While the deer hair was out...

iainmortimer

Simple sedges. These work so well for me I don’t see the point in making them any more complicated especially as they catch so many fish that it’s one I often replace.

Hook: Osprey barbless nymph VH231 #12
Thread: 6/0 uni yellow
Body: ginger seals fur
Wing: coastal deer hair.

BD5A079F-0683-4E66-B033-9399D607CF55.jpeg

unclealec

Just like the ones I have been tying for years (though yours are much neater).
As I age and wither, I have taken to using a bunch of white Antron as a wing; not because it improves the resemblance to a sedge, but because I tend to use sedges towards the end of the day, and it makes them so much easier to pick out in the gathering gloom.

ackroyd

These are splendid flies and the profile of the underside is absolutely correct, so I am not surprised that you see no need to refine them.
Forgive my pedantry, but why do you use coastal deer hair from the States when winter roe deer is so plentiful here and is ideal for this purpose? (see Bob Wyatt's books).

GEK79

Simple sedges. These work so well for me I don’t see the point in making them any more complicated especially as they catch so many fish that it’s one I often replace.

Hook: Osprey barbless nymph VH231 #12
Thread: 6/0 uni yellow
Body: ginger seals fur
Wing: coastal deer hair.

View attachment 29115
Needed a few of them last night.. 😜

Sash

Forgive my pedantry, but why do you use coastal deer hair from the States when winter roe deer is so plentiful here and is ideal for this purpose? (see Bob Wyatt's books).
Really interesting: could you tell me what part of the roe hide is best in this regard? Back? Tail? Flanks?
thanks

iainmortimer

Really interesting: could you tell me what part of the roe hide is best in this regard? Back? Tail? Flanks?
thanks
Yes it’s generally along the centre of the hide where the spine runs as it’s shorter hair and so doesn’t flare so much. I believe the season is important too for if it’s to close to moulting you tend to get the long lighter shaft which is good for muddlers but tends to flare to much for wings. While I know that though, I couldn’t tell you what that time of year that is although logically I’d imagine mid summer to get the shorter finer hair or end of winter for the longer, thicker more ‘flarey’ stuff! I’m sure I’ve read somewhere too that hair from the USA is much better than the UK and so coastal deer is something I’ve become accustomed to using. I also like the dark colour for sedge and DHE’s. Whether that’s true fact or just my perception I couldn’t say as I’m no expert!

Last edited:

iainmortimer

These are splendid flies and the profile of the underside is absolutely correct, so I am not surprised that you see no need to refine them.
See my comment above, apologies I read Sash’s post before seeing yours!

ackroyd

If coastal deer is your preference, sir, it is not for me to carp or criticise, but, honestly, I do find winter roe taken from the central spine area ideal for my purposes.

Very nice tying if I may say so. Tight lines.

doobrysnatcher

does the colour really matter as i always thought for sedges it was shape and size (shilloette)and olives it was exact copy of shading colour and size?

iainmortimer

does the colour really matter as i always thought for sedges it was shape and size (shilloette)and olives it was exact copy of shading colour and size?
In the past I’d have said no but I have had many occasions where say a bleached deer hair fly has been refused a number of times while a dark haired one accepted. Obviously those are extreme differences but it can’t hurt especially when it’s a cheap and easy to get material.

As Ackroyd has said though, there is a personal preference thing too as with many material options.

Last edited:

dgp

In the last I’d have said know but Inhave has many occasions where say a bleached deer hair fly has been refused a number of times while a dark haired one accepted. Obviously those are extreme differences but it can’t hurt especially when it’s a cheap and easy to get material.

As Ackroyd has said though, there is a personal preference thing too as with many material options.
My experience too! - I usually tie on a dark one but sometimes the bleached one can be very attractive.