Who Makes Fly Lines?

The Squire

JayP

Interesting thread linked, I still have one of the Pitsford Pirate WF3 'camo' lines, and understand he sold the name to SKB fly fishing who still sell lines under the 'PP' banner. Does anyone know whether those are still UK manufactured?
I believe Stewart's lines were originally manufactured by Shakespeare but now made in China

bobnudd

Hmmm, didn't get their web site, no prices and I couldn't find out how to buy anything - just me?

Are you sure they're manufactured in the UK, not imported and rebadged?
I spoke to my friend today he had the web site taken down at the begin of the month. He is going get up in the new year when he hopes to have the rod for sale then eventually the reels. he is also going to have a full range of lines all made in Redditch. At the moment the lines are made in Bromsgrove. And they are made in this country he took me and showed me today. I think the hope is to market it as Reddithch fishing tackle

original cormorant

What about the Michael Evans range of lines, such as Arrowhead etc?
ME were identified as Shakespeare in 2007, which is before the shakespeare manufacturing was sold to Northern Sport. I seriously doubt that many/any ME lines have been made in the last 10 years, if so it's unlikely the manufacturer changed.

Freedrift

Northern Sport Fishing UK Limited - according to Company House they seem to be in a bad way:
Company status: Active — Active proposal to strike off. This means if nothing happens to reverse this PDQ the company will be dissolved and any assets go to the Crown.
Their accounts are overdue by over 1 year.

If Northern Sport Fishing UK Limited is going to be dissolved what's this going to do to the supply of OEM lines for the likes of Snowbee, Barrio? Or are these companies already supplied by Northern Sport from Canada. I glanced at Northern Sport Fishing Canada company info and it seemed OK, but I didn't go into any depth.

Is someone else lined up to take over the Northern Sport factory, etc?

PS This is my first post, hope I'm not reporting something you all know about already! :)

Rhithrogena

Northern Sport Fishing UK Limited - according to Company House they seem to be in a bad way:
Company status: Active — Active proposal to strike off. This means if nothing happens to reverse this PDQ the company will be dissolved and any assets go to the Crown.

If Northern Sport Fishing UK Limited is going to be dissolved what's this going to do to the supply of OEM lines for the likes of Snowbee, Barrio? Or are these companies already supplied by Northern Sport from Canada. I glanced at Northern Sport Fishing Canada company info and it seemed OK, but I didn't go into any depth.

PS This is my first post, hope I'm not reporting something you all know about already! :)
Welcome to the forum Freedrift 🙂

Tangled

I think we assume that Northern Sports UK is kaput but we're assuming Canada will continue.

Freedrift

I have seen poor quality coming from some Snowbee and Barrio lines in the past, and now assume this was due to poor QC practices of Northern Sport's production. Mike Barrio's fairly recent forum posts have talked about his UK manufacturer not being able to cope with demand during Covid. As these posts would seem to be after Northern Sport went down the pan, perhaps Barrio has been/ is being supplied by 22M instead?

I am now considering buying a Loop Opti-Stream #5, I believe these are made by SA/Orvis and nothing at all to do with Northern Sport or 22M, so I'll know what I am getting!

suzuki15hp

I have seen poor quality coming from some Snowbee and Barrio lines in the past, and now assume this was due to poor QC practices of Northern Sport's production. Mike Barrio's fairly recent forum posts have talked about his UK manufacturer not being able to cope with demand during Covid. As these posts would seem to be after Northern Sport went down the pan, perhaps Barrio has been/ is being supplied by 22M instead?

I am now considering buying a Loop Opti-Stream #5, I believe these are made by SA/Orvis and nothing at all to do with Northern Sport or 22M, so I'll know what I am getting!
I'm pretty certain that Barrio lines come from 22M and not Northern Sport and indeed 22M currently have production issues.

Northern Sport ceased manufacturing fly lines in the UK immediately after the well publicised "fake line" case almost 2 years ago. Northern Sport only manufacture in Canada now.

Freedrift

Loop lines - are also made in UK. I just bought an Opti Drift WF5F which says made in USA on box, I think it is a PVC line. I also bought a Synchro Tactical Salmon (for my switch rod) which says made in UK, I believe the line is polyurethane, so I am wondering if it is made by Airflo as they only make PU lines, not sure if any other UK line maker uses PU. Both lines look good, haven't had a cast yet.

Richard B

Good evening, With great interest I read your discussion about flyfishing line manufacturers. Besides my work, I have been building splitcane rods as a hobby since 1998. So then you are also busy with lines and it seems as if this is becoming increasingly opaque. Now suppose that, against any advice, I still want to make lines as a hobby. Are there people who can advise me?

ohanzee

Now suppose that, against any advice, I still want to make lines as a hobby. Are there people who can advise me?

I'm presuming you would be using silk? Mrtrout might be able to help there, he knows the furling process.

Richardw is the only one I know that has used horsehair, I'm guessing not that but it would be interesting.

Richard B

For the silk lines I know excellent suppliers in France and Italy. No, that's not the problem. I mean plastic lines. And not that the quality has to improve, but you never know what you will get in terms of weight and diameter.

ohanzee

For the silk lines I know excellent suppliers in France and Italy. No, that's not the problem. I mean plastic lines. And not that the quality has to improve, but you never know what you will get in terms of weight and diameter.

I find the weights fairly reliable, and where they vary you can pull it in or extend it by a foot, what we lift off the water varies so a variation in the line is not really a thing, unless you buy lines without knowing what the profile is.

it's a bit like buying a bicycle tyre, they all look the same but are specifically and functionally very different, as is the experience riding on them.

The first plastic lines were dipped silk, Scientific Anglers started out doing that in a kitchen so it is possible to make one, would be interesting.

Troutpout31

Story on the ‘fly line’ is that Northern sport have indeed gone kaput down to the previous dodgy dealings and court case against one of the owners.

Troutpout31

I'm pretty certain that Barrio lines come from 22M and not Northern Sport and indeed 22M currently have production issues.

Northern Sport ceased manufacturing fly lines in the UK immediately after the well publicised "fake line" case almost 2 years ago. Northern Sport only manufacture in Canada now.
I can confirm that Northern Sport Uk only stopped manufacturing when they went into administration a few weeks ago! Canada aren’t capable of producing the same QC as the uk due to lack of knowledge. I have had lines from Canada that are nothing short of shocking and definitely not worth the money paid for them.