what tactic would you use

doobrysnatcher

i went up to the river tonight for an hour not to fish but but mainly for fresh air ,anyhow there was 2 anglers in the water, fly fishing, on one of the slower stretches, so i sat and watched for a while ,hoping to learn its a warm overcast evening with little to no breeze and the river was low and barely moving , the dam musnt be generating much at the moment ,the pools were shallow and almost stagnent and the runs were barely moving ,fish were rising everywhere and fly life was abundant ,yet both anglers were struggling and caught nothing not even a bite ,one angler was using nymphs across and down and the other had wet flies on , there was a swarm of medium browny clear winged flies presumed medium olive spinners fluttering up and down on the bank side along with tiny green midges and very large spinners also ,over my head,
there was all sorts of flies and masses of fish rising but for the anglers there was nothing ,they both were covering fish
in different ways
so for me i thought slow water, fish rising , fall of spinners,match colour, size and add floatant ,

what would you do?how does one determin the correct approach ,?

BobP

Watch to see if the fish are taking the flies that are hatching and then take the appropriate action, ie, emerger, dun or spinner and target individual fish unless it appears that in the slow water the fish are not holding station but are hunting more actively. Then it would be a case of fish the area of activity.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
For me it would depend on the rise form. fish sipping I would go for spinner patterns or a suspender buzzer / shuttlecock buzzer, a bit more vigorous rise and I would be trying caddis pupa / drys, somewhere in between my standard dun type dries (F fly, Greenwell's Tupps etc.

Steve

Shangerlad

As a beginner it wouldn't have occurred to me to fish a wet when fish are rising, yesterday was my second day fly fishing for trout,i was at elinor and they started rising some leaping,I hadn't had any interest in my brown hopper. It appeared the me they were trying to eat the blue damsels. i had a hopper with a little bit of blue in it, so tried it anyway, in the next 5 minutes 3 times a trout had a go the 3rd time it tooked one about 2lb but lost it in the reeds. It would be interesting to try a nymph if i new which one to try, but if they are taking off the top,the temptation to use a dry would be to much!

suzzy buzzer

Targeting fish in slow water on dries is tricky business, they have you at a distinct disadvantage. Your offerings will be closely scrutinised and probably rejected, and that’s assuming your wading and disturbance hasn’t put them down anyway.

For low rivers in the heat of the day, from now until August/early sept, I would for the most forget the rising fish and dries, and target the noisier more oxygenated water with the nymphs. If time is on your side, save the slower dry fly sections for the evening - fish get much more confident away from the glare of daytime. It doesn’t event need to be late, this time of year moving to slower water at 7pm can be very productive. Fish something sedge like, and a duo setup with CDC/elk up top, with an unweighted pupa imitation 18” behind can be dynamite for the evening stint.

JayP

I'd fish two flies in the same way as a Stillwater, fly wise, dry dropper and an emerger on point

mrnotherone

It's easy to assume in slow moving river water that drag is not an issue but I think it's the biggest cause of failure. I'd lengthen the leader, get slack in it and get the right angle of attack.

speytime

It would be interesting to try a nymph if i new which one to try, but if they are taking off the top, the temptation to use a dry would be to much!
Welcome to the forum, if you want you can fish a dry and wet/nymph at the same time.

Attach the required length of nylon to the bend of your dry fly then tie on a grhe/ptn buzzer to it.
Your dry then acts as an indicator.

Al

Shangerlad

Welcome to the forum, if you want you can fish a dry and wet/nymph at the same time.

Attach the required length of nylon to the bend of your dry fly then tie on a grhe/ptn buzzer to it.
Your dry then acts as an indicator.

Al
Thank you,i have both nymphs mentioned, Jerryrum suggested klink and dink, both methods are new to me,your way might be less prone to tangle for a beginner. think i will try both,hopefully next week.

speytime

Thank you,i have both nymphs mentioned, Jerryrum suggested klink and dink, both methods are new to me,your way might be less prone to tangle for a beginner. think i will try both,hopefully next week.
Both methods are worth knowing, if you want your 2nd fly just sub surface then a dropper is a better option, if you want to present your 2nd fly at 2/3ft+ then the new Zealand dropper is best.

geordie41

Melbourne Australia or Newcastle upon Tyne .
I’d be using a dry targeting rising fish, if that didn’t work (99% sure it would)
id be trying stiff hackled wets that are designed to be fished in or just under the service film of the water .
Did you notice if the guys fishing were changing flies? I know I would be until I found what the fish wanted .

Oldbones

Get behind the fish, and use the angle of the sun if I could, cast a nice dry fly to the overhanging branches, there may be a trout under them. Or if no joy with that, tie on a very very small PTN and pull it through the swim.

dave b

You have to work out what the fish are taking and then present the appropriate pattern, however I've also been in the situation with fading light trying to work it out and only just twigged in time to get one or two fish, when I should have had a lot more.

A great deal boils down to experience and being in touch with the river. As stated slow water can be tricky, and you can go through a number of permutations before finding the right set up, fly and approach

boisker

on a flat, slow stretch if I couldn’t see what fish were taking I would start with a small griffiths, size 20 with as long as tippet as sensible for the leader / river... ideally 5’ of tippet 0.1- 0.12 diameter (or approx6X) added to a 9’ leader.
i generally find long leader, long tippet, small fly results in less drag... which in my experience is the killer on flats.... if they came and looked but refused, I would extend the tippet a bit more.

obviously if you can see they are taking a particular fly I would start with an approx of that...

doobrysnatcher

I’d be using a dry targeting rising fish, if that didn’t work (99% sure it would)
id be trying stiff hackled wets that are designed to be fished in or just under the service film of the water .
Did you notice if the guys fishing were changing flies? I know I would be until I found what the fish wanted .
sorry for the late reply and yes the guy with the nymphs came to shore ,took off the top dropper on his 2 nymph set up and put on a palmered fly i didnt recognise it but to me it looked a standard lough style fly which he didnt treat the fly or line with sinkant /floatant,i asked what line was he using and he said it was 3x approx 5kg ,i immediately thought this was to heavy and i suggested 3-4 lb line ( see ye are rubbing off on me )im not saying i knew better, but i suspected this guy wasnt after brownies ,and left him to his own devices the other guy fishing the wets i didnt notice him changing flies while i was there

doobrysnatcher

For me it would depend on the rise form. fish sipping I would go for spinner patterns or a suspender buzzer / shuttlecock buzzer, a bit more vigorous rise and I would be trying caddis pupa / drys, somewhere in between my standard dun type dries (F fly, Greenwell's Tupps etc.

Steve
for me mostly i could only hear the splashy rise and by the time i looked and found it all that was left was an expanding circle of water