What makes us happy..

whitehorses

Interesting thread, have only just happened on it.

I wonder how many of you guys agree with me that one probably only works out what makes us happy in later life. I'm in my early sixties and looking back I wish I had the insight I feel I have now when I was younger.

I'm pretty sure affluence, money, material possessions, etc, don't necessarily make us happy, in fact often quite the opposite. I'm not particularly well off by many standards down here in the SE but I feel I have way too much stuff and on the whole it has not made me happy, in fact it's quite a burden. I feel guilty about the impact on the planet so don't throw stuff away so we are drowning in clutter.

For me it's friends, family, companionship that make me happy. Nature makes me happy. Love makes me happy. Positive human interaction makes me happy. Positive news makes me happy. Looking back on the good things that have happened to me makes me happy. Looking forward to what is to come, maybe even fishing makes me happy ;)
well said

NAHMINT

So many little things in life I now appreciate.
a trout on a first cast, gas down to $1.55 / litre (Canadian)
a good supply of paper in the loo.
finding a cold beer in the very back of the fridge,
wife calling to say she will be staying over at our daughters for an extra day......... Waking up in the morning without too much back pain.... lots to be thankful for.

4wings

Interesting thread, I have only just happened on it.

I wonder how many of you guys agree with me that one probably only works out what makes us happy in later life. I'm in my early sixties and looking back I wish I had the insight I feel I have now when I was younger.

I'm pretty sure affluence, money, material possessions, etc, don't necessarily make us happy, in fact often quite the opposite. I'm not particularly well off by many standards down here in the SE but I feel I have way too much stuff and on the whole it has not made me happy, in fact it's quite a burden. I feel guilty about the impact on the planet so don't throw stuff away and consequently we are drowning in clutter.

For me it's friends, family, companionship that make me happy. Nature makes me happy. Love makes me happy. Positive human interaction makes me happy. Positive news makes me happy. Looking back on the good things that have happened to me makes me happy. Looking forward to what is to come, maybe even fishing, makes me happy ;)
The Lioness took me by the ear (as she frequently does if there is anything to stand on ;)) and showed me a list of stuff I need to get rid of so my boys will not have to hire skips to clear the loft and cupboards. I agreed and have now hidden most of it!

Vintage Badger

The Lioness took me by the ear (as she frequently does if there is anything to stand on ;)) and showed me a list of stuff I need to get rid of so my boys will not have to hire skips to clear the loft and cupboards. I agreed and have now hidden most of it!
That's one of the disadvantages with wives and girlfriends.... by placing unreasonable limits on the number of toys we are allowed, they just end up teaching us to be as devious as they can be when it comes to buying things! ;)

Dingbat

one mans meat is another mans poison .
And just when the county thought it couldn't get any worse:

Still - my 10 year-old Limerick GAA shopping bag ripped today. Must be an omen of some sort.

Latest posts