What is the ultimate Lightweight Fly Rod

stevel

Mostyn
probably above the price range but I thought you would like to see this guys site. As well as making up rods on SLT and XP blanks, he does his own Carbon and Glass blanks..... some really nice looking little rods.

Sage SLT

WP,

Actually I think he passed away quite recently? I'm not sure if the shop is still producing as I believe it was a 2 man team (husband/wife).

toady2

WP,

Actually I think he passed away quite recently? I'm not sure if the shop is still producing as I believe it was a 2 man team (husband/wife).

Yes, Dave Lewis passed away recently - I understand of a sudden illness.

Former member 2

OOPS! thats sad. Looks like it was a good team she certainly made good rod looking rod bags, and I liked the finnish and fittings on his rods.

Mostyn

Lightweight!

I've bought myself a Hardy Flyweight 6ft,#2,weight Fly Rod, also a nice little : A J Forbes 2.5, Magnesium Fly Reel (it's very light) with this is a : SA, Mastery GPX #2,weight Fly Line.

This outfit is extremely light; and the little rod performs beautifully, it flexes like a Bamboo Rod (which suits me fine) and the little reel is well made, a pleasure to use; and I must say, I'm extremely impressed with the DT#2, GPX Mastery fly line!

I really do love the outfit. Anyone thinking of getting themselves a small stream outfit? would be very pleased with this combination of : Rod , Reel & Line.

M

Former member 2

A friend of mine bought the hardy Flyweight 6' 2wt too. I got to try out casting it today, With his brand new pheonix Silk line on it. What a great set up it is capable of so much.
A rod that feels like cane and with a slight adjust ment can go from easy gentle casting, to incredibly tight little loops and compact casts. Very accurate too. I loved it. Then I found out that the pheonix line cost £60 and was level..... what the heck do we need tapers for ?

Mostyn

A friend of mine bought the hardy Flyweight 6' 2wt too. I got to try out casting it today, With his brand new pheonix Silk line on it. What a great set up it is capable of so much.
A rod that feels like cane and with a slight adjust ment can go from easy gentle casting, to incredibly tight little loops and compact casts. Very accurate too. I loved it. Then I found out that the pheonix line cost £60 and was level..... what the heck do we need tapers for ?

Pom,

I have a Kingfisher Level Silk Line; and it casts beautifully, but without that taper! It can sometimes drop a little heavy on to the water, although it's possible to counteract this by stopping the line and pointing the rod tip.

my Zhu line is tapered DT, #3, May get a #2, silk line for next year?

M

Mrtrout

Lightweight!

I've bought myself a Hardy Flyweight 6ft,#2,weight Fly Rod, also a nice little : A J Forbes 2.5, Magnesium Fly Reel (it's very light) with this is a : SA, Mastery GPX #2,weight Fly Line.

This outfit is extremely light; and the little rod performs beautifully, it flexes like a Bamboo Rod (which suits me fine) and the little reel is well made, a pleasure to use; and I must say, I'm extremely impressed with the DT#2, GPX Mastery fly line!

I really do love the outfit. Anyone thinking of getting themselves a small stream outfit? would be very pleased with this combination of : Rod , Reel & Line.

M

Sounds a nice setup Mostyn, any photos ?
S.

emptybag

Hi , over the years every thing from a woolworth cane rod as a 10yr old ( now 70) , generic tackle shop rods to an orvis but my favourite which I broke, can't get repaired and can't find a replacement and no longer made is a Wychwood river & stream 8ft 4# I found this perfect for weight and balance used every were , I really miss this rod like the lose of an old friend.

It's called fishing not catching for a reason

kype

Here in Vermont we have many small streams with mostly poor hatches. Much of my fishing is blind casting. Often there isn't a path along the stream and vegetation growth can be difficult. I often need to use small bucktails so lines below #3 are a poor choice as is graphite rods given that they breaks when battered against the thick growth and boulders. I use glass and last season tried an inexpensive Echo 6'9" #3 glass rod with a Hardy Featherweight reel. I really enjoyed that rod when fishing brook trout. It is only 2.6 +/- oz and at that length is was very pleasant to fish.

Latest posts