What is the ultimate Lightweight Fly Rod

waterloosunset

Is it as smooth as a click mechanism? Or smoother?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

No drag at all. There are 3 wheels that act as the hub for the spool with a screw to force them out against the spool inner rim. Effectively all you can do is set it to prevent overspin but as Whingingpom says, you just don't need drag for this king of fishing. If you need drag, palm the spool as a big fish runs. For small ones it's frankly irrelevant. Danielsson make these reels in sizes for up to 11wt Spey lines and people catch big fish on them (I know of someone that has caught King Salmon and Steelhead on one and Eoin Fairgreave has one on one of his Loop salmon rods). The lack of drag just isn't a problem. Sweet reels and the lack of a drag makes them very light.

Cheers,

Ben

Bumps

Smoother. Smooth as the baby's proverbial. And completely silent. There is no click or any toothed gearing at all - it all runs on 3 smooth hard plastic rollers against a well machined and smooth spool. You just have to remember to wind the tension off the rollers when you put it away so they don't get flat spots.

Ben

Mostyn

Hi Dave,

I thought the T&T was a2#weight (My Mistake) but I do remember how light it felt in the hand; and just as you do! I also prefer a rod with some feeling!

I don't like a fast actioned rod, I love my cane rod, and I also have a greys GRXi 7ft, that has a really soft action! I'm looking for a 6ft, #1, or #2,weight rod! I seam to be fishing on streams more and more these days! So, was thinking of a small but not too expensive 6ft, rod - for those places where it's almost impossible to get a line on the water! my 6ft.3in, #3,weight cane rod does the job, but I've already damaged it once; and don't want to risk it again! Must say though, I did like that T&T that you have!

Mostyn

Mostyn

Thanks Pom,

That was a true and honest review of that "Crazy Rod" off eBay! It would be too stiff for me! I like a rod (as Tigermoth said) with a bit of feeling in it, (softer actioned) any suggestions on what type and make to look for? I'd love another cane rod; but cannot justify the expense, although I would consider a used one if the price was right!

I don't believe your a mediocre caster! And it's not like you to show that much humility! But a great review! Thanks.

Mostyn

H

Hexataff

Mostyn. Have you tried B&W Hexagraphs? There must surely be hundreds tucked away around the country looking for a good home and appreciative owner. I have one for almost every eventuality and believe they still reign supreme in terms of strength and sensitivity.

Former member 2

Mostyn. Have you tried B&W Hexagraphs? There must surely be hundreds tucked away around the country looking for a good home and appreciative owner. I have one for almost every eventuality and believe they still reign supreme in terms of strength and sensitivity.

Ultralight fly fishing for most warmwater, coldwater, plus some saltwater species -- with Bill Byrd

http://www.hexagraph.com/

I am not sure if thats the budget Mostyns after. Certainly look great little rods. I have never seen any of the B and W's for sale, do they come up often?

Last edited:
H

Hexataff

They do come up on ebay every once in a while but none there at the moment.

I have a couple of lightweights in my collection; an early dark green version 6'00" 3/4 and a later cane coloured and whipped deluxe model, again 6'00" 3/4. The former is softer than the latter but with both you feel every flick of the fin. Every bit the part on both chalk streams and rain fed brooks and rivers.

Pom, the hexagraph link you provide is clearly for the American manufacturer who came to the fore as B&W ceased production of their fly rod range. Ironically, as I recall, this was about the time that UK anglers went mad for Orvis and Sage products.

Last edited:

Mostyn

I had a Bruce & Walker rod in the Early 1970's - It was at that time the "Bees Knees" Even more popular than the Hardy Rod of the day! I certainly should have held on to it! But as Pom, said I'm after something about 6ft'#1, or #2, weight; and not costing a fortune! Would love a B&W though!

Mostyn

kype

Mostyn

Since you are asking and looking I thought I would post this link to such a rod selection. Recently Dave Gibson Great Bay Rod Co. customized an EMG Series 9ft 4 piece #5 to my needs and I just love it. I am not a big fan of 4 piece rods but this one is doing a fine job and perhaps Dave Gibson's 6' #2 Winding Brook Series rod will be what you are looking for.

Winding Brook Series

Bobby

Mostyn

Mostyn

Since you are asking and looking I thought I would post this link to such a rod selection. Recently Dave Gibson Great Bay Rod Co. customized an EMG Series 9ft 4 piece #5 to my needs and I just love it. I am not a big fan of 4 piece rods but this one is doing a fine job and perhaps Dave Gibson's 6' #2 Winding Brook Series rod will be what you are looking for.

Winding Brook Series

Bobby

Nice looking rod, but £200 + is a bit steep for me! But thanks for the link!

M

kype

Nice looking rod, but £200 + is a bit steep for me! But thanks for the link!

