What is the ultimate Lightweight Fly Rod

Former member 2

I think the wording is aimed at the market rather than a description if you know what i mean. I was only going to get one if it felt too fast for me, initial feeling is that it is quite mid flex, and recovers quite quickly, Hopefully will get chance to put some line out and cover some fish with it tomorrow.

Mean while for the guy asking about the TXL for his small river, this is about as big as the brook gets where I use mine.

SNB13332.jpg

and thats the rod with a 2/3 wt reel.

andrewparkeruk

That's a nice looking bit of water. Don't really know why I'm asking this, but do you wade or fish from the bank?
Andrew
PS and when are you going to invite me to join you:D

Former member 2

We mostly wade it for those of us the do dryfly. That section is about waist deep, which is about the average. With the bank side vegetation and 'set aside' it gets quite difficult to work the banks and land the fish. In the more open stretches you are too exposed on the banks.
A lot of our members do downstream wet and nymph with what is essentialy tackle from the reservoirs and long handled landing nets. So they are covering fish, and deep pockets that we dont tend to fish, and we dont intrude on each other.
There is the odd silly grumble about us treading on insect habitat, but they are treading on adult insect habitat!

Its a bit of a trek from Manchester I am afraid and in any case you have much,much better waters in Derbyshire on the way and over the pennines.
I would swap fishing on the upper Don above Sheffield for this any day.

Mostyn

Hi Pom,

Nice stretch of water, is it a chalk stream? Nice Artie picture of a ? is that the cheap rod or is it the Sage?

Anyhow, you mentioned the handle being a bit heavy on the £29.99 rod off eBay! I'm looking for a really lightweight rod possibly a #1, or maybe a #2, weight! But I may get one of the eBay IM6 rods? Let me know what you think of it, once you've used it!

Hey, if ever your down - across or in South Wales at any time? Get in touch! I'll get you some fishing on our mountain stream, or the River Usk.

There's lots of fine stream fishing in our area; and I also fish with the dry fly!

You'd be very welcome!

Mostyn

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Hi Pom,

Nice stretch of water, is it a chalk stream? Nice Artie picture of a ? is that the cheap rod or is it the Sage?

Mostyn

M ........ Can you see a £30 rod off e-bay having a full cork handle and sliding ring fittings ;):D:D

mind you it could be having a scabby old reel attatched to it :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Brand New 6ft 2wt 2 piece Trout fishing fly rod on eBay (end time 07-Jun-10 21:05:29 BST)

I bought 3 of them yesterday for various members.Which means there 7 left. Not had chance to try it yet. Handles a touch heavy, but it seems a good IM6 blank, i'll give it a road test tomorrow evening and let you know how it behaves.

WP looks like a fladen blank ,finish etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

in answer to the question of ultimate ...... the one that copes best in various conditions , breeze ,casting ease,one that is easily manouvered through bankside bushes etc etc etc etc:D:D:D

Bumps

My weapon of choice is the Sage TXL 7ft 3wt. I upline it with a 4wt line, which makes it load closer in and yet still casts a surprising distance if needed. The TXL is faster than some but still delicate and can do razor sharp loops for getting under overhangs etc.

IMHO there is no issue with presentation and I really couldn't see the point in going below a 3wt tbh. Each to their own though.

I put a Danielsson Original Nymph on it and it is as light as you'll ever need.

P4080748.jpg

Mostyn

M ........ Can you see a £30 rod off e-bay having a full cork handle and sliding ring fittings ;):D:D

mind you it could be having a scabby old reel attatched to it :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

WP looks like a fladen blank ,finish etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

in answer to the question of ultimate ...... the one that copes best in various conditions , breeze ,casting ease,one that is easily manouvered through bankside bushes etc etc etc etc:D:D:D

Hey, Bruce,

Ha ha ha, Some cheap rods have all cork handles, saves on the cost of a reel fitting!

Yes - the colour of the blank on the Ebay rod suggests a Fladen Vantage type blank.

guest21

My personal 'ultimate' - Winston LT, 6' 9", 3wt.

CoundClun280908008.jpg

I do have an Orvis Superfine, 6' 6", 2 wt but in all but benign conditions it's a bit of a 'noodle'. As a small stream 'fishing rod' I've yet to find anything to compare with the Winston.

Having said that ... I am tempted by the 7', 3wt Bannister cane rod that's built to the Garrison 201 taper .... maybe ........

ticklematackle

Nice thread. I couldn't say if my set up was the ultimate but it is certainly light, Hardy Classic Flyweight rod 6' #2 (41gms) and a Hardy Golden Flyweight reel (76gms). JB

waterloosunset

Does the danielsson have a click check system? If not, then what provides the drag force? (It's not a variable force is it?)

Bumps

That's pretty Bumps, looks brand spanking new!

Bought last year and due to other demands on my time sadly underused...

My personal 'ultimate' - Winston LT, 6' 9", 3wt.

CoundClun280908008.jpg

Lovely.

Does the danielsson have a click check system? If not, then what provides the drag force? (It's not a variable force is it?)

