What Makes a Good Burnishing Tool and Your Favourite.

Lewis Chessman

When I started this nonsense last year I bought a basic plastic burnishing tool from HiLevel for a few pennies and it's served me well enough to date.
I do sometimes wonder if the flatter edges are as crisp as they once were and whether it is shedding small particles onto the thread as it gets older and wears, if in minute quantities (I had a contaminate issue on my last rod).

Also, I'd like something with a little more art to it, perhaps bone? A tool one could grow fond of having in the hand as well as confident in its function.

So, do you have something you really enjoy and appreciate and, if so, where can I get one like it! :D

Lewis Chessman

I like the idea, anzac. The moor-grazed Lewis lamb is pretty special, almost gamey, and it would be cool to make the burnisher local and 'organic'.
Thanks.

ohanzee

Pottery burnishers and sculpting tools are cheap and come in a zillion shapes, easy made too with a sander but when I went looking for a pic I found the lower picture and thought it would hit the aesthetic requirement rather better,

img63086222.jpg

Buffalo horn sculpting tool made by Chinese Clay Art $12.....nice...

BuffaloHorn.jpg

Lewis Chessman

Thanks, everyone, that's given me food for thought. I have a single, many-tined red deer antler I found in a Harris loch when muckin' about with the fishery trust guys. I've got sections earmarked for a wading stick or two, maybe I can fashion my burnisher from a length of it as well?

Latest posts