whiting pro grade hackles

doobrysnatcher

first time ever buying these are they worth the money
142415640_453495396061260_4437789153321545639_n.jpg
142444143_453495499394583_3182644449923235820_n.jpg

doobrysnatcher

i understand you get 5 or 6 flies a hackle but how many of the same fly does one need ,after all there bloomin expensive

doobrysnatcher

any one want a 1/2 or 1/4swop for a copper olive one its the one on the left in both pictures above
or the golive one on the right in both pics

Last edited:

arkle

Doobry... with most Whiting saddle feathers, you can get nearer to, or in excess of 10 flies per feather & there's now no need to pay for a cape/saddle or even part of one, check out www.hooksandhackles.com

Wee Jimmy

Great colours, what supplier did you buy them from..?
Is the barb length on them suitable for size 10 wets..?

kerryjordan

Great colours, what supplier did you buy them from..?
Is the barb length on them suitable for size 10 wets..?
I think you would do better by buying Whiting hen capes. Brilliant quality, more mobility for a wet fly hackle and so much cheaper.
Nigel at Lakeland fly tying has good stocks and will give you sound advice.

arkle

Jimmy, these are from his own stock as a pro-tyer, so as he's going into semi-retirement, he's reducing his stock. They are all. a.t.m. dry saddle feathers & if you specify the hook size/s, before ordering, he'll do his best to find them for you. They will be gradually "rolled out" to selected dealers, though initially buy them direct.

PaulD

Just to emphasise, illustrate the point, here's a hackle just pulled from a Whiting Bronze Midge Dry Fly Saddle. 9 inches long, consistent density and length of barbs for the entire feather - they're a joy to tie with. Measure one hackle against the hook and you know that the hackle on the next 9 or so flies will be consistent.
Saddle Hackle.jpg

BobP

To put it in perspective, one of those packs as mentioned about at £7.99 would see just about every decent hackle taken from an equivalent cape at three times the cost.

Wee Jimmy

I think you would do better by buying Whiting hen capes. Brilliant quality, more mobility for a wet fly hackle and so much cheaper.
Nigel at Lakeland fly tying has good stocks and will give you sound advice.
Yeah I have quite a few already...👍

m r roid

Whitings rooster saddles are brilliant for tying dry fly hackles. Irrespective of the grade, the barb length is pretty much uniform for the entire length of the hackle.
I work on the 'equation' that a size 16 dry required about 4 turns, or an inch of hackle. Therefore, a 20 inch saddle hackle should be good for at least 18 flies, taking into account wastage, and flue at the butt end.

Last edited:

pentlandflyman

Fly tying boutique does his own version of the whiting 100 packs but you get about half again so enough to tie 130 to 150 if you're careful. You can mix n match colours so ideal for anyone not tying loads of dries. It would probably do the average home tyer many years so well worth a look. The hackles are taken from whiting red top saddles and tie in the 14 to 18 size range.

Anyone wanting hen capes the whiting 4b necks are fantastic, lakeland have a big range of colours and is due a re stock soon so keep an eye out.

Last edited:

JRT

I get my capes from featheremporium - most are unpackaged but perfectly graded and much cheaper than elsewhere. He does packs and half capes too.
Also he’s one of the few flat wing saddle sources for your saltwater flies.

boisker

I get my capes from featheremporium - most are unpackaged but perfectly graded and much cheaper than elsewhere. He does packs and half capes too.
Also he’s one of the few flat wing saddle sources for your saltwater flies.

have you ever had an issues with feather emporium?
I’ve been tempted before, but he gets some terrible reviews for reliability

PaulD

This is a revealing review.

HE IS NO LONGER A DEALER FOR WHITING FARMS

November 6th, 2017

I have been trying to get feathers from David Roberts, at Feather Emporium, for months now, without any success. I`ve e-mailed, I`ve called, and I always get the same response. No return e-mail, and an excuse on the phone about why he has to call me back. He never does call back though.
I finally e-mailed Whiting Farms, and here is their response:
I am sorry for your experience with Feather Emporium. Although Dave Roberts is selling Whiting Farms products, he is no longer a dealer for us. He has bought thousands of pelts from us in the past and I would guess he still has a large amount of our product to move. We do not have him listed as one of our dealers and we do not encourage anyone to purchase from him. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences.

So there you have it folks. Don`t order from Feather Emporium, because he can``t and won`t fill your order - he will be happy to take your money though.