When is a Para Adams not a Para Adams

tiggs

I lost my last para adams in a fiesty fish a few days ago and that before I tied more, I would google it to get the correct pattern.

What an amazing result when I checked the google images, all coloured hackles from dark ginger to pale grey, bodies of every description and colour including even a deer hair body. Try the google images for yourself!

So put together a yellow body, a pale hackle instead of a grizzle and ginger in the original, a tail of any colour and to then call it an adams would have to stretch anyones imagination. The most uniform part would have to be a dubbed body but even that isnt sacred.

Is there any way patterns could be somewhat standardised or do we just put up with every tiers fancy or material on hand to make a *******ised version and then call by the original name.

In conclusion, I guess that this is how patterns evolve and new patterns are born. Its just a very confusing world out there...

Owen

Scotty90

I’d say a para Adams is not a para Adams when it is not a para Adams:cool: grey dubbing (mole) grizzle and red game hackle (tail and parachute) and a pink aero wing post for me, simply deadly.

G

guest54

It's been said a thousand times before, every fly is a variant of the original, call it whatever you like, I wouldn't argue the toss over what is a mute point.

colinc1978

If you want the ‘classic tie’ look up the materials but as you will see on here everyone ties similar and variants to give options when fishing to ring changes. To the fish it’s either food, possibly food or not food. Most flies fall into the first 2 categories and are worth checking by the fish.
The issues we have now is a lot of true classics require tying as variants as the stated materials are unavailable or illegal to buy or trade.

baztek1

I lost my last para adams in a fiesty fish a few days ago and that before I tied more, I would google it to get the correct pattern.

What an amazing result when I checked the google images, all coloured hackles from dark ginger to pale grey, bodies of every description and colour including even a deer hair body. Try the google images for yourself!

So put together a yellow body, a pale hackle instead of a grizzle and ginger in the original, a tail of any colour and to then call it an adams would have to stretch anyones imagination. The most uniform part would have to be a dubbed body but even that isnt sacred.

Is there any way patterns could be somewhat standardised or do we just put up with every tiers fancy or material on hand to make a *******ised version and then call by the original name.

In conclusion, I guess that this is how patterns evolve and new patterns are born. Its just a very confusing world out there...

Owen

I think the only conclusion I can draw from this is that google images isn’t always correct

You know what a para Adams should be google ( and a lot of others apparently ) obviously doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richfish1

I think the only conclusion I can draw from this is that google images isn’t always correct

You know what a para Adams should be google ( and a lot of others apparently ) obviously doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Google, like you say will pick up on 'para' and 'adams' so there's going to be parachute patterns and Adams variants galore.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk