Which length Vision Onki

bothrops

Following all the reviews on this site I have decided to buy a Vision Onki 6wt rod but cannot decide on the length as there are three options that interest me, the 9ft, 9ft 6 and 10ft. I am avery experienced fly fisher of average ability and would be using the rod on small southern trout stillwaters and my local Dorset and Avon rivers for chub. My old favourite budget Sage VT2 is currently back in the USA for repair and with the current virus insanity it maybe a long time before I get it back, hence the Vision Onki stop-gap purchase.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

roger h 10

As the author of many of the reviews that are on here andlooking at the type of fishing that you want to do I would reccommend the 9' #5 weight.

bothrops

Gentlemen, many thanks for your responses...much appreciated. I was erring towards a 6wt for the purely pragmatic reason that I already have a 6wt Lamson Waterworks reel that went with my 6wt Sage. In your opinion would I need to get a 5wt reel to go with the Vision or would the Lamson work OK?

Mies

Gentlemen, many thanks for your responses...much appreciated. I was erring towards a 6wt for the purely pragmatic reason that I already have a 6wt Lamson Waterworks reel that went with my 6wt Sage. In your opinion would I need to get a 5wt reel to go with the Vision or would the Lamson work OK?

Just get a spare spool for the 5wt line. Cheaper than buying a new reel.

Scotty Mitchell

I’d agree totally. My regular fishing partner has the 9’#5 and it’s a wand. It’ll be perfect for your requirements.
You’ll struggle, really struggle, to find a better rod at the price. It’s a way better rod than some 3 times the price.

york1e

As the author of many of the reviews that are on here andlooking at the type of fishing that you want to do I would reccommend the 9' #5 weight.
Roger. Where would I find the review on this rod. I was broken into a couple months ago and lost my rods and reels included in the loss was Sage XP's old Hardy Gems and Orvis Trident so looking for a rod to replace my rods

T_James

I've come to prefer longer rods, roll casting goes further, line control is much better on rivers etc., and on still waters with objects behind the extra length gives that bit extra clearance.

PaulD

My old favourite budget Sage VT2 is currently back in the USA for repair and with the current virus insanity it maybe a long time before I get it back, hence the Vision Onki stop-gap purchase.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

How long is 'your old favourite'? It might give you a clue.

roger h 10

Roger. Where would I find the review on this rod. I was broken into a couple months ago and lost my rods and reels included in the loss was Sage XP's old Hardy Gems and Orvis Trident so looking for a rod to replace my rods
There are two reviews which I wrote on the forum a while ago,although these are on the 10'#6 and 9'#4 everything that I've said about the #4 weight applies to the #5. Both lovely little gems.