
Best, Bobby

Latest posts