What made you start flyfishing?

thetrouttickler

Reading the Geoff Bucknall eulogy thread, several forum members appear to have been influenced to start flyfishing by him. It made me think about what and who influenced me to start flyfishing. The year was either 1995 or 1996. Three things immediately sprang to mind:

1. A River Runs Through It (the film with Brad Pitt, although it caused me to later read the book). My parents would have rented the video from the local video shop.

2. My uncle, who came to visit us for a holiday that year. He took me fishing and was the most instrumental influence.

3. In terms of fishing personalities, Tom Sutcliffe, a South African guru. His book 'My Way with a Trout' in particular.

What were the main influences behind you starting flyfishing?

Last edited:

BobP

1) My father had taken it up due to Tom Ivens' book.

2) My favourite fishery, a small lake full of carp to which I had almost exclusive access only 5 minutes on my bike from home was killed off in the winter of 1962/63. No more golden summer evenings hovering over my rod while a carp sidled up to my floating breadcrust and minutely examined it from about 2" away before sucking it down with scarcely a ripple.

Scotty Mitchell

My old man. Growing up with him being involved in several clubs in the 80's. He was never off Leven.
He started me off on the Fife Eden, swinging wets. I never looked back.
I am extremely lucky to fish with the people I do, and they influence me a great deal also, but goes without saying Dad wins hands down.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

wobbly face

Went on holiday to Scotland and where I stayed had it's own very wee trout loch. Bought 2 rods with reels, line and some gawd dammed awful flies. Spent the week tangled in vegetation, but I was hooked.
My wife (then girlfriend) bought me a book on fly fishing. Not a classic book but a starter with basic fundamentals on casting and such. I bought some more gawd dammed awful flies but this time I had some knowledge about them.
It did take me a year or two before I caught my first trout (only went when on holiday).

JohnH

Natural progression, I guess. At the time I took it up in the early '70s, stillwater trouting was very well covered in the weekly and monthly angling press. Dick Walker, Bob Church, Brian Harris, Geoff Bucknall, Tom Ivens as well as other lesser lights. "This looks cool..." I thought, as a young coarse fisher. Also there was the coarse fishing close season to fill, which was prime time for trout on lakes and reservoirs. After a tough start, try teaching yourself the game on reservoirs, I really got into it and in a few years it became my main fishing interest.

Jason 70

I've been fishing since the age of ten, so forty years now. I began on the canal around Hackney. When I was thirty I moved south of the Thames and got the Barbel bug in a big way and a mate and I fished all over, my favourite venue was The Wasing Estate on the Kennet. About ten years ago I just got bored with it. I've more or less lure fished for the last ten years, and still enjoy it. But the marketing hype that surrounds it leaves me cold. Every week is a new advert for the latest must-have lure, it has though had its plus points as lot's of youngsters seem to be out doing it.

Last Autumn I thought I'll try fly fishing for Pike and then at Christmas got a 4# and caught Pike and silverfish in between the rivers being in flood. Since May when we were allowed back out I've been fishing for Trout, but now the coarse season has opened my local venue for Trout is very busy with lads Barbel fishing, so I've been fishing for Chub and Dace on my more rural coarse angling club tickets where I seldom see another angler, but no Trout. I'll spread my wings a bit next season in regards the Trout fishing with true game fishing venues. But for now, I'm just enjoying myself. I have Barbel fished once in the last ten years, but got bored after two hours fishing static I packed up and came home. I have to be doing something while I'm fishing these days and not sitting on my 'arris.

jaybeegee

I fished the Wharfe at Pool as a boy with porcy quill float and maggot or worm bait, but I was a reader and the angling greats of Wharfedale were fly fishermen and sparked my imagination. On holiday in the Lakes in the coarse close season I bought a very basic set up of glass rod ( complete with plastic handle ), an Intrepid reel and a Leeda line with which I actually caught a small brown trout on a day ticket tarn on the roadside near Coniston. That was that for a few years until study and work took me to Ireland, where a float rod was looked on as peculiarly English and friends including ( especially ) my future brother in law put me on a road to discovery that I still tread. Many years later, I’m still fishing the rivers of my boyhood, now usually carrying a fly rod... lucky man indeed.
B

