Who Makes Fly Lines?

Tangled

These are the ones we know, can anyone add more information?

Manufacturers
Airflo - Based in the UK, now owned by Mayfly Outdoors, an American company.
Cortland - USA
Monic - USA
Northern Sport Fishing- UK and Canada, now probably only manufacturing in Canada
22M Ltd - UK, probably no longer manufacturing.
Rio - USA. Owned by Fairbank who also own Sage
Scientific Anglers (Orvis owned) - USA
Leichi - China. Best known for their brand Maxcatch. (Not much is known about Leichi they may outsource production and there may be many more Chinese manufacturers.

The manufacturers make and retail their own branded lines but they can also make lines for other retailers in a process called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). If you know who makes the lines for these brands please let us know!

Branded OEM fly lines
(Some educated speculation here)

Barrio, made by Northern Sports Fishing (we think). UK & Canada
Hardy
Greys
Wychwood
Shakespeare - probably made by Northern Sports
Royal Wulff - Scientific Anglers
Snowbee
Sunray
Loop - made by Scientific Anglers (which Orvis own). USA.
Vision
Orvis - made by Scientific Anglers (which Orvis own). USA.
Guideline
Scierra
Mackenzie
LTS
Sage - made by RIO
Daiwa
Leeda
Ron Thompson
MDI Aquapro - made by Northern Sports Fishing, Uk & Canada
Arc - made by Airflo
SKB (UK)
Teeny - made by Cortland
Maxcatch - made or possibly outsourced by Leichi, China
Sexyloops
Ballistic
Spartan - made by 22M

Off-the-shelf or Design?
Some of the brands simply buy a line off the rack and stick their own label on it - which may/will be one used by others - but a few others are designers that have their unique lines made for them. Who are they?

Barrio

Here's a thread from 2007, with information which may or not be out of date...

Last edited:

arawa

Good idea for a thread.
Not certain, but a few years ago I was told by the dealer I was buying it from that Wulff lines were made by SA.

I would add Teeny lines to your list; They were the only midge tips I could find in 3 and 4 weights.

JayP

Good idea for a thread.
Not certain, but a few years ago I was told by the dealer I was buying it from that Wulff lines were made by SA.

I would add Teeny lines to your list; They were the only midge tips I could find in 3 and 4 weights.
One of my favourite Teeny lines was the Lafontaine, cracking small stream line sadly discontinued

original cormorant

Jim Teeny is credited with a lot of innovations especially on tips and sinking lines and flies but was/is a guide with a range of tackle rather than a manufacturer. You can still pick up a limited range of Teeny lines but the packaging hasn't changed for over 20 years. The business is pretty much a one man show and has been running about 50 years so unless someone buys the brand expect it to have a limited life.

A couple more to add to the list - Ballistic and sexyloops.

I advise keeping away from US private label brands as almost every sizeable tackle shop has their own inhouse brand.

It's worth noting that some brands are off the shelf tapers provided by the manufacturer (?Sportfish) whereas others (eg Barrio) are tailored to the brand developers specification.

Last edited:

suzuki15hp

These are the ones we know, can anyone add more information?

Manufacturers
Airflo - Based in the UK, now owned by Mayfly Outdoors, an American company.
Cortland - USA
Monic - USA
Northern Sport Fishing- UK and Canada, now probably only manufacturing in Canada
Rio - USA
Scientific Anglers (Orvis owned) - USA
Leichi - China. Best known for their brand Maxcatch. (Not much is known about Leichi they may outsource production and there may be many more Chinese manufacturers.

The manufacturers make and retail their own branded lines but they can also make lines for other retailers in a process called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). If you know who makes the lines for these brands please let us know!

Branded OEM fly lines
Barrio, made by Northern Sports Fishing (we think). UK & Canada
Hardy
Greys
Wychwood
Shakespeare
Royal Wulff - possibly made by Scientific Anglers?
Snowbee
Sunray
Loop
Vision
Orvis - made by Scientific Anglers (which Orvis own). USA.
Guideline
Scierra
Mackenzie
LTS
Sage
Daiwa
Leeda
Ron Thompson
MDI Aquapro - made by Northern Sports Fishing, Uk & Canada
Arc - made by Airflo
SKB (UK)
Teeny
Maxcatch - made or possibly outsourced by Leichi, China
I think there's only 2 fly line manufacturers in the UK now, as Northern Sport only manufacture in Canada.

