Why aren't blue flies popular

clag

Blue Zulu anyone? 40 years ago in Rough Stream Trout Flies Taff Price noted how good this fly was on rivers running with a bit of colour. He was absolutley correct. As Capn F may or may not remember, in the 80s Dicksons (RIP) used to sell a version that had a blue hen hackle and no black body hackle - oh did those trooties of the stream like those....

Not really done so well on stillwaters with it but occassionally, just occassionaly....

BobP

I used to do an electric blue booby with yellow boobs that was highly effective at Farmoor. Haven't used one of those for many years so perhaps it's time to revive it.

dgp

I used to do an electric blue booby with yellow boobs that was highly effective at Farmoor. Haven't used one of those for many years so perhaps it's time to revive it.
Electric blue boobs should get them going !!

Cap'n Fishy

Another thing about blue...

If you go for pure blue (as in zero red or yellow), it is quite different to most of the blues we use in flies.

Jacquard do a 'Brilliant Blue' dye that gives pure blue. This is a cape dyed with it...

The blue in barred jay is pure blue...

However, a lot of the blues we use have some yellow in them... which gives turquoise. Kingfisher blue has a lot of turquoise in it, and the blue-headed muddler I posted upthread is 75% Jacquard Turquoise/25% Jacquard Brilliant Blue.

Compare the cape above with the real thing...

When it comes to Veniard's 'Teal Blue' - that is kingfisher/turquoise....

I'm still not sure what 'Silver Doctor' Blue is????

Col

dgp

Your images are stunning - am blown away by the Kingfisher image🤩 The blue completely new to me is Ilen blue - never heard of it before but must experiment with peacock feathers

Cap'n Fishy

Your images are stunning - am blown away by the Kingfisher image🤩 The blue completely new to me is Ilen blue - never heard of it before but must experiment with peacock feathers

Cheers. As mentioned - ilen blue is not a colour as such, as in a pigment. It is a 'colour effect', achieved by mechanical means of light trickery. So, at any time it can go tits-up on you. As we said, your nice ilen blue feathers can go dull green when you get them wet, fishing with them.

Col

dgp

Cheers. As mentioned - ilen blue is not a colour as such, as in a pigment. It is a 'colour effect', achieved by mechanical means of light trickery. So, at any time it can go tits-up on you. As we said, your nice ilen blue feathers can go dull green when you get them wet, fishing with them.

Col
Just an aside but a serious thought. Your images that I've had the privilege to see on here capture the true essence of fly fishing in Scotland from the fish, the weather, the situations, the flies etc. etc Would love to see a collection with narrative in a book - why not publish. I and many many others would buy it !

Cap'n Fishy

Just an aside but a serious thought. Your images that I've had the privilege to see on here capture the true essence of fly fishing in Scotland from the fish, the weather, the situations, the flies etc. etc Would love to see a collection with narrative in a book - why not publish. I and many many others would buy it !

Cheers and many thanks for the sentiment, but they are all freely available to everyone here...

Cap'n Fishy

😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Here is the fly described above - not a Goat's Toe, not a Peterson's Pennell, but it caught a lot of fish, back in the day...

For all the ilen blue feathers are best suited to bigger hooks, such as 10s, I found the fly worked best in the smaller sizes - 14s and even 16s, if you could find a few neck feathers small enough. The one in the photo is a 14.

And here is the lure...

Hook - Kamasan B800 10-14
Thread - fluorescent yellow
Tail - red wool (it was ordinary knitting wool, but it was moderately fluorescent)
Body - fluorescent yellow tying thread, with pearl tinsel over
Hackle - hot orange
Wing - two ilen blue feathers, back to back.
Head - black varnish

Both of them accounted for some number of Leven fish in the 1980s!

Col

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

a lot of flies incorparate blu jay as a head hackle or tied in as a beard
bumbles
watson2.jpg
invictas
silver invicta.jpg

george barron uses a blue dyed grizzly hackle in a few of his patterns
heres his roosky bumble
roosky bumble 12.jpg
golden olive
goldenolive bumble2bg 12 g barron.jpg
claret bumble
claret bumble gbarron 12 g 1.jpg
the donegal blue supposed to be very effective in that part of the world donegal blue.jpg
i always thought blue was one of the best colours suited to seatrout
silverdoctor 12.jpg
and i read somewhere in some book it can look green in peaty coloured water also

Attachments

• golden olive g barron12.jpg
    golden olive g barron12.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: dgp

dgp

Cheers and many thanks for the sentiment, but they are all freely available to everyone here...

Cap'n Fishy

😜

Col
Col
Many thanks for the link to your website - I should have guessed you had one but never thought to ask!
a lot of flies incorparate blu jay as a head hackle or tied in as a beard
bumbles
View attachment 31826
invictas
View attachment 31827

george barron uses a blue dyed grizzly hackle in a few of his patterns
heres his roosky bumble
View attachment 31816
golden olive
View attachment 31825
claret bumble
View attachment 31823
the donegal blue supposed to be very effective in that part of the world View attachment 31818
i always thought blue was one of the best colours suited to seatrout
View attachment 31817
and i read somewhere in some book it can look green in peaty coloured water also
Thanks for posting - some cracking flies there. Have learned a lot from this and one of my winter projects will be to tie some flies with a touch of blue (y)

lipslicker

Any time a discussion on UV-visibility comes up, there is mention of evidence of juvenile migratory fish being able to see into the UV range, but I have no idea if there is any connection between that and what seems to be the case that returning adult salmon and sea trout often like a bit of blue in the fly.

Another of my best loch salmon and sea trout flies is a silver Invicta double on the tail.

This variant, with blue guinea fowl at the throat picked up 2 of those Loch Brora salmon. It came out in the net on this one - phew! 😜

Col

LOVE that bottom picture.
That is fantastic.

bobmiddlepoint

The wings on the fully hatched beastie are blue! (well they are in the dry pattern anyways)
bert

Only somebody from a grey and colourless place such as Scotland could describe the wings of a natural iron blue dun as "blue". The bodies of some damsel and dragonflies are blue, the wings of some butterflies are blues, the wings on an iron blue dun are dark grey! I don't know who ties your dry iron blues but I've never seen one with a kingfisher blue wing!

Bloody hell I'm arguing the toss over shades of blue, must go to bed!

Andy

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Only somebody from a grey and colourless place such as Scotland could describe the wings of a natural iron blue dun as "blue". The bodies of some damsel and dragonflies are blue, the wings of some butterflies are blues, the wings on an iron blue dun are dark grey! I don't know who ties your dry iron blues but I've never seen one with a kingfisher blue wing!

Bloody hell I'm arguing the toss over shades of blue, must go to bed!

Andy
who said kingfisher blue?
thats electric blue, not iron blue!

bert

rabmax

I was fishing Perdigon nymphs quite a bit a few years back.Light blue or Royal blue was 2 of my best catchers.I still have loads tied up.Will need to stick some back into my fly box.Seemed to work everywhere i fish.