Why are the simplest flies the hardest to tie?

len1

Davie McPhail’s spider pattern.
F07159D8-99B3-4EC6-A6F0-9BAB96F2B682.jpeg

iainmortimer

I would say either a sparse spider in keeping a small neat head, flat body and even hackling or one of the patterns with just a dubbing body and deer hair giving the difficulty of getting deer hair to sit the way you want until you've been shown how and practiced.

arkle

Don't Forget the old adage's "measure twice, cut once", "use half as much material as you think you need, & then start taking more of it away", & "add lightness"

icejohn

Appart from the size ie being small to tie the spider patterns arent that difficult to tie. obviously getting to look exactly like

Davie McPhail takes some practise and count your turns to match his in the videos particlar his smaller patterns.

Rhithrogena

Anything with knotted pheasant tail legs is a nightmare for me - life is way too short for that; and I would have a horrible image of Asian kids bent over feathers if I bought the pre-knotted ones...

Rhithrogena

Anything with knotted pheasant tail legs is a nightmare for me - life is way too short for that; and I would have a horrible image of Asian kids bent over feathers if I bought the pre-knotted ones...
Oh and dries with matched slip wings of starling, or such. No, No, No 😂

arkle

Rhithrogena, The legs, sold by Veniard's, at least over the last 5 years, are no longer tied in Asia. As a friend of mine in the far west of England ties them. I used to rue the day, when "bob a job"week was wound up by the scouts, as 5p for a complete pheasant tail feather was a yearly bargain to good to be true ! (sorry, but bold type not intended)​