What Rod do you most regret selling...

Gdog

I didnt sell it, but I stood on the tip of an Orvis Trident TL 9'0" #5 tip flex, breaking a favourite rod is worse than selling it.

Mrtrout

What configuration is your new LL Steven? Be interested to know what you think when you give it a try!

I do miss my circa, think it was the 389, would like to try the LL in that size though.
9ft #4 Sean I’ve had a wiggle it’s beautiful afraid of getting it dirty. :LOL:
S.

jaybeegee

No need my friend it went to a good home, and I like the challenge of tracking down another. :ROFLMAO:
S.
I need to ease my conscience S, so I propose that I’ll use it for twenty years and then you get it back in return for your LL for another twenty years and so on until we’ve worn them out. 😁
B

Mrtrout

I need to ease my conscience S, so I propose that I’ll use it for twenty years and then you get it back in return for your LL for another twenty years and so on until we’ve worn them out. 😁
B
I’ll be 91 in twenty years B, but if I’m still here I’ll hold you to that, but in your case I wouldn’t hold your breath. :sneaky:
I recently got my mitts on an absolute like new SLT in 5904, she’s a beauty, but I will one day find another 4864 it’s the chase that I like.
id also like a ZXL in 4864 and 4804,, superb rods.
S.

jaybeegee

I’ll be 91 in twenty years B, but if I’m still here I’ll hold you to that, but in your case I wouldn’t hold your breath. :sneaky:
I recently got my mitts on an absolute like new SLT in 5904, she’s a beauty, but I will one day find another 4864 it’s the chase that I like.
id also like a ZXL in 4864 and 4804,, superb rods.
S.
So that means you will be 111 when I get it back the first time, whereas I shall be a mere stripling of 107….the rod may have to be refurbished before we’re done with it.
B

Whinging pom

I regret handing back the Winston 6’ 2wt IM6 that I was lent to try out . I have had numerous similar rods since for the length and weight , but nothings come close to my memory of that rods feel and response. I’ve tried finding one second hand but only once seen one on flea bay and got out bid at the last second.
My present Helios is probably just as good, but my memory of that winston is of an ideal companion.
What makes it worse is the owner of the rod has it in storage with dozens of other rods that he’ll probably never use.

Also regret taking the telephone call that distracted me when I’d left my TFO lefty Krey 6’ 2wt on the top of my car and then drove off. Losing the rod was bad enough but it had an Ari Hart ath reel on it … now that was a sickner!!

Vintage Badger

I've never sold a rod I really liked, the only ones I've ever sold were 'starter' type cheap Shakespeare ones that went on to (hopefully) inspire other fly fishers. I also sold a Shakespeare Oracle 15' 4 piece salmon rod that, despite it's 'award winning' reputation, I was glad to move on as I didn't find it particularly enjoyable to cast with. This was replaced with a similarly 'budget priced' 15' Airflo Delta Classic, which I much prefer.

Whinging pom

I popped back to find some old fly patterns and thought I’d see what’s what’s!! Nice to see lots of old faces not looking any older😁…. And some strange omissions who seem to be missing. (From memory most were rabid climate change refug-nix! )
Also looking for an old thread on Amadou … can’t find 🥺
Sorry OP for hijacking your thread .. blame obhanze !!

Uncas

I regret selling a Scott G series 8'4''x 4pc 4wt and a Bruce & Walker river trout 9'x3-6wt 2pc.
That B&W was bought new from Alex Martin who taught me to fly cast.

bbamboo

Don't really regret selling any ,let's face it if your selling there is something you don't like. Best was probably a Greys greyflex 9ft 5wt but TBH I fish lighter lines these days on the river . Things move on, time for the rose tinted glasses.

beetlebum

A David Norwich 9' 5-7 two piece. I foolishly got rid because of the fact it was two piece but it was a lovely rod that I wished I had kept.

aldot

Regret selling a sage RPL 6100. It was immaculate and has left a gap in my collection. Doubt I'll ever get one as good again. I don't think it had ever been used before I bought it.

Overmiwadrers

It's a funny old world.
After years of fishing Winstons, my goto rod for sea trout and stillwater fishing is now a Sage SLT 9' 6" #6. Bought it second-hand last year.
I had a 9' #5 Sage XP many years ago, which was very good.
Part of the fun is trying different rods.
My favourite Sea trout rod is a 9ft 6 inch 7wt SP lovely rods...

O M W

pati

I regret selling a Scott G series 8'4''x 4pc 4wt and a Bruce & Walker river trout 9'x3-6wt 2pc.
That B&W was bought new from Alex Martin who taught me to fly cast

I tell you what: find an original Scott G PowerPly in 8’8’´ 4wt 3pc, I promess it will make you forget the 8’ 4wt 4pc :-D

I regret selling a NTi 905 and a NTi 907, did so just for the sake of trying something new, big mistakes!

I regret selling a 8’6´´ 3wt Winston WT, beautiful little gem but then it didn’t see much use as my original Scott G PowerPly in 8’6’´ 3wt just about edged it and I mostly fish bamboo in 3-4wt class…

I regret selling a Sage SP 906, a bit of a heavy feel to it made me part with it and it couldn’t compete with my beloved 906 NTIs, but I have good memory of the SP, ideal rod for streamer fishing in smallish stillwater.

I regret selling multiple GLX classic (905, 906,1007…). Fantastic rod, the only rod that came close to NTi but too much of a hassle being in 2pc…

Loop Yellow 8’8’´ 4wt: ugly, weird, unconventional, unstable yet once you break into how that rod works, it is phenomenal and can literally do everything with 0 effort… If anyone has one for sale… Again sold it as I mostly use bamboo in 4wt class, but I wish I had kept it so I could use it from time to time as this must be one of the funniest rod to fish.

Hardy Angel 2 Smuggler: a true gem but felt too fragile for a travel rod.

Snowbee Prestige 9’ 6wt 6pc: sold it to buy the 5wt version, which I realised too late was no longer available…

I m stopping now as I m starting to get really angry at myself!!!!

Last edited:

The Endrick Spider

I shudder to think how many rods I have bought and sold over the years , many Winstons, Sages and Scotts , Hardy , Greys and others ... very many , way to many . but the rod I regret selling the most is quite a lowly thing really its a sage VPS 7ft 6" 4wt 4 piece. It was a nice rod but not outstanding but still regret selling it ,, So what about you lot?

O M W
I have never sold any rod, once they have served their purpose I give most of them away and then move on. The ones I have kept are those that have given me the most pleasure at the time but would never consider ever using them again. Kept my Ivens Original 10 foot 2 piece which if my memory serves me correctly it took a Kingfisher No 3 line, My Hardy's Richard Walker 9ft, my Peter Mackenzie-Philps 10 foot 6in loch rod that I used for 25 years for sea trout and salmon, a rod that has handled thousands of fish up to 15lbs. I often take it out of its bag and think back to many of the memories we have had together. For the first 5 years of sea trout fishing I used a Richard Walker Mk 4 Avon Carp rod as a fly rod. This is a 10 foot 2 piece built cane rod that I eventually gave away where it was then used as a worming rod for salmon. I had it back here last year where this and my Ivens rod were both given a couple of coats of fresh varnish. No regrets about any of the rods given away, they all served their purpose. The only regrets I have had, they are all about some of the rods I bought.

eddleston123

Sold an 11' greenheart rod when I was a boy. Sold it for £1.00, which went towards my first split cane rod which was £5 - 10/ 6d

It had a beautifully carved handle.

Douglas

Latest posts