What will you plan to get done during lockdown

JayP

The Graduates are splendid machines. Used one at Boarding school , also my Dad god bless him had one in his joiners shop he used to let me play on it , I had to stand on an orange box to manage best. Elf and Safety didnt seem to much of an issue then . Then I had a coronet number 1 about thirty years ago didnt much like the twin bed bars or the bloody noisy roller bearings though. That went during a house move I bought the Minor from some bloke for £20 it was pretty beat up and have had to spend some cash with Derek Pyatt to get it going , This is its second rebuild by me , Still short of a saw guard though for the table saw . They are great toys

O M W
Out of interest what wood are you planning to use for the reel seat?

smallmouth

What have you got planned ?
In addition to my full time work.

Severely pruning the dwarf apple tree in our garden, however the only thing dwarf about it is the apples, so I'll have to climb up into the crown with a hand saw and secateurs. It's been three years since I pruned it, so I'll have a lot of thin branches and twigs to process afterward.

A new fence, only a matter of measuring up, ordering the panels, then sliding them into the concrete channels.

General gardening, shed repairing, re painting the iron gate, clearing the gutters, hosing down the porch roof.

Watching football.

As my daughter slipped on the ice over New Year and did her back in, in the short term walking her Miniature Pinscher when I can. He's an entertaining dog to walk, doing his best to get me some crow feathers and squirrel tails, though I've just bought a pair of crow wings from Troutcatchers anyway.

With crow wings in mind, tying flies and reorganising the far too many flies I've already tied, against a background of whatever music YouTube thinks I might like.

In fact anything to keep me away from interior decorating..............though I suspect we may be locked down long enough to make doing some decorating inevitable.........

Overmiwadrers

Out of interest what wood are you planning to use for the reel seat?
TBH I havent decided yet , After a lifetime of working for Contractors and Joinery contractors and been a bit of a skip rat in the yard outside the joiners shop I have lots of bits . I have some really nice Olive wood scraps somewhere just need to find them if I dont find them I have a plank of cocobola that will look nice .. I fear though that the reel seat may end up been next winters project . Apparently I am also redecorating the Dining room....

O M W

codyarrow

Avoiding redecorating the bedroom. One more cup of tea ....then failure awaits.

shropshire_lad

I don't think the lockdown announcement changes much for me. Certainly noticed not much change to road traffic whereas during the first lockdown it was all but non-existent.

I certainly echo the comments above about avoiding the virus - the figures are very alarming down here with more that 1 in 50 having it - that's a risk every time I go shopping!

We are tentatively thinking about a house extension. My mother-in-law needs somewhere for respite when she's not looking after my father-in-law. Trouble is, it's not immediately obvious how to bolt on some self-contained accommodation - we'd have to take most of the double garage, link to the house, etc. So, I have bought some A3 graph paper and plan to sketch some things up, see how much space we have, etc. That's one project.

Another project is to de-clutter but that has been made more difficult with lockdown as I plan to sell a fair bit of stuff off and buyers collecting won't be possible.

Otherwise, continue to get out on the bike as much as possible, even though January and February weather is not that enticing. However, when the sun does peek out the winter skies can be quite something (y)

Shangerlad

Moving house.. If its allowed.. We need a set of gates too if tour taking orders.. 😜😜0Shoukd have been in in August should be in February we await to find out if building will be allowed..
Stay safe all.
Gary
Good luck with moving house!
1st attempt, house backing onto canal. put offer in to late. 2nd attempt. just around the corner. offer accepted, as chap was in the house quoting for a removal,phone rang, seller pulled out.3rd attempt. house on the opposite estate, offer rejected, decided didn't really love it enough, 1 week later regretted it, to late sold. 3 weeks really regretted it but phone rings, they cant get a mortgage are we still interested. offer accepted. 3 weeks later, our solicitor was closed down by the law society, all papers inluding our deeds shipped off to london. new solicitor,having taken deposit hadn't acctually got one available for us we find out,3 weeks later. So papers still in london. finally need a surveyor 1st one,couldn't do it off work indefinately (eye infection) 2nd one wouldn't do it worried about covid. The removal company went out of bussiness after 60 years. Finally we get to exchange contracts. Our solicitor says sellers sollicitoer complaining we are slowing thing up, we havent signed a form yet. Er, no look on your website portal, i'm looking at it, you dated it recieved 6 weeks ago. on the day of exchange,fri 4pm phone call can't exchange sellers solicitor not recieved one of sellers papers on time, monday the same, finally moved the following friday. Oh and i missed out how our buyer after the 12 week lockdown tried to renegotiate her offer £15,000 less because of covid.
To answer the original question, putting up shelves, hanging pictures, still boxes to unpack! wish i could find my black and decker workmate! How do you loose one of them in a move!

shropshire_lad

Good luck with moving house!
1st attempt, house backing onto canal. put offer in to late. 2nd attempt. just around the corner. offer accepted, as chap was in the house quoting for a removal,phone rang, seller pulled out.3rd attempt. house on the opposite estate, offer rejected, decided didn't really love it enough, 1 week later regretted it, to late sold. 3 weeks really regretted it but phone rings, they cant get a mortgage are we still interested. offer accepted. 3 weeks later, our solicitor was closed down by the law society, all papers inluding our deeds shipped off to london. new solicitor,having taken deposit hadn't acctually got one available for us we find out,3 weeks later. So papers still in london. finally need a surveyor 1st one,couldn't do it off work indefinately (eye infection) 2nd one wouldn't do it worried about covid. The removal company went out of bussiness after 60 years. Finally we get to exchange contracts. Our solicitor says sellers sollicitoer complaining we are slowing thing up, we havent signed a form yet. Er, no look on your website portal, i'm looking at it, you dated it recieved 6 weeks ago. on the day of exchange,fri 4pm phone call can't exchange sellers solicitor not recieved one of sellers papers on time, monday the same, finally moved the following friday. Oh and i missed out how our buyer after the 12 week lockdown tried to renegotiate her offer £15,000 less because of covid.
To answer the original question, putting up shelves, hanging pictures, still boxes to unpack! wish i could find my black and decker workmate! How do you loose one of them in a move!
You have succeeded in putting me off moving - I had forgotten what a nightmare it is!

