What type, size and weight of rod do I need.

black knight

I've been let down with delivery from Cardiff. Apparently the rod will be delivered on Monday 30th. Sadly, I have not had the fun of testing this weekend. I hope to post a report Tuesday.:thumbs:

ohanzee

I've been let down with delivery from Cardiff. Apparently the rod will be delivered on Monday 30th. Sadly, I have not had the fun of testing this weekend. I hope to post a report Tuesday.:thumbs:
Not a fast rod then:eek:mg:

Jeltz

What about phoning Snowbee and asking what rod it was tested with? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't tested / designed for use with one of Snowbee's own rods.

Steve
This line was probably tested by a world champion fly caster, which means any line tested by a world champion is by default a distance casting line.

black knight

Well my new rod arrived at 10am and at lunchtime I was putting it through its paces. It is a light but stiffish rod and it handles an 8# shooting head line with no problem. However, the best distance cast on dry land was only 68 feet. I was disappointed that the distance wasn't longer and I was looking more for 80 feet. I will keep trying incorporating a double haul to try and reach my target. The line got covered in mud from my fishery and I washed it with soap and water. I must slick it again and maybe that will give me a few extra feet?

ohanzee

Well my new rod arrived at 10am and at lunchtime I was putting it through its paces. It is a light but stiffish rod and it handles an 8# shooting head line with no problem. However, the best distance cast on dry land was only 68 feet. I was disappointed that the distance wasn't longer and I was looking more for 80 feet. I will keep trying incorporating a double haul to try and reach my target. The line got covered in mud from my fishery and I washed it with soap and water. I must slick it again and maybe that will give me a few extra feet?
68' on grass is a bit strange, you can calculate the distance a line will go by the head you lift, ie..11' leader + 9' rod is already 20', if you lift the head of say 40' and put it back down you are already at 60', that will shoot 10' easily so you should have 70' in one cast from pretty much any rod in one lift and lay, I'd apply that to a 5 weight so an 8 weight should be at least that, I'd want to be doing that before hauling.

black knight

I had another go at casting the distance line on the recommended rod. Sadly after watching videos and listening to advice I only achieved 70 foot. A 444 line and 10 foot normal rod achieved 62 feet. I did manage to pick up 65 foot of line but only added 5 feet to the length. There was a breeze that kept changing direction not helping. I'm going to get professional help before I give up and sell the line and rod.:eek:mg:

ohanzee

I'm going to get professional help before I give up and sell the line and rod.:eek:mg:
Its not a bad idea to get someone else to cast it, then you can see how far it can go with the effort they use, if they immediately struggle with the line you will know pretty quick.

fredaevans

Hi Easker
I guess to the casual observer I may have put the cart before the horse. I liked the advertising blurb and took the plunge. I genuinely thought it would work on one of my rods. With Parkinson's Disease the distance I cast is being reduced. I thought the Snowbee line might help compensate. If I can find a rod that will work well in conjunction with the distance line I would gladly pay what it may cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Beryl, I'm no expert on rods there is far more expertise on this Forum than I have learned in 60 years of fishing.
So true about the Parkinson's. Don't know where/how you fish but this is where 2hander's shine. DON'T force a cast, let the rod do the work.

fae

Latest posts