Why has carp fishing become more popular than fly fishing?

BobP

A whole lot of complete inorance aboiut carp fishing heavily laced with typical trout angler inverted snobbery, and I'm not a carp angler. However, I'm enough of an all round angler to appreciate the skills and work that carp anglers put into their sport. Infinitely more than trout anglers I might add.

squimp

Some of the uninformed anti carp/coarse fishing comment on this site is frankly embarrassing.

Its one of the reasons why I don’t bother to contribute very often.

Some of us fish for carp (and other coarse species) on quiet, low stock venues, don’t camp; and it is considerably more challenging that most trout fishing…..

Furthermore I would contend that fishing for a variety of species (game/sea/coarse) is likely to make somebody a better angler.

4wings

Carp fishing is a very social angling sport, with even the most secretive bait makers camping in clusters, swopping receipes, drinking low alchohol brews.

Overmiwadrers

As someone who had a go at serious Carp fishing back in the 70s and 80s before it went super high tech. I would say carp are a fascinating fish to pursue. These days though it has become very high tech and it is pretty easy to pay your money go the local commercial with your ready made rigs and baits. lob a bait out hook up your alarm and catch big carp. It now ticks the easy gratification box , big style , So it is going to be popular . As said above youngsters like the whole camping and social side . Tackle businesses like it I remember Chas burns telling me that he wouldnt have survived as long as he did but for Carp fishing In his words they spend far more money than tight arsed trout fisherman. The modern Carp scene ruined it for me, To much tech completely . In the 60 s and 70 s the scene was much different . Everyone was finding there way . the first night session I did my bight alarm was a steel washer on the spool over a tin plate.... A guy called Jack Hilton showed me the first proper bite alarm I saw . I remember I couldnt bloody afford one though.

Totally agree with squimp "Furthermore I would contend that fishing for a variety of species (game/sea/coarse) is likely to make somebody a better angler." Also many coarse and carp anglers switch to fly eventually looking for a fresh challenge,

My worry about fishing generally is that it is becoming increasingly thought of as requiring so much gear to start with...kids are being put of it

O M W

Rhithrogena

Being a fan of Richard Walker when I was younger I liked the whole 'specimen hunter' thing. The carp scene is a direct result of his catches raising the bar in this area.
Live and let live, I say, but I really think repeat captures of the same fish are eventually going to be problematic with the rise of the 'woke' agenda. Anglers are going to need a united front and an informed stance on this, I fear.

PaulD

Being a fan of Richard Walker when I was younger. . .
My experience was very similar. Growing up in West Cornwall I was lucky that I had access to a farmer's pond that I could walk to across the fields. It held carp, tench, orfe and rudd and I learned so much about 'fishing' from that place and the visiting anglers I also met and who would leave me their bait when they left.

I also had access to the little River Kennall for trout which I initially fished downstream with a free-lined worm before reading in a book that you were supposed to cast it upstream.

This was the mid-60s, the era of the emergence and rapid growth of reservoir trout fishing. The Angling Times was full of reports from Richard Walker, Cyril Inwood et al, huge bags of rainbows weighing around 6lbs each. It was so exciting - much like the angling magazines now which highlight the 'thrill and excitement' of carp fishing. When a reservoir opened close to my home it was so exciting to catch a rainbow trout!

Vintage Badger

I agree that it's each to their own and if their happiness entails buying lots of kit then so be it, as long as it's not doing anyone, or any fish, any harm. However, it shouldn't stop people being able to have a bit of a laugh about the foibles and traits of that. I'm sure we can all laugh at ourselves and some of the dafter bits of kit we've bought over the years, as well as poking a bit of fun at the 'hat and bag brigade', which I'm sure makes up a certain percentage of participants in virtually any hobby.

As for the accusations of displaying ignorance about different types of fishing, I don't think that can be applied across the board to those who've had a chuckle about perceived carp fishing 'stereotypes'. After all, the holder of the UK record for largest mirror carp for quite a few years was Chris Yates, a man who chose to dress in traditional clothes and use a split cane rod. Not a rod pod, bite alarm, bait boat or bivie in sight there, just a man who knew his fishing.

squimp

Being a fan of Richard Walker when I was younger I liked the whole 'specimen hunter' thing. The carp scene is a direct result of his catches raising the bar in this area.
Live and let live, I say, but I really think repeat captures of the same fish are eventually going to be problematic with the rise of the 'woke' agenda. Anglers are going to need a united front and an informed stance on this, I fear.
I caught the same brown trout twice in a week from the Thames. I was chub fishing with boilies at the time. It weighed around 3lb. I didn’t bother to weigh it.

