Which Scissors

geo4316

Looking for a pair of scissors with a really thin sharp point if that makes sense, its for cutting tiny bits of thread on the head after whip finish etc. Can you point me in the right place. Thanks

icejohn

Well best scissors I got were very cheap pair I bought nail scissors and took a dremel to it and shape the points how you want them. They my go to pair now even though they look all scratched.

Yes second the rubis

Last edited:

baca157

These are the scissors that are included in the C&F Marco Polo fly tying set - made by Rubis -

They are excellent.
They are indeed excellent but it may be worth highlighting that Rubis don't make their scissors. The manufacturer and designer of these scissors is a Polish company called Renomed. Renomed makes scissors for C&F, Rubis and Marc Petitjean.

They should be available cheaper under Renomed brand.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Paul_B

I use these and they're also excellent

If you need smaller

Tangled

If you want to lose that little tag after whip finishing, just run a scalpel down the thread while pulled tight and cut it right at the head.

Whinging pom

Ive tried loads veniard . Rubis the ones in my C &F kit etc none really thrilled me.
Great for some things pants for others.

Ive some little spring scissors for less than a fiver and learnt how to sharpen them with a diamond stone . They are the best. Just gave them away with a vice and bought a slightly more expensive pair and I just can’t get the blade right on these yet, but I will.

My advice is buy a decent diamond sharpener and you can transform most blades it’s really not that difficult.

This the sharpener I use . Not bad for knifes and secateurs too.
89E8E7DE-ABC6-48B2-AC28-5249F75F9215.jpeg

Last edited:

baca157

The Iris scissors in the first link do the same and at less than a fiver including delivery they're a snip :)
And no danger of bleeding to death either! How durable are those scissors Paul?

The best fly tying scissors I tried are Tiemco Tungsten Carbide Razor scissors. They have super fine points, are razor sharp and really sturdy. No cheap but pleasure to use. Sadly, they are no longer available anywhere.

Kopter scissors are also amazing but the points on them are not as fine. The friction disc on them is a very interesting feature. I really like the resistance it gives when closing the blades.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Paul_B

And no danger of bleeding to death either! How durable are those scissors Paul?

The best fly tying scissors I tried are Tiemco Tungsten Carbide Razor scissors. They have super fine points, are razor sharp and really sturdy. No cheap but pleasure to use. Sadly, they are no longer available anywhere.

Kopter scissors are also amazing but the points on them are not as fine. The friction disc on them is a very interesting feature. I really like the resistance it gives when closing the blades.

Cheers,
Sebastian

I only use them for cotton and feather and theyre still as new, they're so good that while I was looking for the link I accidently clicked buy, oops.

I still use carbon scissors I got off Mick Bell (bloke rods) and they're just as good.

Bobfly2

I have approx 9 pairs with a couple with the tungsten edge. They all have a rub with a fine grade diamond hone once every few months to keep a good edge on them. The only feature I always want is a roomy enough finger loop. The only change I make is a string wrap bulge in one handle loop so they cannot lie flat, so they are always easier to pick up. A bit nerdy, but it works.

Attachments

• 20210903_195214.jpg
    20210903_195214.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Paul_B

I have approx 9 pairs with a couple with the tungsten edge. They all have a rub with a fine grade diamond hone once every few months to keep a good edge on them. The only feature I always want is a roomy enough finger loop. The only change I make is a string wrap bulge in one handle loop so they cannot lie flat, so they are always easier to pick up. A bit nerdy, but it works.

I have phone holder magnet stuck to my bits drawer

Attachments

• 1630739635048.png
    1630739635048.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

m r roid

I've tried just about every type of scissors available, but have settled with 4" adjustable razor scissors 😊

goldenolive

I've tried just about every type of scissors available, but have settled with 4" adjustable razor scissors 😊
Me too!
I'm delighted with my tungsten carbide razor scissors, I made and expensive mistake when Unfortunately my first pair fell on the floor under my desk and broke off the tips, I had to get a new pair and a rug for under my tying desk incase the new pair fall too.

Paul_B

I only use them for cotton and feather and theyre still as new, they're so good that while I was looking for the link I accidently clicked buy, oops.

I still use carbon scissors I got off Mick Bell (bloke rods) and they're just as good.

The scissors came today and they're amazingly sharp :)
For less than £4 and thats with 2 euros postage, thats amazing value,

1631650130278.png

Latest posts