M

I totally understand what you are saying.
Often there is no path along the bank of small stream in Vermont. Fishing in alders or overgrown brush can be hard on a rod so I have elected to use fiberglass as others anglers I know have. I ordered a Cult Fiber 6'6" #4/#5 from a Vision dealer here in the US at $230.00 shipped and delivered which I intend to use on small streams in favor of graphite which sells for far more and tends to be simply too stiff and fragile for me.
Years ago I used a Philipson 6' #5 and it was a joy to fish. I find that I must be able to fish a sizable fly from time to time as our fishing isn't strictly small dry fly fishing. At times a #8 Muddler Minnow or some other frightening creation may be needed. The #4 line should work well for me.

Here is a link to the Vision Cult Fiber Rods. A Cult Fiber might work for you also.

VISION - IN FLY FISHING: Rods singles, Cult Fiber

I would love to own the Hardy 7' glass rod or another Great Bay Rod but like you I prefer not to spend a great deal of money on a small stream rod which will likely take a beating.

Tight Lines and good luck in your search!:guinness:

Bobby

Kurt

My review of the 6' 2 wt Crazy River Rod on sale on ebay for £29.95

My first test I found that for close work I just wasn’t feeling the rod, for roll casting bizarrely its one of the most impressive roll casting rods I have tried, 5 or 6 rod lengths of line effortless rolled upstream turning over a leader and presenting a fly . 30-35’ roll cast’s on a 6’ rod for Mr Mediocre is pretty damn weird. So then I picked up the 35’ ft sent it back, hauled, kicked it forward hauled, back hauled, then forward and shot. 50 -60' ‘twanged out, turned ovmuscles rebel at the last moment, and refuse to risk it leaving you short.

whingingpom,

Thanks for your review. I bought one of these rods a short time ago and I too was a bit dissapointed with its lack of feel when fishing up close.

I was beginning to think it was maybe my casting style ( or lack of :p:whistle: ) that was at fault but your post confirms what i also suspected , mainly in that its a bit of a poker! :D

Cheers

Kurt.

Former member 2

whingingpom,

Thanks for your review. I bought one of these rods a short time ago and I too was a bit dissapointed with its lack of feel when fishing up close.

I was beginning to think it was maybe my casting style ( or lack of :p:whistle: ) that was at fault but your post confirms what i also suspected , mainly in that its a bit of a poker! :D

Cheers

Kurt.

As a post script Kurt I took it out again tonight to give a fair crack at the old bargain bucket. After all it's a step down from a TXL and bound to feel strange with one session.
I put a Rod dibble furled leader on and got the turn over working right. And kept it working close.
But familiarity didnt improve the feel, and with fish rising, I just couldnt hit the spot like I would have hoped even for my limited ability, and over shot terribly.
I caught one fin perfect wild brown on dusk ( hence the awfull photo) it was a reasonable size fish, and gave a powerfull run around with some good surges. This was the final test for me though. the rod just wouldn't flex into the fish and as a consequence the fight was too long for my liking. Whatever the question was this rods not the answer.
Its not you Kurt, its just too stiff for this type of fishing

SNB13352.jpg

smudger564

Does anyone make a short line?

Some of you lads mention cutting a line in half? Does anyone out there make short lines say fifteen yards long. Say with the tip, front taper and rear taper in the first five yards. The rest of the line would be running line. I don't know, perhaps the Pirate might?

Just a thought

Regards

smudger564

Mostyn

Some of you lads mention cutting a line in half? Does anyone out there make short lines say fifteen yards long. Say with the tip, front taper and rear taper in the first five yards. The rest of the line would be running line. I don't know, perhaps the Pirate might?

Just a thought

Regards

smudger564

Smudger!

The idea of cutting a DT - line in half - is to obtain two fly lines!! Use the first half and keep the other half as a spare line for the future!

Former member 2

Mostyn
probably above the price range but I thought you would like to see this guys site. As well as making up rods on SLT and XP blanks, he does his own Carbon and Glass blanks..... some really nice looking little rods.

Sage SLT

AtomSix

Hi Smudger

If you're fishing on Thursday I'll bring down my little 6'6" 3wt I've just built. It was originally for a customer to try....but I'm keeping it!!

As with most of my stuff its on a DC blank. See what you think. I have my own opinion but I want to see what you think.

In the pipeline I have a 8' 6pc 3wt blank that has an extra section that can be inserted to make it a 9'4" 7pc 3/4wt. How does that sound to everyone?

Cheers

Steve

Mostyn

Mostyn
probably above the price range but I thought you would like to see this guys site. As well as making up rods on SLT and XP blanks, he does his own Carbon and Glass blanks..... some really nice looking little rods.

Sage SLT

Dave Lewis - small rod company! They look very nice!

Pom, I've decided to get a Hardy Flyweight 6ft,#2,weight!!