The 2 remaining in the UK are Airflo, who we all know, and 22M who manufacture for SKB, Barrio (I think) and a few others via the OEM route.

Tangled

I think there's only 2 fly line manufacturers in the UK now, as Northern Sport only manufacture in Canada.

The 2 remaining in the UK are Airflo, who we all know, and 22M who manufacture for SKB, Barrio (I think) and a few others via the OEM route.

22M are tiny, just 2 employees. Interesting.

suzuki15hp

jeffhirst

A very good thread. The spool is often a giveaway as to manufacture. Last week I was talking to Simon Kidd of Snowbee and he was very cagey when I asked who made their lines...all he said they were British and all PVC(So that knocks out Airflo). Some Hardy lines are or were SA.

arawa

A bit of googling suggests that SA made Sage lines but it is now RIO (which Sage’s owner bought??). Same source says SA make Loop lines and Cortland makes Teeny (was Rio). .

Last edited:

boisker

A bit of googling suggests that SA made Sage lines but it is now RIO (which Sage’s owner bought??). Same source says SA make Loop lines and Cortland makes Teeny (was Rio). .
Sage, Rio and reddington all owned by Fairbanks
orvis owns SA, and SA now make all orvis lines

campsiefisher

UK line manufacturers are 22m Airflo and Shakespeare/Pure Fishing (now Northern Sports)
US line manufacturers are 3m, Cortland, and Rio

22m make lines for Carron, Snowbee and at one time (possibly still) Barrio
Airflo make lines for Ron Thompson, Airflo, Guideline, and some Greys lines
Shakespeare make lines for Worcestershire, Shakespeare, and some Greys lines

3m make Scientific Anglers, Wullf and Leeda lines
* Note Scientific Anglers was purchased by Orvis, not 3m
Cortland make Cortland, Masterline and Jim Teeny lines.
Rio make Rio and Scierra lines

My tuppence worth is that Scientific Anglers (3m are head and shoulders above any other line manufacturer in the world, although Airflo now seem to corner the UK market for sub surface lines).

*Note SKB are not a uk based tackle manufacturer they purchased from overseas.

Best regards
Jim

Tangled

UK line manufacturers are 22m Airflo and Shakespeare/Pure Fishing (now Northern Sports)
That's great information, thanks, can we bat this about a bit?

Are you saying that Pure has acquired Northern?

US line manufacturers are 3m, Cortland, and Rio
Do you think 3M is still making fly lines? I guess they could be; I'm confused by this:

2013 Scientific Anglers is purchased from 3M by the Orvis Company, based in Manchester, Vermont, the first ownership change for Scientific Anglers in decades. This leads to a complete rebranding of the company, with a new color scheme, new logo, and new packaging.
*Note SKB are not a uk based tackle manufacturer they purchased from overseas.

I have SKB as a UK company that buys OEM products, but I don't have where from

eddleston123

Does anyone actually know of cases were a fly line manufacturer sells exactly the same fly line to different companies and the differences in price that they are ultimately retailed for.

For eg. could a line be retailed at say £30 by one brand - and EXACTLY the same line be retailed at say £70 by a prestige company like Rio. Or is this suggestion more of a myth than reality.

Douglas

campsiefisher

tangled : Are you saying that Pure has acquired Northern?
===
No
In 2009, Northern Sport purchased the manufacturing division of Shakespeare (UK) Ltd., from Pure Fishing Inc.

===

tangled:
Do you think 3M is still making fly lines? I guess they could be; I'm confused by this:
2013 Scientific Anglers is purchased from 3M by the Orvis Company.
===
3m make fly lines, but Leeda their uk distibutor are somewhat incompetent when it comes to marketing and distribution. Orvis only acquired SA and Ross

===

eddleston123: Does anyone actually know of cases were a fly line manufacturer sells exactly the same fly line to different companies and the differences in price that they are ultimately retailed for.

edd, it has happended before and probably still does, fex: You would find little to no difference (if at all) in the now discontinued and excellent Scientific Anglers Kelly Green intermediate line and a Leeda Gallion intermediate line for less than half the cost of the SA.

Best regards
Jim

Last edited: