which compact camera would be best --

Rhithrogena

If I project the view onto my tablet and then hold the tablet in front of the camera, it makes an infinite feedback loop...
Yep
IMG_20211015_213733199-01.jpeg

Rhithrogena

Not just the view, but the controls to adjust the settings and take the shot from the tablet/phone.
I don't understand how, but the wifi on my TG5 works through water - I can compose and take shots with the camera in a fish tank 😳

Cap'n Fishy

You’ve always got a camera

Ah - I wasn't looking at it that way. I've always got a camera too! I've got my phone with me... for emergencies. But if I go out for the purpose of taking photographs, I take my camera... because the quality of the shots from the mobile phone are shite compared to the shots from the camera. 😜

Cap'n Fishy

it's not the camera that takes good pictures Col, as you know 😉

Yeh-yeh, for sure, it's the photographer that makes the photo, not the camera. But you need a tool that is up to the task. A mobile phone isn't going to help you make this shot...

BuchantyOct21_0273.jpg

Or this...

Bokeh_9126.jpg

Or this...

Bagatelle_4884.jpg

Or this...

Eclipse20Mar15_1065.jpg

(That's the sun, by the way.)

Or this...

FalkirkChristmas2018_9681.jpg

85 mm @ f1.4

Or this...

Flowers03Aug18_1575.jpg

Or this...

DunsapieLoch15Dec20_6376.jpg

Or this...

Bat31Jul16_7059.jpg

Or this...

Trossachs25Sep21_9423.jpg

That's a phantom larva @ x5 macro.

Or this...

Perthshire02Nov17_3569.jpg

Or this...

Menteith10Jun16_4631.jpg

If you want those sorts of shots, you are going to need a camera, not a mobile phone... is my point. ;)

Maybe 'quality' is the wrong term. Maybe 'capability' is a better term... :)

Last edited:

dgp

Ah - I wasn't looking at it that way. I've always got a camera too! I've got my phone with me... for emergencies. But if I go out for the purpose of taking photographs, I take my camera... because the quality of the shots from the mobile phone are shite compared to the shots from the camera. 😜
Yes if my objective is taking photographs I take my full frame Sony and lenses but if I,m going fishing especially if its a good walk to the water or in a boat or wading then I,m fishing but as you know sometimes that magic shot occurs and you can get a very good image from the latest mobile phones -certainly not sh1te

Whinging pom

it's not the camera that takes good pictures Col, as you know 😉
“It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head.”

Henri Cartier-Bresson

He also said something like:” A Great photograph is a combination of geometry, timing and a question!”

Which when I think about memorable great photographs that stick in my head those parameters are so true.
It’s about seeing images and taking them, getting caught up in the technicalities, fumbling with equipment is often a distraction. So yeah phones are great.

I like having that extra quality too.
( Gawd if only I’d shot that on a proper camera)

Just look at the kind of things your likely to photograph ( with me when fishing it’s landscapes, details in nature, and some flys) and make sure the camera is capable and don’t ask too much, ( so Iam best served with a wide angle to normal lens with some macro setting) many things can be done in simple post cropping etc.
What you need to ask as it’s going with you into the adventure.

Is it robust?
Is it going to be a convenient companion?, Do I understand the functions?
Is the lens fast (small f number) .
Will it stay charged long enough and will I need spare batteries.
What are the user reviews like ?

For ME, my almost ideal compact camera is a Fujifilm finepix X100, but I wouldn’t it would suit many others on here. Just based on my experience and what sort of photos appeal to me.

(I can also take good pictures with a hole in a cardboard box, but it’s neither robust nor particularly convenient. It is simple and a lesson in just how little is needed to take great photos)

oh and the last word from Henri-Cartier Bresson
…”Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.”
(But don’t ever, ever say that I front of Col ! 😉)
Edit :
By the way why isn’t a fishermen’s guide to photography posted up at the top of the forum, like the Understanding threads.
It’s a criminal waste of a brilliant and dedicated piece of work !

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

Yes if my objective is taking photographs I take my full frame Sony and lenses but if I,m going fishing especially if its a good walk to the water or in a boat or wading then I,m fishing but as you know sometimes that magic shot occurs and you can get a very good image from the latest mobile phones -certainly not sh1te
Just Google 'smarphone vs camera' and it is obvious where camera development dollars are being spent. Smartphones do indeed kill compact cameras, even high-end ones, in some cases these days. On board processing and sharing, better image quality in several cases, and much better computational imaging software.
If the compact cameras had the same tech, they would be top dog, but as it is, it is not as clear cut as it was a few years ago....