No drag at all. There are 3 wheels that act as the hub for the spool with a screw to force them out against the spool inner rim. Effectively all you can do is set it to prevent overspin but as Whingingpom says, you just don't need drag for this king of fishing. If you need drag, palm the spool as a big fish runs. For small ones it's frankly irrelevant. Danielsson make these reels in sizes for up to 11wt Spey lines and people catch big fish on them (I know of someone that has caught King Salmon and Steelhead on one and Eoin Fairgreave has one on one of his Loop salmon rods). The lack of drag just isn't a problem. Sweet reels and the lack of a drag makes them very light.

Cheers,

Ben

tigermoth

Hey Mostyn... the T&T was a 3wt:D

...but it is an absolute gem. I know that some love their TXLs but for me they are too quick and pokery. I like my rods to have a bit more feel. I have two Thomas and Thomas LPS rods both for a 3wt, one at 7ft, and the other at 6ft 6. If you're wondering why I got the second, it is because I saw the blanks on ebay for £60 and couldn't leave them there for that. It is worth thinking about the kind of action you like. If you like a Sage, then the SLT can be found in 7ft 6 or 6ft (hens teeth!).

The rods are just gorgeous, and on those rare occasions when everything is in perfect coordination you do feel almost is if you are painting the line onto the water. They also have plenty of power when needed, I have landed fish of 18" plus on these rods. For the reel? the drag free Waterworks ULA P1.

I do sometimes use a 7ft 6 cane rod, but to be honest, the T&Ts are just much better at the job.

Last edited:

Former member 2

My review of the 6' 2 wt Crazy River Rod on sale on ebay for £29.95

SNB13343.jpg

The rod is a relativity machine.
The first thing that’s relevant is your reviewer’s capability, my casting ability is slightly less than average, and on a good night a shade better than mediocre, tonight was almost mediocre.
(So what qualifies me to review this rod? Well Mostyn asked the question, and I’m a gobby sh!te!)

The build quality ...... its £29 for goodness sake what’s relevant for Less than £30?
The handles ok the reel seat is painted steel and too heavy it seems to balance just in front of the reel. The eyes are massive and strangely spaced BUT the line does fair rip through them when asked to.

The next thing that’s relevant is the rating, I tried this with an old Orvis 2 wt line and to be honest it’s just not a two weight rod in my hands.

SNB13346-1.jpg

With a Cortland 3 wt line however this rod will do the short casts of 15-25 ft with quite a degree of accuracy, especially pitching up stream into the food lane. However working across into the margins or aiming for the last few inches of water from the bank, My arm just kept chickening out and the fly would fall too far from the bank... there’s a reason for this ... a rationale if you like, but I will come back to that.
My first test I found that for close work I just wasn’t feeling the rod, for roll casting bizarrely its one of the most impressive roll casting rods I have tried, 5 or 6 rod lengths of line effortless rolled upstream turning over a leader and presenting a fly . 30-35’ roll cast’s on a 6’ rod for Mr Mediocre is pretty damn weird. So then I picked up the 35’ ft sent it back, hauled, kicked it forward hauled, back hauled, then forward and shot. 50 -60' ‘twanged out, turned over and and kicked back telling me had I had more slack to spare that line would have gone even further. And here’s the problem, and I have felt this with the (hardy) Marksman. This is a distance machine! Quite why you would want a 6’ 3wt distance machine is beyond me.
And that leads me back to the problem in the margins, after casting this rod for a while your muscle memory tells you that it wants to over shoot. So no matter how much you want to land inches from the stream edge... your muscles rebel at the last moment, and refuse to risk it leaving you short.

Fishing with it I tried it with a shoal of dace where split second reactions are needed, its response was perfect and it hooked four in quick succession. None of them however made it back to my hand as the stiff action couldn’t maintain pressure and the barbless hooks where easily thrown. Two Small browns however stayed on as the rod had something at last to make it work a little and flex.

Working up stream typical Pom style, moving along doing 25’ 30’casts at various targets and likely pockets, the rod performed great, and I soon found myself spotting a rise and landing the fly just a head of it without thinking. At the end of a drift with the fly just beside me, a roll cast, and one false cast and thirty foot of line was back on the water within inches of where I wanted it. Exactly what I expect from a rod. BUT it all feels wrong!.

And this is where relativity comes in. What’s relevant is where you’re coming from and what you want; If you’ve come from still waters and are used to super fast/stiff rods like TCRS etc, I would guess this will be a fun little 3 wt weight for occasional fishing trips on small waters, you may even love the action.
If you’re buying a rod specifically for starting in small streams on a budget you could grow to get use to the action and learn to love it.

However if you come from more flexible rods, like the TXL for instance or traditional cane and glass this rod will frustrate the hell out of you. It does what you ask, but that is despite the fact that it feels as sensitive as a pool cue, and it just wants to shoot off into the distance. You constantly feel like your reigning it in... what is the point of that?
I’d love to say I have found not only a bargain, but a really great small stream 6’ 2wt rod.
I haven’t I have found a 3 wt bargain.

And in answer to the original question... sadly not this one!

SNB13348.jpg

the money shot that every rod review needs

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Quite interesting P, is that a pfleuger you have strapped upon the beast ?
S.