Why has carp fishing become more popular than fly fishing?

diawl bach

Having been in quite a few tackle shops through Wales, a land blessed with an abundance of wild trout, I see the carp fisher is better catered for than the fly fisher. How did we get here?

BobP

How many answers do you want because there are dozens to that question?

Carp are returned alive to the water and no-one moans because they can't be smacked on the skull and taken home to prove how clever the angler is.

Day tickets are usually quite cheap and the angler can often drive right up to his chosen swim. On many fisheries he has a good chance - if he's any good - of catching up to and often more than 100lbs of fish. Don't know many trout fisheries that can match that.

Many good carp fisheries have excellent facilities. No need to crouch behind a bush when you've got a tiled and clean loo.

There are a few carp angling programmes on tv and other anglers don't b*tch about it & complain that it doesn't show this, that or the other aspect of the sport.

There are big money competitions & that attracts sponsors and tv coverage.

Carp can be big, eg 30, 40, 50lbs plus. 8 ounce wild trout does not begin to register.

That's just half a dozen that come to mind. There will be lots more.

The above post is the ***** answer and tells us why carp angling is popular

Vintage Badger

Sit on a seat, drink lager, wait for the buzzer to go off and the "fish" weigh many poondies ??
Plus not only do you get to buy the matching hat and bag, but also lots and lots of toys too, with all kinds of electronic gizmos to choose from, including a remote control boat fitted with fish-finding sonar, a little tent to live in, and a big wheelbarrow to transport it all from the van (too much kit to fit in a mere car!) to the lake side. It's a tackle tart's dream! ;)

codyarrow

About half the WBT I catch are half pound or under. It just does not float youngsters boats. Last years quality catch was a fish just over a pound. Biggest fish caught in that Loch for years, inspiring too me but a youngster would probably find a 5lb carp easier and more satisfactory.

Whinging pom

If I wasn’t a member of a club with the only trout stream in the county. I’d be paying for the bank fishing £29 at Rutland, £25 at Elinor ( and £21 for a junior) or I can go to bluebell lakes round the corner where there’s Uk record breaking carp and catfish for £15 ( £10 concessions )for two rods. Or any other number of course fisheries around here for under £10, and finally £5 for a day on the Nene for everything from pike to barbel chub to tench. Licences are cheaper.
Many of us learn by course fishing first so you already have the basics and interest . And though you can go over board equipping both types . A basic decent course set up is so much cheaper and it’s not as intimidating for new comers.

Black sheep

I’ll add that I do course fish and do catch carp but I don’t go ‘carping’. I like the one bag approach to my fishing. I think it’s good marketing and it’s a way for lads to get away from life for a weekend.

ohanzee

Got to say from what I have seen they respect and treat the fish very well.

Rhithrogena

Fishing for carp on a flys even more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG_20210612_181240116_HDR-01.jpeg

They fight a bloody sight harder than your average trout too. This girl was 90 yards away in a few seconds. Totally self-seeding wild stock in an 800 acre water 😉

smallmouth

In most parts of England, coarse fishing has always been more popular than fly fishing, because in most aspects, (socially, financially, proximity, skill acquisition, every aspect really), it is and always has been, much more accessible.

Carp fishing has become more popular than the other branches of coarse fishing, because at “entry level” it’s become ever more accessible, and the heavily stocked “commercial” fisheries enable a beginner to quickly start catching decent sized fish that really pull back.

I don’t understand why carp fishing would be more popular than fly fishing in a country like Wales, which having never fished there, I always imagine, (and hope), still has an abundance of very accessible fly fishing opportunities.

ohanzee

A place to go and stay overnight, food, toilets, beer, drugs, legitimate respectable pass time excuse, it's basically a campsite with a pond, what's not to like?

wobbly face

Carp:
It's the in thing, easier to do.
Farmers diversify by digging a few ponds, fill with water and a few waterside plants, stock once with carp and let anglers feed them up and charge whatever for them to fish.

Trout:
Farmers diversify by digging a few ponds, fill with water and a few waterside plants, stock ............... how many times and at what cost? Anglers don't feed trout, if they stop catching they go elsewhere.

I've seen quite a few trout waters go to carp, far less work and costs for the farmers and equals more money for them.

smallmouth

I don't know the habits of carp aficionados, I hope it goes no further than kissing.
Johnny Vegas is a carp fisherman....... 2 minutes 24 seconds into the Last Leg clip on YouTube..........