Reactions: dgp

wobbly face

Some smart phones now have high spec cameras. Not only that, they are powerful mini computers (something that cameras don't have). Couple that to some very good camera Apps (Adobe Lightroom CC Mobile being just one) and you're on a winner, almost! :unsure:
Check this guy's photography out:
I do prefer a camera myself. :)

scobo

Last edited:

Bobfly2

Here is a very small and sad mortality, flown into a house window this morning. Mobile phone and quite close. You can zoom in on the photo quite well.

Attachments

• 20211016_150505.jpg
    20211016_150505.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24

Cap'n Fishy

For sure - I am more inclined to take the risk of being out with just my mobile these days. In the past, if it was too much bulk to take the big dSLR (eg a day river fishing), I would take the compact. Nowadays, I just take the mobile phone. The upshot is that I doubt I have used my compact in the past 3 years. (Don't tell Douglas! 😜)

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Just Google 'smarphone vs camera' and it is obvious where camera development dollars are being spent. Smartphones do indeed kill compact cameras, even high-end ones, in some cases these days. On board processing and sharing, better image quality in several cases, and much better computational imaging software.
If the compact cameras had the same tech, they would be top dog, but as it is, it is not as clear cut as it was a few years ago....

It's kind of why I was thinking that anyone looking for a compact should be looking for one with:

a viewfinder
a fast lens
full 'PASM' controls
autofocus and manual focusing options
manual control of ISO
exposure compensation
exposure modes, including evaluative and spot
a flash hot-shoe
image stabilisation
ability to record in RAW format
exposure bracketing
good macro functionality
movable focusing point

Because, if you just go for a point-and-shoot compact, you really would be just as well using your mobile phone. :unsure:

4wings

The mrs bought me a Sony DSCWX350 for my birthday this year.
Tiny wee thing yet has a 20x zoom.
I'm like yerself Douglas, don't know a great deal about photography and just wanted something that I can press a button and get decent pics with.

Couple of my efforts with its so far .....

View attachment 44506

View attachment 44508
I have a Cybershot DSCW50, lovely little camera, I did not have a mobile phone/camera but I used to carry this pocket sized camera everywhere and even sent technical photos to Italy to get urgent spare parts.

Rhithrogena

It's kind of why I was thinking that anyone looking for a compact should be looking for one with:

a viewfinder
a fast lens
full 'PASM' controls
autofocus and manual focusing options
manual control of ISO
exposure compensation
exposure modes, including evaluative and spot
a flash hot-shoe
image stabilisation
ability to record in RAW format
exposure bracketing
good macro functionality
movable focusing point

Because, if you just go for a point-and-shoot compact, you really would be just as well using your mobile phone. :unsure:
Apart from a viewfinder and hotshoe, the best phones DO have all of these now Col 😉

Cap'n Fishy

Apart from a viewfinder and hotshoe, the best phones DO have all of these now Col 😉
Ah well, there is another issue... trying to stay up to date with the latest mobile phone in order to stay up to date with the latest mobile phone camera. Too much technology for me! My phone doesn't have most of that list, and I have no intention of changing it any time soon, as it does everything I need it to. My compact, as already said, is 13 years old. My main camera is 5 years old and redundant, as dSLR technology has been superseded by mirrorless... with a whole new lens mount... so I am tied to my dSLR by my collection of lenses, which will be good quality glass forever and a day. I have no need to change any of it, as it all does what I want it to.

But would you teach yourself 'photography 1.0.1' as well with the latest mobile phone as you would with my 13 year old compact.... :unsure:

Cap'n Fishy

Do we say to Douglas, in answer to the OP: 'just get yourself a new mobile phone?' :unsure:

Rhithrogena

But would you teach yourself 'photography 1.0.1' as well with the latest mobile phone as you would with my 13 year old compact.... :unsure:
A very good question. To take good photos used to demand an understanding of how the camera worked. Today you can watch Youtube clips and can take thousands of exposures and see the reults instantly, and learn by trial and error in a fraction of the time we spent back in the day...
Exposure, aperture, shutter, wb, focus can all be changed by sliding a finger and seeing the result on the screen immediately.
Photography 1.0.1 is possibly easier to understand than ever...

Latest posts