Which Airflo Di3 for new built rod?

pedros

I've recently built a 9' 6 7wt from a Harrisons Lohric blank. Heaviest lined rod I now own, built for fishing Brenig from the bank, so never had any 7 weight lines before

I've initially coupled it with a Snowbee XS floater and love the feel and load with this line.

Now, looking for a Di3 and heard good things about the Airflo sixth sense lines. A little puzzled however over their line ratings of either 6/7 or 7/8 so not sure which one to go for without finding some kind soul to let me have a go of theirs.

Anybody have experience of these lines when coupled with their 7 weights they can discuss?

richfish1

I don't know anything about the rod you've purchased so difficult to say really. I've got a sixth sense Di3 line in 6/7 wt. I used it on my Orvis Recon 9'6 6wt and now on my AtomSix Elemental 10ft 7wt. It works equally well on either rod, Even though the Elemental is a considerably faster rod and being one line weight above the Orvis. Take from that as you will.... 😎

Last edited:

jimboraf

I've got a 6/7wt Slow inter Sixth Sense on my 7wt Orvis rod and it casts very well. Easy to load and with handy hang marks. My favourite line to cast and loads more easily than my 7wt snowbee XS floater.

For a Di3 I would also look at the SKB Pirate line. 1/2 the price (unless you know someone with an acct at Airflo) and casts nicely with good reviews from this forum. If I could afford it though all of my lines would be sixth sense.

JayP

I use the #5/6 sixth sense di3 on my 9'6 #6 which is a Dan Craft Sig V blank with single foot recoils and it loads the rod perfectly.

pedros

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you've generally err'd on using the weight range that clearly avoids over-lining. Why do you think the lines are rated like this?

clanchief

I'd look at the blank spec of you rod again.

I have two Harrison rods both cover two weights, does yours not come as this ?

One a 9'6" 6/7 4 piece and a 10' 7/8 3 piece, I use 6 lines with the smaller rod and 7 lines on the longer rod.

I do use a Di3 in a 7# weight on a Sage Method #7 and its fine, but it likes over lined lines, note that as a sinker it will be heavier than the same weight of size in a floater to cast in theory. So you may want a 7# floater on your rod but a Di3 6/7 would be good also.

Depends on how much line you airelise ( is that a word) or want to chuck out the rod tip before shooting the line

My take on their dual sizing is that as the weight rating is measures over a certain length of the first thirty feet I think, then their version sits between such as its a 6.5 or a 7.5 really, someone will correct me.

taterdu

. . . note that as a sinker it will be heavier than the same weight of size in a floater to cast in theory.

I don't know who's theory that is but it's way off the mark.

To have its correct AFTM rating, within the limits of each rating, the first 30ft (minus level tip) will weigh the same whether it's a floater, intermediate, slow or Di7.

Charliea1234

If I were fishing a Di3 from the bank I would use the 40+ anyway..............casts further, less issues with backcast and running line easier to manage in a net or stripping basket.

Charlie

pedros

Clanchief: just checked pics of blank I took before assembling handle - defo says #7

Good suggestion re 40+

But why rate 6/7, 7/8 etc?

taterdu

Clanchief: just checked pics of blank I took before assembling handle - defo says #7

But why rate 6/7, 7/8 etc?

Simply because all rods will cast lines either side of a notional rating, the rod will load quicker with the heavier rating if that's useful for your fishing situation, similarly you would be able to aerialise more line of a lighter weight.

Additionally, one manufacturer's 6wt line may weight 168 grains which would place it at the top of the AFTM scale for 6wts but another's 7wt might weigh 178 grains, the bottom of the AFTM scale for 7wts. . . . which begs the question, how would / should a line weighing 173 grains be rated . . . maybe 6/7?

Rob Edmunds

40+ Di 3 #7 for bank work no question, especially on a Harrison blank..

Easily the best bet for bank work.

If you were going to fish the boat mostly I would of opted for a Di3 sweep #7 weight. .

clanchief

I don't know who's theory that is but it's way off the mark.

To have its correct AFTM rating, within the limits of each rating, the first 30ft (minus level tip) will weigh the same whether it's a floater, intermediate, slow or Di7.

Yes correct, but with Airflo the floating 6# weight is not the same as a sinking line weight as the sinkers are say not 6# but 6/7# so in effect a 6.5# weight.

Sort of line my Rio lines, the Rio Grand is a 7# but as we know the box says it's really one line heavier than the same 7# line in. Rio Gold.

I do agree with Rob on the Sweep lines only from the boat, and the normal Di3 or Di5 from the shore.

johnny00

If I were fishing a Di3 from the bank I would use the 40+ anyway..............casts further, less issues with backcast and running line easier to manage in a net or stripping basket.

Charlie

I agree with the 40+ recommendation, I use them on 6wt and 8wt rods and they fly out, I have floaters and a Di 3.

I'm not sure that I would fish the Di3 from the bank unless you are over very deep water.

JayP

Yes correct, but with Airflo the floating 6# weight is not the same as a sinking line weight as the sinkers are say not 6# but 6/7# so in effect a 6.5# weight.

Sort of line my Rio lines, the Rio Grand is a 7# but as we know the box says it's really one line heavier than the same 7# line in. Rio Gold.

I do agree with Rob on the Sweep lines only from the boat, and the normal Di3 or Di5 from the shore.

So is it fact that the head of an Airflo 6/7# weighs 172.5 grains?

Latest posts