....and then, after all that, you have years of DIY to look forward to, to get the place as you like it :rolleyes:

Shangerlad

You have succeeded in putting me off moving - I had forgotten what a nightmare it is!

....and then, after all that, you have years of DIY to look forward to, to get the place as you like it :rolleyes:
Sorry didn't mean to put you off, more of see the funny side of it, though i didn't find it funny at the time, i would say move if you have a reason, not on a whim. In my case, i'm getting ready for retirement(if ever) i wanted to live near church,fishing, my daughter ( we're in a bubble to help with the baby), plus office space to run my bussines. So we we're quite particular,plus my son works from home, All 3 were a good compromise. And very happy where we ended up. been here 4 weeks. Typicle though, move near the fishing and can't go!

easker1

I had a coronet with Planer, sawbench and Slot morticer, it had a band saw attachment but I have a band saw so I sold that, I did put a 1hp motor on it to replace the 1/2 hp one, but I sold it , I now have an Axminster lathe , but I don't do the turning I used to do, but it's handy to have, easker1

Jason 70

Try and keep busy on a Saturday, that's my normal fishing day. I don't mind doing very little on a Sunday, but I get restless on a Saturday if I'm not fishing I tend to pace about apparently. So get the garden ready for the spring, read some more, listen to some more podcasts, watch fishing stuff on Youtube. And try and not to crack on with the wine until the evening, that will be a mighty effort on the wine front. Dry January? Not this bloody year!

Overmiwadrers

I had a coronet with Planer, sawbench and Slot morticer, it had a band saw attachment but I have a band saw so I sold that, I did put a 1hp motor on it to replace the 1/2 hp one, but I sold it , I now have an Axminster lathe , but I don't do the turning I used to do, but it's handy to have, easker1
Mine would take a planer but I upgraded the motor to one running faster that helps the lathe and saw but means the planet would be an option they a nice machines
O M W

JayP

TBH I havent decided yet , After a lifetime of working for Contractors and Joinery contractors and been a bit of a skip rat in the yard outside the joiners shop I have lots of bits . I have some really nice Olive wood scraps somewhere just need to find them if I dont find them I have a plank of cocobola that will look nice .. I fear though that the reel seat may end up been next winters project . Apparently I am also redecorating the Dining room....

O M W

O M W
I have some 'Bethlehem' olive wood to be turned into reel seats, looks great and smells wonderful but it is quite a heavy wood, will be interesting to see what they turn out like. Just stabalising some spalted beech for a friend and that should look amazing, will post some photos up when they're done.

micka

My wife announced that the main bedroom could do with re-painting. It's been a while since I last did it so that's fair enough. Might as well do the en-suite while I'm at it. Probably re-varnish the doors as well. I'll wait until February to do it as the daylight should be better by then.

I have a new fly tying vice due for delivery tomorrow so I'll play with that for a day or two. I'm also expecting an order from a company in Ireland that I saw a write-up for in Trout & Salmon. For our Irish friends it's piscari-fly.com I've just put in a modest order of tungsten beads in the first instance to see if they are any good and if they are I'll probably deal more with them.

Apart from that it'll be walking the dogs, reading and watching stupid films on Netflix while I wait for the call to get my jab. Should be sometime in February all being well. Let's face it, it would be really stupid to get Covid NOW with the vaccine on the horizon.
Bob may I ask which vice you are getting? It's just that I'm reviewing my own vice at the moment.

For myself a little bit of room decoration. A massive task for the model railways which is creating a central electric control panel for 38 point motors (where the line switches the direction of the trains) - within my technical competence but a massive task on my sizeable loft layout. And then to create more stations, scenery, goods yards etc. Enough in itself to absorb the lockdown. But intermittently to tie more flies and reorganise my fly tying stock (which has a propensity to get a bit chaotic).

So no reason to be bored and thankfully Facebook keeps me in touch with family on a regular basis.

Mick

Overmiwadrers

I have some 'Bethlehem' olive wood to be turned into reel seats, looks great and smells wonderful but it is quite a heavy wood, will be interesting to see what they turn out like. Just stabalising some spalted beech for a friend and that should look amazing, will post some photos up when they're done.
How do you stabilise your timber. ?

O M W

benisa

Well everyone seems to very active

will get some of the jobs done that I keep putting on the back burner :)

Overmiwadrers

c8fee7cccf1b1bc2173d1a0b7de1684b.jpg

Well after somewhat underestimating how much the old girl has suffered from being mothballed under the bench for I reckon 15years the headstock has been rebuild the phosper bronze taper bearings were fine after cleaning but the ball race at the back needed renewing and somehow the thread protector had disappeared so the positive on old coronet machines is that although it’s probably 40 years old at least spares aren’t a problem , new saw blade ready for fitting and after seeing that a stopper on a cane rod is missing will see if the old scroll Chuck works and that will be first job , start small new rod stopper lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk