What made you start flyfishing?

Oldbones

I took it up as a diversion to match fishing in the 90's when they cancelled a Wednesday night series. My best mate and I bought a fly rod and line and every Wednesday night we went fly fishing and occasionally on a weekend.
That is what I do now, wed night and early doors on a Saturday and sometimes Sunday.

JayP

Sea angler from a very early age with my mum and sisters in the Channel Islands plus a bit of boat fishing out of Portsmouth/ Chichester, a bit of coarse fishing early teens until I was 16, from 17 until I was 25 my life revolved around surfing, snowboarding, world travel, girls and beer. Moved to London and started spinning for pike on the Thames until I picked up a fly rod 20 years ago and haven't touched conventional gear since...
*Edit* had my first casting lesson last week 😂

shropshire_lad

Very interesting to try and think back on this question.

I was a coarse angler as a kid, just in the blood, no influence from family or friends. Then my parents bought a holiday home in North Wales. The rivers there were like nothing I had experienced living in the Midlands - crystal clear with fish rising. I first fished for those fish with float and maggot but then started dangling a fly on the surface with coarse gear and caught (what I now know were) parr.

At some point I became interested in proper fly fishing and the look of the gear always appealed to me. So, I got a rod for a birthday, an Abu reservoir rod from memory, and an Intrepid rimfly. However, I never used it as I could not access the waters. Only when I got a car was I able to really get started, fishing some wonderful (and challenging) Welsh mountain lakes.

I feel like I'm starting again now in many ways after a 20 year gap where I have done very little fishing, in fact I sold all my gear. I'm 61 and want to pack as much in over the next 10 years (hopefully more) as possible to make up for lost time (y)

DutyDruid

A recent stay in hospital and the realisation that I wouldn't be able to cart all that gear around for ever, tried trotting for barbel a few years ago and that wasn't too bad but was working long long hours on two jobs, 8-4 day job , home for food, shower, hair cut and then back out at seven toll four the next morning . Jump into bed and up again to go through it all again the following day. No wekkends to us, bank holidays, Xmas Eve, Nye and Nyd....working. NYE was generally a 7pm start and a 7 am finish with 15mins off in the middle. So when I took ill, and not knowing what it was then it sort of said to me slow down. Started watching videos and joining different groups, asking questions and more videos, commenting and recieving answers from some quite prominent people with the sport on podcasts or video blogs. Started to look for and I know it's wrong but cheap kit. Once our of the hospital I managed to go and have a look at a cheap set up, mint condition it said. Hhmmm reel looked mint but carbon rod had a split. So went back to drawing board and found another, this had been used but for 35 nicker got me off the mark. Then Lee 71 put up a few freebies so jumped on them ( eternally greatful for the bits ) and more so the bit of info regarding local rivers. Cheers Lee .
So got some of the gear , bit of the knowledge and still waiting to hit the water when all treatments done.
In all honesty I can't wait. In the mean time shall continue to get the little bits, zingers, mulcin powder, vest, waders etc, so when I do get out will be able to chuck some fluff and go home a blanked but satisfied.. so there you go.
I do follow all the post and forum with a soft of renewed vigour and interest knowing what's coming in future months, light at the end of the tunnel. Big thanks to all for letting me comment sometimes in a way to try and raise a smile, but mainly to gain a more in-depth look at and knowledge about it all

Last edited:

shropshire_lad

Then Lee 71 put up a few freebies so jumped on them ( eternally greatful for the bits ) and more so the bit of info regarding local rivers. Cheers Lee .
Likewise, I mentioned on here that I was planning a local trip and some fellas here tied me up some beautiful flies - eternally grateful, such kindness. Problem is, pressure is on to catch something now o_O

yespsb

From the age of 12 I'd had a good go at every form of course fishing and by 30 I had become disillusioned with the huge amount of kit/bait required and the secrecy that came with big fish angling.

In my head trout fishing was simple and pure, a single light rod, a reel, a small over the shoulder bag with a small selection of flies wander the rivers picking off willing trout ~~~~~~~~ if only :rolleyes:.

Steve Parton was early influence and today I fly fish for salmon, sea trout, brownies, graying, rainbows on the big ressies, with occasional bursts of pike, carp & chub plus UK and the odd overseas salt water trip. I also tie flies for all the above.

I honestly have over 30 rods, circa 15 reels, over 80 lines/shooting heads, numerous waist coats, jackets, waders, boots and if that was not enough I have over £2.5k of tying kit & 1000 plus flies.

Today its a million miles from pure and simple and its all down to my insatiable curious nature and the perpetual puzzle fly fishing offers.

Rob Edmunds

I was brought up to enjoy every style of angling, sea fishing, course fishing fly fishing......

But I always enjoyed flyfishing the most.....probably because you are always doing something......and it was somehow more exciting, and challenging than using maggots, bread, etc.....

Being nearly 50 i started off course fishing about 45 years ago, it was only until i recently moved to rutland that my wife bought me a fly fishing day. I thought mmmmm, not sure, but as soon as instructor 'Peter Hartley' started to teach the group, i was hooked:sneaky:. Now im a convert, i could be swinging the right arm all day and i love it. Only regret is that i didnt start 45 years ago!!

speytime

I fished the burns for trout and the quarry for perch also occasional visit to the local reservoirs (by night) when I was a lad, I liked it but wasn't obsessed with it and gave it up mid teens.
Ffwrd 25 years my dad was going to the Clyde and asked if I wanted to go, i went purely for the novelty I never thought for a second it would lead to getting hooked.
He set my rod up showed me the basics and I caught 3/4 sprat sized fish and a couple of good trout 1.4lb and one nearer 2lb that fought hard between the two I was hooked, that was later in the season I remember willing the next season to start so I could get back to it.

