Where to start?

webblade

I figured I'd start on the rod butt this weekend as it will have no guides on it and I'm still waiting to build my thread wrapping jig. With all that said do I install the grip first or the reel seat first? As you can see from the picture the 3 masking tape wraps on the bottom are to pad out the reel seat. The blue is just a marking for bottom of grip. The next 2 wraps of masking tape further up the blank are padding for the grip. The top most wrap of masking tape is just a marker for top of grip. Please tell me if you see anything wrong. Also do I lightly sand the blank under the grip to provide better grip for the epoxy? Thanks guys.

20210430_192941.jpg

splinters

I always leave the seat until last. The bare blank end gives me something to chuck in the lathe or place between the rollers of my wrapper which helps with wrapping the hook keeper and signature wraps. Makes it easier to hold the blank level during epoxying or varnishing as well. But it really comes down to what suits you, there is no wrong order. Very lightly sanding the blank wont hurt but I mean very lightly, no more than removing the shine. Maybe a third wrap of masking tape in the middle of the grip? It's hard to tell from a photo and only you know how close the fit is so you decide.
This is all me being super pedantic by the way, you're doing nothing wrong here, the rod will be great.
Enjoy your build.
Simon.

webblade

I always leave the seat until last. The bare blank end gives me something to chuck in the lathe or place between the rollers of my wrapper which helps with wrapping the hook keeper and signature wraps. Makes it easier to hold the blank level during epoxying or varnishing as well. But it really comes down to what suits you, there is no wrong order. Very lightly sanding the blank wont hurt but I mean very lightly, no more than removing the shine. Maybe a third wrap of masking tape in the middle of the grip? It's hard to tell from a photo and only you know how close the fit is so you decide.
This is all me being super pedantic by the way, you're doing nothing wrong here, the rod will be great.
Enjoy your build.
Simon.
Thanks Simon,
It makes sense what you say about leaving the reel seat I will also leave it until last and I think you are right about a third wrap in the middle of the grip I'll get on it (y)

JayP

Thanks Simon,
It makes sense what you say about leaving the reel seat I will also leave it until last and I think you are right about a third wrap in the middle of the grip I'll get on it (y)
Same as Simon for me reel seat last, and, before epoxying the butt cap on make sure that both the slide bands are facing the right way 👍

dougieb

Reel seat last for me as well. If you want to keep all sections the same length, you might need to trim a little off the bottom of the first section as the reel seat cap usually adds a bit of length - not essential though

webblade

So I got started today. Took off all the masking tape and gave the blank under the grip and reel seat a light rub with emery paper. Cleaned off with IA and re-masked just for the grip this time. Mixed up some U40 rod bond and got the grip on. There was some epoxy left over so I assembled the reel seat with it. Also decided I might as well do the winding check but it seems too big. There is about 1mm of play between the check and the blank. Do I order another check that's a more snug fit or is this play acceptable? Any ideas?

splinters

The purpose of a winding check was originally to hide untidy fitting between the cork and the blank. They are more decorative these days but still aren't essential if the fit is good enough. Would a layer of wrapping thread under it fill the gap?
S.

webblade

The purpose of a winding check was originally to hide untidy fitting between the cork and the blank. They are more decorative these days but still aren't essential if the fit is good enough. Would a layer of wrapping thread under it fill the gap?
S.
I could always try the thread and see how it looks 👍

Latest posts