What makes us happy..

anzac

What makes me happy is a long list. I'll start with surviving two complications from my cancer treatments that had me within hours of dying. Being apparently in remission and having my follow up exams changed from every three months to six months (a very good sign!) at Christmas. Finally being well enough that going being able to go fishing is a reality.

Then there's this forum and you lot -- rat-bags and fanatics alike -- whose comments, tales, rants, tirades, and humour have carried me through three years of loss (my wife and leg) and the last two years of months and months of lying in hospital and numerous surgeries. It and you have provided an escape and relief when I needed it.

Last edited:

micka

Great thread Gary and I'm so glad you're doing so well. As a Sunderland supporter happiness from that direction is a very rare commodity indeed!

But I will be on a family holiday soon to Wensleydale where all the family including my little grandson will be in the cottage. I'll also take my son in law, who is very much a novice angler, trout fishing so that's very nice to look forward to and gives me a glowing feeling inside. I'm on the Spey for 4 days next week however, river levels are very high - but so what it's a damn site better than lockdown and I'm with some great fishing friends. And on that subject, my wonderful fishing mates and my old teaching colleagues are greatly valued and the source of much mutual mirth and tongue in cheek mickey taking. And finally, the kindness and camaraderie of other members on this forum, sharing as we do a wonderful pastime which takes us to beautiful places and, of course, allows to share tactics to occasionally get the better of our piscine adversaries be they salmon, sea trout, trout, grayling or whatever!

Mick

Last edited:

ohanzee

What makes me happy is a long list. I'll start with surviving two complications from my cover treatments that had me within hours of dying. Being apparently in remission and having my follow up exams changed from every three months to six months (a very good sign!) at Christmas. Finally being well enough that going being able to go fishing is a reality.

Then there's this forum and you lot -- rat-bags and fanatics alike -- whose comments, tales, rants, tirades, and humour have carried me through three years of loss (my wife and leg) and the last two years of months and months of lying in hospital and numerous surgeries. It and you have provided an escape and relief when I needed it.

Not happiness exactly but I am consciously grateful that I have not suffered those, I have suffered enough to admire those that have suffered worse if that makes sense.

streams

Seeing my grandkids again,one granddaughter of not seen in ten months seeing her was brilliant,and also my youngest grandson,because of lockdown and me being in that vulnerable category,I didn't see him much so he was very strange around me but he's coming on leaps and bounds and is content to sit beside me and be around me,just need to get out fishing and that would be the icing on the cake

mackiia1

I was in hospital 2 weeks ago for an MRI Cardiac Stress Perfusion Test . I was injected with a drug called Adenosine , which has some nasty side effects - quite horrific actually and it was an experience I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.
Anyway - letter arrived during the week saying that basically , my Heart is in perfect working order.
Very happy with that news.🙂

GEK79

We have a what really annoys you thread let's try a happy thread what makes us happy.
Today I've had an appointment at hospital and have been told that all my bloods are fine and the double transplant is working as expected that has made me very very happy.. Also a possibility of a cast it 2 later.. 👍👍
Gary
Must also add that my beloved Coventry City didn't get relegated made me very happy.
And this.found the hidden lake.. 😜

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_153523_edit_1084089116445517.jpg
    IMG_20210513_153523_edit_1084089116445517.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

GEK79

I was in hospital 2 weeks ago for an MRI Cardiac Stress Perfusion Test . I was injected with a drug called Adenosine , which has some nasty side effects - quite horrific actually and it was an experience I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.
Anyway - letter arrived during the week saying that basically , my Heart is in perfect working order.
Very happy with that news.🙂
Great to hear lad.. 👍👍

ohanzee

I don't particularly like Bear Grylls but I have been watching his series called 'Breaking point', and it's changed my view of him, for those that have not seen it it's worth looking for, he takes two people with a fobia or life long fear and helps them tackle it head on, sort of full on exposure therapy, you can see the point where they let go of their fears, it's powerful stuff, they come back happier.

GEK79

Seeing my grandkids again,one granddaughter of not seen in ten months seeing her was brilliant,and also my youngest grandson,because of lockdown and me being in that vulnerable category,I didn't see him much so he was very strange around me but he's coming on leaps and bounds and is content to sit beside me and be around me,just need to get out fishing and that would be the icing on the cake
It will all come together lad. 👍👍

GEK79

Wi
I don't particularly like Bear Grylls but I have been watching his series called 'Breaking point', and it's changed my view of him, for those that have not seen it it's worth looking for, he takes two people with a fobia or life long fear and helps them tackle it head on, sort of full on exposure therapy, you can see the point where they let go of their fears, it's powerful stuff, they come back happier.
Oo have a look for it. 👍👍

Jason 70

Family and fishing. In the summer being on the river early and then home and tune into TMS and a bottle of plonk listening to Aggers and Co, can't beat that.

Then fishing in the Autumn my favourite time of the year that run into Christmas, fishing for Pike and Perch and watching the lads shoot and dogs work on the opposite bank, those misty Autumn days. Then get home and put a few horse bets on and watch the National Hunt racing. Nothing earth-shattering, simple pleasures. As my dear old Nan used to say "Simple pleasures are always the sweetest".

GEK79

Family and fishing. In the summer being on the river early and then home and tune into TMS and a bottle of plonk listening to Aggers and Co, can't beat that.

Then fishing in the Autumn my favourite time of the year that run into Christmas, fishing for Pike and Perch and watching the lads shoot and dogs work on the opposite bank, those misty Autumn days. Then get home and put a few horse bets on and watch the National Hunt racing. Nothing earth-shattering, simple pleasures. As my dear old Nan used to say "Simple pleasures are always the sweetest".
Your nan was right. I've just had a mug of tea that had been stewing in my flask whikst fishing all day. Best tea In the world..
😜👍

jaybeegee

There’s more to him than comes across on a lot of his tv stuff. His autobiography is worth a read.
B

Latest posts