I also caught a different one but only once…..

Should I have killed the first one, or both of them ?

Or neither ?

If you extend your ‘repeat captures’ line, where does ‘catch and release‘ trout fishing fit into that ?

senegals

I agree that it's each to their own and if their happiness entails buying lots of kit then so be it, as long as it's not doing anyone, or any fish, any harm. However, it shouldn't stop people being able to have a bit of a laugh about the foibles and traits of that. I'm sure we can all laugh at ourselves and some of the dafter bits of kit we've bought over the years, as well as poking a bit of fun at the 'hat and bag brigade', which I'm sure makes up a certain percentage of participants in virtually any hobby.

As for the accusations of displaying ignorance about different types of fishing, I don't think that can be applied across the board to those who've had a chuckle about perceived carp fishing 'stereotypes'. After all, the holder of the UK record for largest mirror carp for quite a few years was Chris Yates, a man who chose to dress in traditional clothes and use a split cane rod. Not a rod pod, bite alarm, bait boat or bivie in sight there, just a man who knew his fishing.
Have you seen the BBC Series 'A Passion for Angling' it featured Chris Yates and Bob James one of the best fishing series ever made with brilliant photography and for me captured the reason for going fishing.

One program featured Carp where they rented Redmire where Richard Walker had caught the record carp of 44lb, they were set a budget which to rent the lake for a week but got carried away in the auction and completely blew the budget. Chris yates was fishing with his normal vintage tackle while Bob James fished with the Hi Tech gear of the day.

I have the DVD but see some episodes available on-line

shropshire_lad

Having been in quite a few tackle shops through Wales, a land blessed with an abundance of wild trout, I see the carp fisher is better catered for than the fly fisher. How did we get here?
More of a mystery to me is where and when did fishing lose its magic.....and I think carp mania plays its part.

I was brought up on Mr Crabtree, Jack Hargreaves, etc, where everything about coarse fishing had an appeal - the tackle, the brightly coloured quill floats, the natural baits, etc. I frequently pass a carp lake that has a security gate to enter and high fencing. The guys there have multiple rods set up, expensive looking gear, tents, it all looks rather "scientific". As I read in a book @codyarrow lent me recently, it seems to have become a "war" against the fish rather than a natural pursuit.

The one thing I do get the appeal of is camping out overnight by the waterside and enjoying company. I don't get the appeal of catching "Keith" or his pals year after year. But then, neither do I get the appeal of catching big stocked trout from oversized stewponds.

It's the reason fly fishing still appeals - the tackle and techniques have moved on a bit but maybe not as much and traditional methods are still widely used. A 3/4 lb wild trout would make my day.....and my supper too, an added bonus :)

Rhithrogena

I caught the same brown trout twice in a week from the Thames. I was chub fishing with boilies at the time. It weighed around 3lb. I didn’t bother to weigh it.

I also caught a different one but only once…..

Should I have killed the first one, or both of them ?

Or neither ?

If you extend your ‘repeat captures’ line, where does ‘catch and release‘ trout fishing fit into that ?
Yes, all these points are exactly what I mean. We need to have answers for these questions. Sea angling on a lot of my patch is about to be stopped when the new HPMA's kick in. Don't be complacent, it's happening...

Vintage Badger

Have you seen the BBC Series 'A Passion for Angling' it featured Chris Yates and Bob James one of the best fishing series ever made with brilliant photography and for me captured the reason for going fishing.

One program featured Carp where they rented Redmire where Richard Walker had caught the record carp of 44lb, they were set a budget which to rent the lake for a week but got carried away in the auction and completely blew the budget. Chris yates was fishing with his normal vintage tackle while Bob James fished with the Hi Tech gear of the day.

I have the DVD but see some episodes available on-line
Yes, I watched that series when it first aired and thoroughly enjoyed it, I also got given the book for Christmas that year, which I still have. :)