Gdog

Hailing from the lake county, I have to admit that the first place I ever fly fished was Barn Elms in west London 🤫 on May bank holiday Monday 1989. I was brought along by a friend who suggested that I try this sport, he advised when I go back home there were several good trout lakes near my home. Well he was right and I'm still fly fishing for trout 31 years later.

anzac

My father and grandfather took me course fishing and taught me the basics from the time I was 6 or so until my teens. They were both 'subsistence fishermen' and we ate what we caught. After joining the army, I didn't have the time or opportunity to fish until a posting put me in the midst a prime fishing locality. I was an NCO which meant a wee bit more money at the end of the month and more free time. Tackle was also reasonably inexpensive, so I got back into spin casting fishing some trout waters. That led to me wanting to try 'real' fishing -- fly fishing. The rest, as they say, is history.

Brendan110_0

Grandfather gave up fishing (got too old for it - shame as he loved fishing the Goyt) and gave me all his gear - all split cane stuff. Gave it a go and loved it, mainly because I've never been a sit down three rod out carp angler (preferred Pike/Perch fishing lures). Might give the Goyt a fish, never caught a Grayling so quite fancy that.

Paul_B

I was brought up to fish and father started to like fly fishing more than match fishing before I was born, I think getting a fly rod as a present after wining the All England had a lot to do with it, I followed the tradition :)

smallmouth

I think the seed was sown when I was a child, we used to head to the North Yorkshire streams from our polluted West Yorkshire town, to trot for trout and grayling. Sometimes I saw people fly fishing and it looked interesting, though I was taught that fly fishing was for snobs.

But I was always an avid reader and found books in the town library by BB, (there’s even a trout fishing sequence in “Little Grey Men”), and other authors, that gave me an insight into what it was about.

I ended up as a coarse angler, primarily match fishing, but gradually losing interest as the Trent began to decline. Then in my late twenties whilst buying cigarettes in the newsagents, I flicked through a Trout Fisherman magazine, chanced on an article by Bob Carnhill about reservoir nymph fishing and bought it on a whim.

GEK79

Reading the Geoff Bucknall eulogy thread, several forum members appear to have been influenced to start flyfishing by him. It made me think about what and who influenced me to start flyfishing. The year was either 1995 or 1996. Three things immediately sprang to mind:

1. A River Runs Through It (the film with Brad Pitt, although it caused me to later read the book). My parents would have rented the video from the local video shop.

2. My uncle, who came to visit us for a holiday that year. He took me fishing and was the most instrumental influence.

3. In terms of fishing personalities, Tom Sutcliffe, a South African guru. His book 'My Way with a Trout' in particular.

What were the main influences behind you starting flyfishing?
Gave me and my father some common ground.. Having had a distant relationship with him as a youngster.. It was a base to develop a great friendship relationship and common ground..

dave b

I took it up as a diversion to match fishing in the 90's when they cancelled a Wednesday night series. My best mate and I bought a fly rod and line and every Wednesday night we went fly fishing and occasionally on a weekend.

Oldbones

Used to fish at a river mouth where all the locals would fish, watched them and learned. Old guy who was the local barber would make his own lures and had three single hooks whiped together to make trebles. I was amazed by what this old guy could do with his home made gear. He was a dauntless old fellow, he caught fish.
Thing is he did fish properly, the others did fish but not by the rules.
Anyway he impressed me, he always said if its not caught by the mouth its wrong.
Since then I always remember that. And I always remember him, he was a class above.

JayP

Sea angler from a very early age with my mum and sisters in the Channel Islands plus a bit of boat fishing out of Portsmouth/ Chichester, a bit of coarse fishing early teens until I was 16, from 17 until I was 25 my life revolved around surfing, snowboarding, world travel, girls and beer. Moved to London and started spinning for pike on the Thames until I picked up a fly rod 20 years ago and haven't touched conventional gear since...