Al

I remember catching brook trout as a lad up at Rannoch, the fish were a reasonable size 1/1.5lb iirc but I can't remember any fight, I'm assuming I just wound them in 🤣

anzac

I honestly have over 30 rods, circa 15 reels, over 80 lines/shooting heads, numerous waist coats, jackets, waders, boots and if that was not enough I have over £2.5k of tying kit & 1000 plus flies.
Egad! And here I thought I had an excessive abundance of kit owning two 5 Wts., two 6 Wts., and a 7 Wt. with a reel for each.

That said, I've considered adding a 4 Wt. and reel.

heathenwoods

In 1978, when I was 8 we drove up to somewhere in Scotland for a holiday. Probably one of the Hebrides. Once, on the way, we stopped off at Oykel Bridge (just checked a map, it can't have been. Maybe the Orkneys, then). My Dad paid for me to have an afternoon on a loch (I couldn't tell you which one) with a ghillie; we went to a shop beforehand and I 'helped' to tie my flies for the afternoon. I think he was maybe buying him and my mum an afternoon's peace and quiet. I caught a trout (3/4lb as I recall) and it was cooked for my meal that night. It was the only time anything like that happened so it stuck in my mind. But it also felt like an introduction to a magical world that was unlike anything I'd ever encountered - or did again for many years.

When my eldest got to about 10, I thought I'd take him. He was really not very bothered. But it stuck with me; I was looking for an outdoor hobby as I'd got fed up with my local mountain bikes trails getting busier and busier. I've never looked back. Started on still waters and really struggled but was determined (perseverance is everything!). Switched to rivers and had a little more success, switched to flicking out nymphs and realised it didn't have to be complicated and away I went. Seven years on and I'm now happiest casting a dry fly to that difficult fish whilst the light fades but, to be fair, get a thrill from a take wherever and however I'm fishing.

My middle child, youngest son, now enjoys it too. And that's maybe the best feeling :cool:

I'm hopefully taking the kids to Scotland at the end of August. I had dreams of loch fishing with my lad. But I've since found out that Arran, where we're going, isn't the best place to fish. Never mind. I'm sure we'll have a laugh regardless:)

delray

Doing everything else badly, I thought there must be something I'm good at.......there isn't.

Almost got put off fly fishing by the elderly curmudgeon who ran a fishing shop in Edmonton, North London. Can't recall his name, but then he showed me how to cast; lovely to watch and a very knowledgeable man. For the first few years, went back time and again until sadly it closed, and, I believe, he passed away.

JohnH

...the elderly curmudgeon who ran a fishing shop in Edmonton, North London. Can't recall his name, but then he showed me how to cast; lovely to watch and a very knowledgeable man. For the first few years, went back time and again until sadly it closed, and, I believe, he passed away.
Don Neish ? His own-brand Grafham Ghost and Grafham Nymph rods built on hollow glass blanks were well regarded back in the day.

lhomme

The river that ran trough my garden. After a life of learning all other fishing techniques I looked at it and fell in love. Picked up a flyrod and learned to master the last technique I was interested in. I quit fishing eventually but still consider myself a very lucky man thanks to the water and all life it produces.

PaulD

As an early teenager I fished a local farm pond for carp, tench and rudd and also the local stream with a worm (and cheese!) for trout. One day, at the pond, another regular fisher brought a fly rod along and he let me have a go with it . . . amazing. He was the bailiff at the new reservoir at Stithians and by the time I was 16 I had bought my own fly rod, reel and line and I was good to go. 15/- for a day ticket, £7 10s for a half-season ticket . . . my father was astounded that anyone would consider paying £7 10s just to go fishing! Mind you, as a birthday treat for my 17th birthday he did drive me the 170 miles each way from home to Chew for a day's fishing . . . I forgot to take my wellies and fished from the bank in a pair of suede shoes . . . caught a 3lb rainbow, a PB! The next week I caught a 3.5lb fish from Stithians . . . Dad was underwhelmed!

hutch6

A small puddle was being stocked In the spring and the lads who worked with my dad told him as he wanted to take his kids fishing.
me and sis got little course rods for Christmas.
The day after the stocking we went fishing. Us with our little tub of worms and a row of lads Indiana Jonsing lines about the place and hurling in fish after fish. We caught about two all day.
I wanted to have a go and never forgot.
Got my first paper round about 5yrs later and over the year saved up enough for a fly rod, reel and line.
I went down to the same puddle and caught nowt expect the urge to get some better flies as if got the wrong ones. Then followed a week of me following our cat around with a pair of scissors and then trying to attach the clumps of hair to a hook with bits of sticky tape.
Then I got in a big knot one night and chucked the towel in.
Some ten years later I had a job and bought another rod, joined a forum to read up on stuff and went for casting lessons. Never looked back.
I’ve had days when I’ve caught all the fish, no fish, that fish just there but the best days are those when you get someone who’s never done it before to catch their first fish on a fly as I know how long I waited for that day.

dyounger

Started sea fishing with my dad in the 70's on holidays, had a Woolworths spinning rod, still in the garage! Then when I was 12 parents bought a house with a tributary of the Usk at end of garden. Sounds grand just typical mountain stream off the hills, but stuffed with trout. Used to watch them jumping the falls in the autumn. Started off with worms then got a flyrod when I was 14. Read every magazine and book I could get. Lived for it fished the Usk in Abergavenny for next few years then Llandegfedd reservoir. I've been fishing ever since, tying flies since I was 15. Now live in Devon have Dartmoor for trout and bass on the beach ten minutes walk away. Still love the freedom of fly-fishing, have beachcasters, carp rods and bivvies, love all types of fishing but trout and fly-fishing is still the type of fishing I simply have to do.