Who makes them.

York1e

With so many company's offering budget rods and more expensive rods, be interested if they make their own or out sourced to Asia. This question came up after a few pints in the local and one of my fellow fisherman mentioned the old photograph and I think it was a well known Midlands competition angler standing in a warehouse in China with racking marked clearly. Greys, Shimano, Shakespeare and a few more, not all fly rods back in the 1990's

haggstock

With so many company's offering budget rods and more expensive rods, be interested if they make their own or out sourced to Asia. This question came up after a few pints in the local and one of my fellow fisherman mentioned the old photograph and I think it was a well known Midlands competition angler standing in a warehouse in China with racking marked clearly. Greys, Shimano, Shakespeare and a few more, not all fly rods back in the 1990's
I think you are talking about the late Steve Parton. Amongst other things he was a tackle design consultant , and very knowledgable about overseas manufacturing. With the exception of a few predominantly USA top names and small one man band jobs , everything will come from China and Korea . South Korea is an extremely advanced manufacturing economy ,

sean freeman

I buy the majority of my rods/blanks from the USA but also NZ in regards to CTS and Spanish blanks from Maxia (they also roll the stickman blanks) but there’s no doubt the Korean built rods are of equal quality and I’d love to try a Douglas Sky G which is Korean built and supposedly excellent.

Not a fan of Chinese tackle but I can see why people would buy from the source rather than pay through the nose from a known brand. Most manufacturers will list where their top rods are built but may have 'made offshore' listed for their cheaper offerings which nine times out of ten means China.

vital

Low price rods are not that different to the mid-range rods, but the top end ones are genuinely better, but you have to 'cut your cloth to suit'. I don't own a Loomis or a Sage, but I have tried them both at a show and I could feel how good they were, the Loomis letting me punch a line into the wind with real ease. Impressive, no lie. I'll keep dreaming, but doubt whether I'll ever have one, unless I get lucky: a guy I know, out on a boat at a Wessex Water reservoir, spotted a section of line floating on the surface, and being environmentally conscious he hauled it in to the boat, (with some resistance), but eventually brought up a newish Hardy rod and reel which cleaned up well! Yet another case of 'money goes to money' ... rather than my way!

pisces feram

Banned
Banned
Vietnam is another big manufacturer now. I'm not sure about rods but have seen some great quality musical instruments produced there. Compared to say - a guitar - fly rods must be kids stuff for manufacturers.

Gdog

Low price rods are not that different to the mid-range rods, but the top end ones are genuinely better, but you have to 'cut your cloth to suit'. I don't own a Loomis or a Sage, but I have tried them both at a show and I could feel how good they were, the Loomis letting me punch a line into the wind with real ease. Impressive, no lie. I'll keep dreaming, but doubt whether I'll ever have one, unless I get lucky: a guy I know, out on a boat at a Wessex Water reservoir, spotted a section of line floating on the surface, and being environmentally conscious he hauled it in to the boat, (with some resistance), but eventually brought up a newish Hardy rod and reel which cleaned up well! Yet another case of 'money goes to money' ... rather than my way!
I hope he handed the rod in to the fishing lodge to allow the owner to get their rod back. I would, something that expensive is hardly finders keepers, particularly when it is another angler.
If I found someone's wallet, I'd hand it in to the police.
It would be different if I found a fiver on a footpath. 😁

York1e

I think you are talking about the late Steve Parton. Amongst other things he was a tackle design consultant , and very knowledgable about overseas manufacturing. With the exception of a few predominantly USA top names and small one man band jobs , everything will come from China and Korea . South Korea is an extremely advanced manufacturing economy ,
Yes it was Steve Parton whom I met back in 1980's

vital

I hope he handed the rod in to the fishing lodge to allow the owner to get their rod back. I would, something that expensive is hardly finders keepers, particularly when it is another angler.
What happened was that he asked a Ranger if anyone had reported losing a rod and reel, the Ranger said no, so the chap gave the fishery his phone number ... but never heard another thing! ... as I said "money goes to money"

andrewparkeruk

I would advise you not to hand anything to anyone.

By all means report a found wallet to the Police; report a found rod to the fishery.

Give them your details, not the details of the found object, so that a genuine person who has lost the item can contact you, and prove to you that they are the legitimate owner.

You have no idea whether the person you are handing the found item to has any scruples

Hardrar

The Japanese make some great rods, Morris ( Varivas) as one and Shimano used to be made out there, I have some of the original Shimano rods that came from Japan.
I used to buy a lot of Sparton products, he was always one for a good story and had some great value products.

Last edited:

tenet

This was one of Steves pet hobby horses, but one thing that does affect price is the guarantee offered , standing by 25 year warranties attaches a fair bit of cost to a rod.
Another pet hate was the "Lifetime Guarantee".

Latest posts