Where did the swallows go?

ohanzee

It seems only weeks ago that the first swallows were arriving, the ones round me still had young making a racket in the nests a week or so ago and there are a lot still flying around, but the nests are now vacated and they are not in the nests at night, where do they go? it seems a bit early to be getting ready for migration?

LukeNZ

It seems only weeks ago that the first swallows were arriving, the ones round me still had young making a racket in the nests a week or so ago and there are a lot still flying around, but the nests are now vacated and they are not in the nests at night, where do they go? it seems a bit early to be getting ready for migration?

Gone to Africa.

JCP

They roost in reed beds and farm buildings or similar in this part of the world.The late broods might not migrate until early October.Saw a swift just the other day.Thought they had all departed.Our local colonies have taken flight early August.

JP

LukeNZ

They are still flying about, just not in the nests.

Bringing back coconuts from their migration to Africa!?

The African swallow of course; it’s just a matter of physics init? - as per King Arthur the French garrison and Monty Python...

Does anyone have that clip to post?

It must be only me that is nuts!

doobrysnatcher

Bringing back coconuts from their migration to Africa!?

The African swallow of course; it’s just a matter of physics init? - as per King Arthur the French garrison and Monty Python...

Does anyone have that clip to post?

It must be only me that is nuts!

is this it YouTube
and this YouTube

Last edited:

3lbgrayling

Our local Swifts have departed.We still have plenty of Swallows/Sand/House Martins.They were really feasting on the curly bums tonight till roost time.then the Bats took over.Hooked one ,but luckily for it and me it got off.:thumbs:

Jim

original cormorant

Bombing me with fecal sacks in Dorset last week - so they aint gone but on the verge of fledging their last brood.

Paul_B

We still have them in our parts, so it could be they heard of the tourist tax and moved a bit further south for the remainder of their summer holidays :joking:

They were sipping the water when I was fishing yesterday but not in great numbers.

tenet

We had large numbers of Swallows and Martins earlier in my part of the Cotswolds but haven't seen a single bird this past few weeks. Philomena the peasant still turns up and I noticed the pesky Roe deer have left us a present this morning next to the geraniums.:thumbsdown:

ohanzee

Bombing me with fecal sacks in Dorset last week - so they aint gone but on the verge of fledging their last brood.

Mine look to be just this years offspring left and getting ready to go, just weeks ago they fell out of nests and it looks like only a few days and they will fly to Africa or somewhere, those wee things are hard as nails.

ibm59

Swifts are long gone from the north end of Costa del Clyde , but maw , paw , and wean swallows are still about in numbers.

Seems to have been a decent breeding season hereabouts :thumbs:

lukewarm

There were a lot of swifts around early last week and saw a few couple of days ago , funny thing is though no sound from them ... not a peep. They were here at their normal time also ( first week in May ) but don’t recall seeing them this late before though.
Swallows still around in numbers but a lot have gone.One has been sitting on eggs this last week under a lychgate roof at a local church , cutting it very fine if not too late I would think.
Martins are down this year though .
Talking Mid Wales here.

Last edited:

olive_dabbler

You mean these guys? Still here...at last for now, though look like they're about to go.

e34227fd9b3f61c315419e0b7748067c

Mrtrout

Usually see the last of them mid September here, not been as many this year.
S.

taffy1

The nesting pair at the back of my house disappeared at the end of July, still see the activity of swallows et al during the day but no returns to the nest? Must be roosting elsewhere, maybe closer to a food source prior to another gigantic migration south....

tenet

The Martins are back but the US Stealth bomber passing over our house, on its way back home from Fairford this morning, made such a racket it scared them all away.:eek:mg:

Lewis Chessman

I'm presently in Caithness and counted over 50 swifts on the wires last Wednesday. The next day ... none!
There are still a few swallows around but I think the sand martins have, in the main, departed, too.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen an oyster catcher on the River Thurso for a few weeks now, either.