WHIP FINISH TOOL

bonnie2

Hi, looking for older ( vintage ) whip finish tool. rotating ......barrell black plastic handle with 2 brass cap ends if anyone knows the whereabouts or has spare would love to buy'
best regards

bear

Maybe the OP should have posted in the "Wanted" section however, he has given a description as to what he wants... not what everyone else is using.
Agreed, but as no one had replied, I thought I’d link a virtually identical tool from his description, other than the black handle 👍

pentlandflyman

If it's second easiest to your fingers, why not just use your fingers? :unsure:
used to do it by hand but started using the whip finish tool in the early 90's and haven't looked back, i tried using the fingers again recently and couldn't do it. i now have a lovely collection of whip finish tools, the c&f being my favourite just now. to be honest the speed and neatness i can get with a tool cannot be achieved by my fingers.

Cap'n Fishy

. . . and, would you believe, South of the border, we use a knife and fork to eat.
Yeh - we use them too.

I just find it strange that people who don't use a tool to put a neck-tie on or to tie their shoe laces, and who tie grinners and blood knots and water-knots and Davy knots and all sorts of others without a tool, choose to use one to finish off a fly. :unsure:

Col

pentlandflyman

Yeh - we use them too.

I just find it strange that people who don't use a tool to put a neck-tie on or to tie their shoe laces, and who tie grinners and blood knots and water-knots and Davy knots and all sorts of others without a tool, choose to use one to finish off a fly. :unsure:

Col
not everyone has a steady hand and not everyone has perfectly smooth manicured fingers. fine thread and a tiny area to whip finish onto is a bit different to a tie, shoe laces or nylon fishing line. if you can use your fingers well done have a gold star for your chart, some of us prefer/need a tool though. i am sure you own a car ? you have legs so why don't you walk everywhere ?

Cap'n Fishy

... the speed and neatness i can get with a tool cannot be achieved by my fingers.
I'm faster* and neater with my fingers, so that probably explains why I'm skeptical about the tools.

*Not having to break away from forming the head, stop, pick up the tool, engage the thread, and then re-start, is a contributing factor to being quicker with fingers. You just carry on in a continuous process... wind, wind, loop, whip whip... finish. ;)

Cap'n Fishy

not everyone has a steady hand and not everyone has perfectly smooth manicured fingers. fine thread and a tiny area to whip finish onto is a bit different to a tie, shoe laces or nylon fishing line. if you can use your fingers well done have a gold star for your chart, some of us prefer/need a tool though. i am sure you own a car ? you have legs so why don't you walk everywhere ?
If the folk who used a tool said they use it because they are all thumbs and have hacks on their fingers and a touch of the Hattie Jacques, or failing eyesight, I would say: fine, if I were you I'd probably use a tool as well.

But that's not what they say. They always say the can do it fine with their fingers, but they prefer a tool.

Col

easker1

Yeh - we use them too.

Col
Didn't know you could get them?o_O easker1

PaulD

Yeh - we use them too.

Col
When I started tying in the 60s I learned to finish with my fingers, it was quick convenient and I saw no reason to 'fuss' with a tool. After many years my fishing and fly tying needs changed, I was needing to tie successively smaller patterns, below 18 and into the 20s. I eventually discovered the Matarelli tool and soon found how good it was to position and secure fine threads ahead of tiny hackles or in very confined spaces. It's a useful tool.