Who could make a 10ft 2wt ?

Spider

Reading a thread earlier about UK etc made rods, most makers I have seen mentioned seem to do the more common sizes, eg 9ft 5wt's. Does anyone know of an independent maker who could craft a 10ft 2 wt for nymphing etc?

sean freeman

Sandy Nelson can basically get any blank you want from Mike McFarland in the USA. Sandy has a pair of 10’3” 3wt nymphing rods at the min that one of the Scottish international team reckons he should soften a bit to make it a 2wt. The 3wt is getting excellent feedback though so I’m on the list for next winter. I’m sure between him and Mike (one of the best modern taper designers) they can sort something for you.

Should have asked budget too, Stickman do a rod called a Ti2 that would suit your needs but it’s pricey. Excellent but pricey.

Spider

Seán, how much wud the nelson/mcfarland blank / rod be, do u reckon? Could I choose a blank colour etc?

sean freeman

Sandy’s current nymphing rod is £475, I’m sure Mike will paint blanks as he does it for the other companies and builders he manufactures for but his preference is a natural finish, whether that be carbon or glass. Sandy’s price is by far the best you’ll find for a rod built on a blank by McFarland though. It’s still expensive but he’ll make you a truly custom rod. Have a look at his web page to get a taste, it’s also worth messaging him if you have any questions as he’s a top bloke. Very knowledgeable too.

This is a recent bugslinger he done that has a beautiful figured reel seat. Love the spec, gutted I have to wait for next years build slots now but I got a glass rod from him that I can have a play with until then!

E6A8A3E8-A201-4E98-8935-87D3814DA368.jpeg

81630148-41A8-4096-B5B6-2D82B617AB32.jpeg

rabmax

Spider.The 10/3wt Nymphamaniac is a great rod.The tip section is so much more sensitive than any other rod i own.I would say it really is a 2wt fly rod although it says 3wt.Maybe an option.

Latest posts