Which Rio line for Sage X?

AndrewL

I matched a Rio single handed Spey to my 940-4 Sage X last year thinking I'd be doing a lot of roll casting. However, I find I do very little, so maybe there is a better line I should try? Trouble is there are so many Rio variants available. What would be the consensus from those who have used a Sage X on rivers? Thanks.

speytime

What is it your fishing, dry, lures etc stillwaters or river/streams?
Personally I wouldn't limit myself to rio there's many more good lines out there without the silly prices.
Snowbee xs is good, barrio Gt 90/125/slx are good, guidline mastery series are good maxcatch golds are good, it really depends where and what the intended use is, horses for courses.

Al

luddite

Send an email to Sage asking them, tell them for what purpose like speytime says and they should suggest a Rio line for you, as they are owned by the same company

AndrewL

What is it your fishing, dry, lures etc stillwaters or river/streams?
Personally I wouldn't limit myself to rio there's many more good lines out there without the silly prices.
Snowbee xs is good, barrio Gt 90/125/slx are good, guidline mastery series are good maxcatch golds are good, it really depends where and what the intended use is, horses for courses.

Al
Rivers, nymphs and dries

JCP

I matched a Rio single handed Spey to my 940-4 Sage X last year thinking I'd be doing a lot of roll casting. However, I find I do very little, so maybe there is a better line I should try? Trouble is there are so many Rio variants available. What would be the consensus from those who have used a Sage X on rivers? Thanks.
Obviously you have tried other casts including overhead with the Single Hand Spey ? Mine although not a 4wt does it all really well.Nymphs and dries on a river Rio Gold is a good allrounder.

JP

speytime

I use a shs with my 4wt it covers everything fine for me, imo it's subtle enough for dries and it gets me into water I couldn't get near with a conventional line.

For overhead casting I like the Snowbee xs, barrio Gt 90/125 and a maxcatch gold I use all 4 and like all of them.
The maxcatch gold is a star buy imo.

Al

Scotty90

Guide fly fishing recommend a rio gold. They are the uk sage reps. I’ve had the 490, 590, 690, 790, 796, 696 and I tried a lot of lines with them. SA MPX is good as is Rio intouch gold but I liked a Rio perception on them. My favourite floater that I’ve found ever is an Orvis access (discontinued) which worked a treat on the X rods, hard to find now but maybe eBay, not a top dollar line but not a total cheapo either, a gem of a line.

JCP

Guide fly fishing recommend a rio gold. They are the uk sage reps. I’ve had the 490, 590, 690, 790, 796, 696 and I tried a lot of lines with them. SA MPX is good as is Rio intouch gold but I liked a Rio perception on them. My favourite floater that I’ve found ever is an Orvis access (discontinued) which worked a treat on the X rods, hard to find now but maybe eBay, not a top dollar line but not a total cheapo either, a gem of a line.
Did Rio make Orvis lines ? I seem to recall might have been the case at one time ? Seems logical given the profile of the two companies.

JP

Scotty90

Did Rio make Orvis lines ? I seem to recall might have been the case at one time ? Seems logical given the profile of the two companies.

JP
Scientific anglers make orvis lines, not sure if rio made them previously but I don't think so.