which lines?

pikey1

Hi All, fairly new to trout fishing but I have got a Greys GRXi 9'6" #6/7 rod and a Vision Koma 7/8 reel my question is which two lines do you recommend for a beginner, most of my fishing will be done on smallish stillwaters, cheers in advance
John

garethl

Pro Member
I'd go with a Floating #7 and an intermediate #7 for when you wanna get a bit of depth.

The Shakespeare Worcestershire fly lines are awesome lines and are also quite cheap too (www.johnnorris.co.uk do them for £19.99 each).

There's also a LOT of good press on forum regarding Bario fly lines (www.barrio-fishing-tackle.co.uk). They're supposed to be excellent and only cost £16. I'll be trying them soon myself.

Hope this helps John, and welcome to the forum!

Narfish

Floating line and Intermediate would be my advice for smaller stillwaters as the depths of the lakes will not usually be over 20 feet and more likely much more shallow than that! Floating line can be used for dry fly, nymphs and lures, you can vary your depth by the weight of you fly, length of leader and the speed of your retreive, and when the fish are down towards the bottom an intermediate will enable you to go that much deeper, quicker.

The danger with fast/faster sinking line is that you end up on the bottom too quickly on small waters and all you catch is weed.

As for makes, there are shed loads out there, but I'm quite happy with my Shakespeares!! There are quite a few links on here and the old forum http://flyforums.proboards53.com/ about differing makes of fly line if you have the time to plough through them.

All the best

Chris

sage

Pro Member
Hi All.

One thing to think about is head length,of the fly line, if you get one that has a shortish head around the 40' mark it will load the rod quickly and want to shoot well, all helps you out when you are starting out.

As other people say if you have a 6-7# get a 7# line this will also help load the rod quicker.

3lbgrayling

if you pm the pitsford pirate on here you'll get a shakespear worcester float and inter for £12.99 each ;) can't get any better than that

jim

Spider

Pikey, I'd go Greys Playinum, in Grey. Fine all rounder ........

alan

If you are new to the sport I would suggest that you start out with only a floating weight foward line, and add intermediate at a later date (when your casting is getting there).

As most of us are far more damaging to flylines at the outset (I remember slicing through a new £50 line with the leader, on first trip with a new line!), I would suggest looking for a mill end for £5 - £10 from somewhere like Mularkeys - if you can get a peach coloured one it is probably a Cortland.

Once you have the casting sorted, lessons are a good idea, I would choose a Michael Evans floating line, rarely use sinking lines so attach less significance to them.

lenny

I'll second Jim, drop Pitsfordpirate a pm, he will sort you out with a couple very nice lines for not much more than the cost of a couple of mill ends.

flyonly2006

Banned
Banned
Spider wrote: Pikey, I'd go Greys Playinum, in Grey. Fine all rounder ........

I have a Grays Platinum and it's not in the same league as the Shakespeare Worcs. I also agree that the Pitsford Pirate's Worcs lines are great value.

Bill

pikey1

Thanks

Hi Lads,
Many thanks for all the replies I think Iwill go with the Worcestershires that seems to be the General recommendation and I don't want to spend a fortune. I was a bit reluctant to ask in case it seemed a stupid question but all the replies make me feel better, great site, lots of info and a good crack judging by some of the posts Cheers once again Lads

Earhooker

Shakespeare Glider Fly Lines

Hi I am a novice caster as well and my instructor recomended SHAKESPEARE GLIDER FLY LINES
as being a VERY good casting line and equal to lines costing twice the recomended price of £25
BUT !!!!!!! John norris are selling them at a price you wont believe !!!
AND The shakespear Worcesters Half price as well !!
http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/system/shopassistant.htm

I am not connected with them and hope i am not breaking any forum rules by giving you the heads up on a bargain
regards Earhooker

Last edited:

browndog

Pikey1

I've been in the game 2 seasons now, and I have to admit, I've spent a fortune on lines. I wish I'd known about this forum when I started fishing but unfortunately for me, I didn't.

I bought a load of Airflow, which in my opinion, sucks. Maybe its because my casting is not so strong, but I was convinced into buying an Airflow Platinum line at a price of £65. This was in my first season!! Conned is all I can say.

To cut this short, I jus bought a Snowbee XS floater at £37. I don't know enough people to get any sort of deal, but I'll tell you something, I've never had a line with as little memory and one that casts so well.

Its so easy to shoot as its weight forward and it honestly makes me look as tho I can cast which really impresses all the ladies down the resi I tell you!!!

Jokes aside, I've heard that the Shakespeare line is a great starter, but when it fades, if your looking for something good, (you'll prob only ever hear good reports) try a Snowbee as your next line.

You'll be well impressed!!!

I was

Mo

pikey1

Cheers !

Cheers for the advice Browndog and everyone else I will just stick with these Worcestershires until I get a bit better and I can hopefully catch a few fish.

Latest posts