which compact camera would be best --

Whinging pom

I cheated a wee bit and it was many years back.
The lens was somewhere less than f602 ( metered with a minolta 3 f) It was a piece of fine brass scrim with a tiny pinprick.
The film plate was 400 trix . I deved at constant agitation for 10 mins pushing the iso to 1000 or 1600 while not pushing the grain size up).
so allowing for repricocity failure I would have exposed for about 4-8 secs only. on that day. ( It was one of those typical English summers, slightly overcast f8 @ 125 sorts of days.)

I then battled like mad in the darkroom to get the shadow detail in the foreground while keeping the blacks. And then screwed up the mid-ground trees by pulling the exposure with a mask so that I could burn in the sky detail without a halo around the trees. unfortunately, I left them a bit wishy-washy but I love the sky especially that white cloud just holding detail.
I cropped out about 25 percent of the surrounding neg where the image fell away.

Of all the pinhole stuff I took that has got to be the sharpest. Its a bit boring but shows what can be achieved
I preferred my f 256 and f128 they were moodier I have one for my digital too but the effects are too contrived.

Its not the camera that takes the picture though, the photographer creates it, and the more at ease they are with the equipment the more of them that comes through. Look at my stuff and Colins stuff, we're both in control of our mediums and technically capable. Because we are in control you can see our two very different personalities. I bet if you got the two of us to take say pictures of mayflies You'd get two very different technically proficient interpretations summing up our tastes and some of our personalities.

Last edited:

dgp

Doesn't answer the question though. The question is:

You want to teach yourself photography. To start out, do you pick a compact camera with full manual controls, as described above, or do you pick one of the latest mobile phones?

It's a no-brainer for me. I would pick a compact with a viewfinder, as I think that is essential, and it would have a tripod mount thread. Learning photography is going to involve the use of a tripod. How many mobile phones can you mount on a tripod?

Just my angle on it... 😜
If you want to get into photography then I agree absolutely with your comments. However don’t dismiss a mobile that is with you through all your fishing adventures and is available when those magic moments crop up when you don’t expect it. you know what I mean- the light on the water, sun catching the snow covered tops, your mate reeling in the fish of a lifetime etc etc

Cap'n Fishy

If you want to get into photography then I agree absolutely with your comments. However don’t dismiss a mobile that is with you through all your fishing adventures and is available when those magic moments crop up when you don’t expect it. you know what I mean- the light on the water, sun catching the snow covered tops, your mate reeling in the fish of a lifetime etc etc

For sure. As I already said, I blame having a mobile phone on me at all times for my laziness to take the compact camera in situations where the dSLR is out of the question. 😜

A couple taken on my mobile phone last week...

These would normally have been a job for my compact. I was aware with the shot of the pike that I was concentrating on just getting the shot in a very regimented way... arm's length photography... square it up, meet it face on... hold phone steady... take shot...

Back in the days of taking my compact fishing with me, I had a viewfinder and I would try to do a bit with the angles...

Grayling16Nov_1885.jpg

Grayling12Jan13_1537.jpg

😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

And if you are a mobile phone photographer, how would you go about taking these shorts of shots?

Cramond27Jun18_8795.jpg

Buchanty2013_7840.jpg

Buchanty25Oct2017_2919.jpg

6174-Fly-box-slow-shutter.jpg

Fireworks31Dec17_4266.jpg

Fireworks31Dec16_6877.jpg

Fireworks31Dec15_6118.jpg

Lightning01Jul15_7980.jpg

Lightning01Jul15_8141.jpg

While it is true they were all taken with a dSLR, there is nothing about any of them that could not have been taken with a compact camera with manual controls.

Those shots also require a tripod with a mount for the camera... a remote shutter release cord, and the camera in shutter priority or bulb mode... and possibly with a neutral density filter on the lens... ;) All doable with a good compact.

Could you get those with a mobile phone?

Col

dgp

If I was going to take those shots then I would take my full frame camera shoot in raw and Photoshop where needed. My point is I have taken really good images which are precious to me with a mobile when out fishing (i take photos for myself not to impress other people even though a member of a camera club). I certainly don't agree with your comment "because the quality of the shots from the mobile phone are shite compared to the shots from the camera."

Paul_B

If I was going to take those shots then I would take my full frame camera shoot in raw and Photoshop where needed. My point is I have taken really good images which are precious to me with a mobile when out fishing (i take photos for myself not to impress other people even though a member of a camera club). I certainly don't agree with your comment "because the quality of the shots from the mobile phone are shite compared to the shots from the camera."

My Grandaughter nearly 16 has being doing camera lesions at school for a couple of years now, I've given her my micro lenses and SLR camera, she already has a digital with a selection of lenses, plus they've show them all the tricks with her iPhone.

We know how good the younger generation are with computers :)

Cap'n Fishy

I certainly don't agree with your comment "because the quality of the shots from the mobile phone are shite compared to the shots from the camera."

It's not something you can disagree with, really. It's a fact. The comment refers to my mobile phone, which does take much poorer quality shots than my camera. Other folk might have mobile phones that are superior to mine and get quality closer to that of their camera. The 2 shots in post #84 were taken with my mobile phone and would have been much better if I had taken them with my full frame camera in RAW format. I also had to work on them in Photoshop to get them as good as I was able - not something you are really meant to do with JPEGs. The sky in the first one is particularly dodgy.

If you take your full frame camera and shoot in RAW, when you want the best quality, then you are acknowledging that you will get better quality with a full frame camera shooting in RAW than you will with a mobile phone. That is just a fact. And it's not just the spec of the device. It's the whole ergonomics and aesthetics of the image-taking process... the way the camera sits in the hand and the way the fingers sit over the buttons, ready to press the AF toggle, or shift the focusing point, or double the shutter speed, and all the rest. The way the eye looks through the viewfinder, composes the scene, and then checks the settings and the spirit level before you press the shutter button... (y)

Col

dgp

Ok I agree that if you want to get into serious photography and with respect to the original OP then buy a camera !! 👍😉. End of.